Notices
991
Sponsored by:

Powered Folding Mirrors

 
Old 12-07-2014, 02:46 PM
  #1  
cdelrosario
User
Thread Starter
 
cdelrosario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 224
Default Powered Folding Mirrors

I have to say, I really am happy I have the Powered Folding Mirrors. Initially, I thought it was a novel, unnecessary option. However, I now have to say I very much appreciate this option.

Admiitedly, I simply cannot remember the more mundane things I do everyday without thinking. One of those items is remembering to set "Lucy's" alarm.

Now all I have to do is glance at her & if her mirrors are up, I know she's armed. Peace of Mind, priceless.

The exterior light doesnt hurt either.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2521
Size:  75.7 KB
cdelrosario is offline  
Old 12-07-2014, 03:06 PM
  #2  
Cheekymonkeyman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Cheekymonkeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sussex, UK
Posts: 599
Default

I'm totally with you and love my 'folders'... However there are 2 drawbacks to the folding mirrors I have discovered ;
1) it's also easy for others to see when you have forgotten to lock the car
2) the wing mirrors are pretty much the same width as the rear arches on the '4' so folding them in 'saves the glass but not the ***'
3) you have to unlock the car and put the key in the engine to take a decent photo
4) they're not the sports design mirrors (drool)
4) they delete any ability to count..
Cheekymonkeyman is offline  
Old 12-07-2014, 04:26 PM
  #3  
Justin N
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 243
Default

One thing I noticed the other day - there is only one part number for folding mirrors on the 991. I am wondering if we can simply add the switch and programming to add this feature on our cars if we don't have the power option?
Justin N is offline  
Old 12-07-2014, 04:52 PM
  #4  
rnl
User
 
rnl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Glenmoore, Pennsylvania
Posts: 614
Default

They also are great for my narrow garage. When They're folded it's easier to walk past car.

I also recently folded them an SUV pulled up behind me at a light with its high beams on
rnl is offline  
Old 12-07-2014, 05:25 PM
  #5  
Pez D. Spencer
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 92
Default

Cheekymonkey, there are three kinds of people, those that can count and those that can't.
Pez D. Spencer is offline  
Old 12-07-2014, 07:55 PM
  #6  
Dyim
User
 
Dyim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 512
Default

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman View Post
I'm totally with you and love my 'folders'... However there are 2 drawbacks to the folding mirrors I have discovered ;
1) it's also easy for others to see when you have forgotten to lock the car
2) the wing mirrors are pretty much the same width as the rear arches on the '4' so folding them in 'saves the glass but not the ***'
3) you have to unlock the car and put the key in the engine to take a decent photo
4) they're not the sports design mirrors (drool)
4) they delete any ability to count..
Originally Posted by Pez D. Spencer View Post
Cheekymonkey, there are three kinds of people, those that can count and those that can't.


I ordered mine for the lights under it.
Dyim is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 10:49 AM
  #7  
MerlinsGarage
User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 827
Default

Originally Posted by cdelrosario View Post
.................................... I know she's armed. Peace of Mind, priceless.

The exterior light doesnt hurt either.

Attachment 892576

Mostly yes, but if you lock and then unlock without turning the key in the ignition then no. The car will stay unlocked with the mirrors up.
We do this when we store the car for the winter and keep the car unlocked.
MerlinsGarage is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 02:20 PM
  #8  
MJBird993
User
 
MJBird993's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Beautiful North Carolina
Posts: 1,985
Default

OP - you don't really leave that radar detector on your windshield like that when you park the car, do you? That's just asking for trouble...
MJBird993 is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 09:30 PM
  #9  
Zmoney3982
User
 
Zmoney3982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 167
Default

Yeah get that detector hard wired in! I did, but I hate wires and all that extra stuff inside the car. I went with the sport design mirrors over the power folding
Zmoney3982 is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 09:47 PM
  #10  
gusp
User
 
gusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 148
Default

Originally Posted by Justin N View Post
One thing I noticed the other day - there is only one part number for folding mirrors on the 991. I am wondering if we can simply add the switch and programming to add this feature on our cars if we don't have the power option?
I'd like to know, too. And also ball park cost? (cost to DIY vs. dealer install)
gusp is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 10:39 PM
  #11  
cdelrosario
User
Thread Starter
 
cdelrosario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 224
Default

[QUOTE=MJBird993;11860291]OP - you don't really leave that radar detector on your windshield like that when you park the car, do you? That's just asking for trouble...[/

I will take out detector if I am out on the town...& it is hard wired.
cdelrosario is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 11:47 PM
  #12  
Pez D. Spencer
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 92
Default

If you don't have power folding mirrors, does the right side mirror still dip when you shift into reverse?
Pez D. Spencer is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 11:57 PM
  #13  
Duke I
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Duke I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: The Rockies
Posts: 565
Default

Originally Posted by Pez D. Spencer View Post
If you don't have power folding mirrors, does the right side mirror still dip when you shift into reverse?
Yes, unless deselected in the pcm.
Duke I is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 03:42 AM
  #14  
Cheekymonkeyman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Cheekymonkeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Sussex, UK
Posts: 599
Default

Originally Posted by Duke I View Post
Yes, unless deselected in the pcm.
This feature is only enabled with memory function.... Power folding mirrors alone will not give you the tilt in reverse... I know
Cheekymonkeyman is offline  
Old 12-09-2014, 03:53 AM
  #15  
THPorsche
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
THPorsche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,207
Default

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman View Post
This feature is only enabled with memory function.... Power folding mirrors alone will not give you the tilt in reverse... I know
I thought most modern car can activate the tilt by "selecting" the passenger side mirror.
THPorsche is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Powered Folding Mirrors


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: