Sponsored by:

engine overheat

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 01:36 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Louis: Glad the situation was resolved. I am hopefully coming to West Seattle again in January. Hope to see you and Chuck911. By the way, has anyone heard from our old friend Amar (w00tPORSCHE)? Is he still around? Hopefully we can organized a Rennlist Seattle group get together breakfast to coincide with my visit to The Great NorthWest!

Good photos. Thanks!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

My pleasure.

Originally Posted by STG991
Happy New Year Tony!

Can you please take some detailed pics and explanation of your solution to the fender cover/mesh project. I had looked at mine when they were off, but never got to it. I thought I'd need a really thin and flexible mesh.

Please keep us posted on your project.

Thanks!
My pleasure. And Happy New Year to you (as stated before, do wish that all would put there name/location in there sig so they can be properly addressed) Will post up pics later next week in the G.G. thread. STG, did notice you have already installed mesh in your front intakes and did a great job, any pics from that installation ? TIA T

Last edited by 77tony; 01-03-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:41 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 77tony
My pleasure. And Happy New Year to you (as stated before, do wish that all would put there name/location in there sig so you can be properly addressed) Will post up pics later next week in the G.G. thread. STG, did notice you have already installed mesh in your front intakes and did a great job, any pics from that installation ? TIA T
Unfortunately not. I had my body shop install them. Rennline are made to fit and pretty straight forward. Needed a little tweaking, but already pre cut/bent and powder coated black.

Last edited by STG; 01-03-2015 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:06 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately not. I had my body ship install them. Rennline are made to fit and pretty straight forward. Needed a little tweaking, but already pre cut/bent and powder coated black.
That's cool. Going to post up on the G.G. thread rather than littering up oldman's thread. T
Old 01-03-2015, 02:09 AM
STG
Race Director

Already ordered black diamond mesh from www.customcargrills.com (no affiliation). Will cut & tweak myself for the three intakes up front. Already have some black aluminum, commercial grade insect screen on hand for the inner fender liners and is very breathable. Applying Deoxit on all connectors before reinstalling FBC. Like to do things once and hopefully won't have to remove FBC again. Also, just ordered the BIG sample kit from Custom Car Grills and might choose from one of those instead of what's on hand regarding the W/W liner mesh. T
FYI. Some reading..

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4113787

A flexible aluminum screen is what I had in mind for the fenders. Let me know how you fasten it. That should be the easiest project. I didn't think it was that big of a deal not doing it, but I'm starting to hear more issues with stones causing problems there.

Have used custom car grills before. Great vendor.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:03 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

FYI. Some reading..

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4113787

A flexible aluminum screen is what I had in mind for the fenders. Let me know how you fasten it. That should be the easiest project. I didn't think it was that big of a deal not doing it, but I'm starting to hear more issues with stones causing problems there.

Have used custom car grills before. Great vendor.

Thanks.
Thank you and yes, Plenum is the man ! Custom Car Grills has been a pleasure to deal with. T
Old 01-03-2015, 09:27 AM
STG
Race Director

Thank you and yes, Plenum is the man ! Custom Car Grills has been a pleasure to deal with. T
T - you might find these helpful at some point too.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post3790369

For the DIY guys! Some great posts always over there on incredible step by steps.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:40 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Isn't the issue for the fans that debris gets in from the wheel well side, through the plastic grilles where air exits, where the fans are?

I understand the benefits of protecting the radiators from the front, but this is unrelated to the fans getting jammed, yes? (As the radiators themselves act as grilles/mesh for the fans mounted behind the radiators.)
Old 01-04-2015, 07:33 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 424 Likes on 276 Posts

My autostart stop feature doesn't even work. It used to work but now it doesn't. The car will coast when I have it at speed but it never shuts off when I am stopped. I have to take it into the dealer at some point.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
My autostart stop feature doesn't even work. It used to work but now it doesn't. The car will coast when I have it at speed but it never shuts off when I am stopped. I have to take it into the dealer at some point.
Winter weather demands??? Heated seats. Rear defroster. Heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-04-2015, 08:59 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
I'd take mine to the dealer to get it to do exactly that!
Old 03-15-2016, 02:57 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

update: over a year later, i noticed slight overheating again. i checked the front radiator fan function and the left was working hard, and the right not at all (again).

so i removed the fender guard myself this time, and about a 1/2 pound of gravel trapped between the fender guard and chassis fell out. 2 or 3 rocks had found their way into the fan housing, jamming the fan from spinning, and needed coaxing to extract.

this is getting old....

am i the only one with this issue? i don't live in a quarry, honest.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:54 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by oldman40
update: over a year later, i noticed slight overheating again. i checked the front radiator fan function and the left was working hard, and the right not at all (again).

so i removed the fender guard myself this time, and about a 1/2 pound of gravel trapped between the fender guard and chassis fell out. 2 or 3 rocks had found their way into the fan housing, jamming the fan from spinning, and needed coaxing to extract.

this is getting old....

am i the only one with this issue? i don't live in a quarry, honest.
How many miles do you have? Just curious.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:10 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

So just to be totally clear: based on their location, front grills would not prevent these rocks from being entrapped, correct?
Old 03-15-2016, 05:23 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
So just to be totally clear: based on their location, front grills would not prevent these rocks from being entrapped, correct?
I believe that the debris is being kicked up by the front wheels and is entering via the slats in the fender liner, not through the front grill.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:12 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

When I was changing to my aero spoiler, I took out the fender screw too and was really surprised at how much debris came out. I had no issues with the fans but was surprised at the amount of debris.

Quick Reply: engine overheat