Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Ceramic brakes worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

The idea that *some* people would pay $8,000 for PCCB where the primary driver (ha!) in that decision is the different color of the caliper (looks cool at Cars & Coffee!!!!) is embarrassing. I know Porsche is smart enough to make the caliper color different so that those "in the know" know that Hey I'm An $8,000 Option. But to get sucked in by that is the ultimate in being a poseur.

Yes, I get that most here buy them for other reasons. I am only referring to those who would pay $8000 primarily to show off the fact that they spent $8,000 on them.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:00 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew_K
My Porsche salesman told me that in his experience the #1 reason why people buy the ceramics is to avoid brake dust, followed by the performance gain, followed by the caliper color. I'm not saying that's gospel, but passing it along.
I had them on my '06 C2S. I'm definitely getting them again for the dust reason. Stupid, maybe. But I hate cleaning the wheels on my 335 currently.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:39 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Had them on a couple cars in the past. Would never order them myself. If someone gave me a set, I would take them, although I'd probably sell them. Pre-owned, they are a negative for me. Much like center locking wheels.
Absolutely. As I look for my CPO 991, I skip right over cars that have either of these options. Oddly, sellers seem to think that the added expense and/or hassle that these two options incur will somehow be desirable. I guess if you're a member of the Way-More-Than-Enough-Money club, and you just can't bring yourself to deal with brake dust, and you aren't put off by yellow calipers (duh...since a thin coat of flat black paint is the only coating that sheds heat...anything else actually retains heat), and you'd rather pay to reduce unsprung mass in your rotors (which, by the way, are cast iron, not steel) than to simply replace your 20" wagon wheels with smaller/lighter/better-performing wheels...then go for the PCCBs. CL wheels are an even more questionable proposition since, on a road car, the CL feature is ostensibly there to reduce unsprung mass (again, on those huge/heavy 20" wheels!). Double, ironic "duh". I'm sorry to rant, but I can't help wondering if anyone bothers to ask the question "is this 'performance' option actually going to help me?" before plunking down the money...

Originally Posted by Chiboy
The idea that *some* people would pay $8,000 for PCCB where the primary driver (ha!) in that decision is the different color of the caliper (looks cool at Cars & Coffee!!!!) is embarrassing. I know Porsche is smart enough to make the caliper color different so that those "in the know" know that Hey I'm An $8,000 Option. But to get sucked in by that is the ultimate in being a poseur.

Yes, I get that most here buy them for other reasons. I am only referring to those who would pay $8000 primarily to show off the fact that they spent $8,000 on them.
Nailed it! The funny thing is, as I pointed out above (feel free to research this), the optimum color/coating for a brake caliper is a thin coat of flat black...anything else (including uncoated aluminum!) will retain more heat in the caliper and, hence, the brake fluid. Can you imagine the outcry if Porsche did the correct thing for performance (the whole point of the PCCB option, right?) by painting the PCCB calipers essentially the same color as the calipers on a base Carrera?
Old 12-01-2014, 09:58 PM
pap2828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Silver and Black wheels are the WORST for showing brake dust and the first drive rusty rotor dust after a wash (especially on black).

I've done quite a few Porsche black wheels. Very high maintenance. Love them, but they show everything.
thanks, this confirms!
Old 12-01-2014, 10:07 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Black Cayenne GTS wheels 10min after a wash. This is rotor rust dust. It only gets worse after this quickly!

Old 12-01-2014, 10:54 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
... since a thin coat of flat black paint is the only coating that sheds heat...anything else actually retains heat ...
Given otherwise identical paint, darker colors will radiate (and absorb radiant) heat faster than lighter colors. So, yes, black calipers will radiate heat faster than red, yellow or white, but none of these colors will not shed heat. However, since brake cooling, for rotors and calipers, is largely a function of airflow (convection, not radiation), the color of the caliper doesn't significantly matter to how fast brakes will cool.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:38 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Heat shedding? Is that when you're petting the car and find little quanta of heat getting stuck to your sweater?
Old 12-02-2014, 03:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Black Cayenne GTS wheels 10min after a wash. This is rotor rust dust. It only gets worse after this quickly!
Need to leaf blower after washing.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 12-02-2014, 03:50 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by apias
Given otherwise identical paint, darker colors will radiate (and absorb radiant) heat faster than lighter colors. So, yes, black calipers will radiate heat faster than red, yellow or white, but none of these colors will not shed heat. However, since brake cooling, for rotors and calipers, is largely a function of airflow (convection, not radiation), the color of the caliper doesn't significantly matter to how fast brakes will cool.
Since "darker colors will radiate (and absorb radiant) heat faster than lighter colors", and since black is the darkest color, and since flat black has more surface area to emit heat than gloss black has...then flat black will emit more heat than any other color, whether there's air blowing on it or not. This property holds true whether in an atmosphere or in a complete vacuum. Just ask NASA. They regularly utilize the effect (black vs white) to evenly cool spacecraft.

