Sponsored by:

Dynamic Engine Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 12:53 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Dynamic engine mounts, much like PDCC, is only something you miss when you realize it exists.

And because you now obviously do realize that dynamic engine mounts (as well as PDCC) is extant, you will forever wonder "what if" should you spec your car without either of these features.
Isn't that the truth! Thanks guys for all your help, and it has, as always, been very helpful.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:40 PM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW while driving my 2015 C2S the left dynamic engine mount failed. Car only had about 3K miles on it. Mount was replaced under warranty. I hope it was a fluke!
Old 12-19-2014, 12:35 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1

Conspiracy theory! I love it ... that's why I really loved the 996 GT3s so much ... there was so little (relatively) electronics in the way ... that's why I am an adherent to Walter Rohl's statement about his 964 RS vs. 991 GT3 ... when
he goes fast in the RS its because he is making it go fast... he's not so sure
in the 991 ...
I'm not familiar with his exact quote, but if he really said that ("not so sure") then it has deeper ramifications than are apparent at first glance. The obvious meaning everyone gets is the 964 had only its conventional suspension with nothing capable of interceding into driver control. (Well, almost. It did have ABS. Which means one has to go clear back to a 911 Carrera or SC like mine to have a true no-save drivers car!) The 991 however has a list of aids so long you could write a whole chuck911-length post and still not cover them all.

But that's on the surface. The deeper meaning is, he is not so sure! Which can only mean that these systems operate so seamlessly that even a pro like WR can't always tell: is it live? Or is it Memorex?

This goes back to something I've said a number of times when guys are talking about wearing out their rear brakes (not front, rear) on the track, or how the car handles on the track, etc. You and I both know NOBODY is gonna be wearing out REAR brakes faster than fronts- not if they're driving right. But this can easily happen if a driver is relying on these systems to get round the track. But if a driver as skilled as WR can't detect these systems in operation, well then no wonder our wanna-be's can't either. Then with there being no way of completely disabling these systems, and no way of the driver knowing when they're interceding, how in the world are people supposed to be able to really learn how to drive their cars?
Old 12-19-2014, 10:40 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I'm not familiar with his exact quote, but if he really said that ("not so sure") then it has deeper ramifications than are apparent at first glance. ............. But if a driver as skilled as WR can't detect these systems in operation, well then no wonder our wanna-be's can't either. Then with there being no way of completely disabling these systems, and no way of the driver knowing when they're interceding, how in the world are people supposed to be able to really learn how to drive their cars?
"Really" is an interesting condition. By the logic of the last sentence, anyone with an older 911 would need to have it set to stock ride height, camber and castor settings with original width wheels and period tires to "really" learn how to drive their cars. Really.

I think the deeper ramification is to learn the art of high speed driving more gradually than the car's ultimate capability, or in the wet, or on a slower car.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

I'm not familiar with his exact quote, but if he really said that ("not so sure") then it has deeper ramifications than are apparent at first glance. The obvious meaning everyone gets is the 964 had only its conventional suspension with nothing capable of interceding into driver control. (Well, almost. It did have ABS. Which means one has to go clear back to a 911 Carrera or SC like mine to have a true no-save drivers car!) The 991 however has a list of aids so long you could write a whole chuck911-length post and still not cover them all.

But that's on the surface. The deeper meaning is, he is not so sure! Which can only mean that these systems operate so seamlessly that even a pro like WR can't always tell: is it live? Or is it Memorex?

This goes back to something I've said a number of times when guys are talking about wearing out their rear brakes (not front, rear) on the track, or how the car handles on the track, etc. You and I both know NOBODY is gonna be wearing out REAR brakes faster than fronts- not if they're driving right. But this can easily happen if a driver is relying on these systems to get round the track. But if a driver as skilled as WR can't detect these systems in operation, well then no wonder our wanna-be's can't either. Then with there being no way of completely disabling these systems, and no way of the driver knowing when they're interceding, how in the world are people supposed to be able to really learn how to drive their cars?
I recall watching a PSDS GT2RS pulling into the car park after a hot lap of the Nordschleife during a PSDS school there back in '08-'09 watching the
rear pads smoking heavily ... I spoke with one of the instructors standing around and he commented that this was "normal" as a result of the cars
ABD systems working the rear brakes heavily... and that is with a GT car
which supposedly you can defeat the TC & SC ...

With PTV(+) this can only "get worse" ... especially on a regular Carrera where the PSM is never really "off" to the extent it is on a GT car...
Old 12-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

From 4:16 onwards...

Old 12-19-2014, 05:34 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Car25
FWIW while driving my 2015 C2S the left dynamic engine mount failed. Car only had about 3K miles on it. Mount was replaced under warranty. I hope it was a fluke!
What was effect when this happened? Did it throw a fault code?
Old 12-19-2014, 05:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
What was effect when this happened? Did it throw a fault code?
Yes. See here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8461...h-warning.html
Old 01-19-2015, 07:21 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for this informative discussion. I had found a 991 I liked without SC and DME. Now, I am convinced I should not go in that direction. Do love the color though. Oh well.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:01 PM
Stevie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

...Porsche is far better than anyone else at delivering technological improvements unobtrusively. So even though this is another great improvement, its also one you would not be likely to really appreciate until after spending some time getting used to it, and then driving a car without it. At which point you will be glad you got it.
This is the best description on Porsche's engineering expertise that I've ever read. Well done, Chuck!

-Steve
The following users liked this post:
mrjlevy (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 12:24 PM
mrjlevy
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Specific to your question…

Normal motor mounts always allow the engine/transmission to twist and shift under load. Imagine a keg of beer in the back seat. When you go into a turn everythings fine at first but the keg starts rolling until it hits something and stops at which point it rocks the car. Also if you stab the throttle real quick the first thing that happens is the engine/transmission twists in the mounts. Real power only gets transmitted to the wheels after this twisting slack has been absorbed. This is exactly what happens with normal motor mounts only since it happens all the time everyone's used to it.

This is why race cars like the Cup have in the past bolted the engine right to the frame. But now with Dynamic mounts we can have the best of both worlds.

The first time I drove a 911 with these the benefit was obvious. In 2nd gear we stabbed throttle to the floor and the acceleration was visceral and instantaneous. Felt just like a Cup car. But when tooling around it felt just like a normal 911.

The improved lateral control is harder to notice and depending on your sensitivity you may not notice it at all in normal or even quite aggressive street driving. On the track however I would think just about anyone would get it.

The problem is its one of those things like PDCC you can't really compare without changing cars. Porsche is far better than anyone else at delivering technological improvements unobtrusively. So even though this is another great improvement, its also one you would not be likely to really appreciate until after spending some time getting used to it, and then driving a car without it. At which point you will be glad you got it.
Well said, thank you. In contrast, I have 2013 Boxster S 981 with SC and was thinking it may not have been necessary after all (but for maybe resale) as I do find the Shifts in Sport + quite jarring and rarely use the mode. I have never driven a non SC, but I suspect for those that are not tracking cars or prefer fast, but smooth it is not necessary. It really comes down to your driving preferences, if you are purist then I think it is must have and if you are not, then I think most will be happy without.

Last edited by mrjlevy; 04-16-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:13 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

This thread died a natural death 6 years ago.

DaveGee
Old 04-16-2021, 05:39 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
This thread died a natural death 6 years ago.

DaveGee
Reincarnation is real, Dave, real, I tell ya.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:53 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

And timely for me - mine are sagging on one side in particular and need to be replaced. I find the tech rather obtrusive because my car is less than 4 years and I have a droopy tailpipe.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:42 PM
mrjlevy
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Content and discussion still relevant to those buying used, like I just did

Quick Reply: Dynamic Engine Mounts