What this means is that, while you can achieve a cooling effect with no airflow (in a vacuum), based solely on the emissivity of the surface, you cannot achieve any convection cooling whatsoever if your surface has no emissivity. Introducing air flow does increase heat removal, as you say, through convection, but convection cannot exist if the surface has no emissivity, as there will be no heat "escaping" to be removed by the airflow. Therefore, optimum brake cooling requires optimum emissivity and airflow. Yes, more air flow will improve the convection cooling of any color, but it will improve the cooling of flat black more than it will improve the cooling of, say, gloss white, precisely because flat black's emissivity is superior. A given amount of air flow will remove more heat from a high-emissivity surface (flat black) than from a lower-emissivity surface (gloss white). So, brake cooling, for rotors and calipers, is a function of both convection and emission. You cannot have convection cooling of these components without heat emission...if the heat remains locked within the components (no emission), no amount of air flow will provide any convection cooling.

As you correctly point out, yellow, or even white calipers will also cool via convection. My point is, that they won't cool as well as they would if they were flat black instead. How much the difference matters on a mainly-road-driven 911 is, admittedly, questionable. Porsche (or anyone else) wouldn't sell red or yellow calipers if they weren't completely safe for road use, but when I read discussions here and on RennTech about people routinely and often replacing their brake fluid with this or that specific brand/type to achieve the highest possible boiling point for track use, I have to wonder why they don't re-coat their calipers in a thin coat of flat black paint (powder coating has low emissivity because it's so thick that it just acts as heat insulation, even in flat black) in addition to using those exotic fluids. They're bound to see some improvement, if only a little.

One everyday example that we cheaply/practically use to purposely achieve heat retention through low emissivity would be the chrome plating on your toaster, which is done more for heat retention than for cosmetic reasons...and the colorful, non-chrome toasters that you see are the equivalent of non-black brake calipers: cosmetic form over physical function.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

I got PCCB (on my GT3s) because of two reasons:

1) significant reduction in unsprung weight (4x PCCB rotors vs steel)

2) better thermal performance characteristics
Old 12-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
Since "darker colors will radiate (and absorb radiant) heat faster than lighter colors", and since black is the darkest color, and since flat black has more surface area to emit heat than gloss black has...then flat black will emit more heat than any other color, whether there's air blowing on it or not. This property holds true whether in an atmosphere or in a complete vacuum. Just ask NASA. They regularly utilize the effect (black vs white) to evenly cool spacecraft. What this means is that, while you can achieve a cooling effect with no airflow (in a vacuum), based solely on the emissivity of the surface, you cannot achieve any convection cooling whatsoever if your surface has no emissivity. Introducing air flow does increase heat removal, as you say, through convection, but convection cannot exist if the surface has no emissivity, as there will be no heat "escaping" to be removed by the airflow. Therefore, optimum brake cooling requires optimum emissivity and airflow. Yes, more air flow will improve the convection cooling of any color, but it will improve the cooling of flat black more than it will improve the cooling of, say, gloss white, precisely because flat black's emissivity is superior. A given amount of air flow will remove more heat from a high-emissivity surface (flat black) than from a lower-emissivity surface (gloss white). So, brake cooling, for rotors and calipers, is a function of both convection and emission. You cannot have convection cooling of these components without heat emission...if the heat remains locked within the components (no emission), no amount of air flow will provide any convection cooling. As you correctly point out, yellow, or even white calipers will also cool via convection. My point is, that they won't cool as well as they would if they were flat black instead. How much the difference matters on a mainly-road-driven 911 is, admittedly, questionable. Porsche (or anyone else) wouldn't sell red or yellow calipers if they weren't completely safe for road use, but when I read discussions here and on RennTech about people routinely and often replacing their brake fluid with this or that specific brand/type to achieve the highest possible boiling point for track use, I have to wonder why they don't re-coat their calipers in a thin coat of flat black paint (powder coating has low emissivity because it's so thick that it just acts as heat insulation, even in flat black) in addition to using those exotic fluids. They're bound to see some improvement, if only a little. One everyday example that we cheaply/practically use to purposely achieve heat retention through low emissivity would be the chrome plating on your toaster, which is done more for heat retention than for cosmetic reasons...and the colorful, non-chrome toasters that you see are the equivalent of non-black brake calipers: cosmetic form over physical function.
Wrong on so many levels.... My life is vacuum and whilst it's true that in high and ultra high vacuum (molecular flow) the radiated heat through emissivity is the only cooling media (assuming no embedded cooling) ... It is NOT true for higher pressures and the emissivity pales into insignificance against convection cooling (even in rough and medium vacuum above molecular flow)...
Let's take another example... household radiators.... Yes they would be marginally more efficient if they were matt black... But so marginal that the vast majority are still sold and retained as gloss white... Go figure!
Old 12-02-2014, 04:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I got PCCB (on my GT3s) because of two reasons:

1) I love the color yellow

2) Please see #1

FIFY, Larry.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:57 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by david
While not necessarily relevant to the 991, some data points in the November 2014 Panorama Magazine:

https://www.pca.org/panorama/edition...-november-2014
David, thanks again for pointing the board to this short piece in Pano. Sure enough, when I returned from my travels late last night, the issue was in my huge pile of mail. I read the article before unpacking. I must say, it did not make me feel better about switching my order to PCCBs.

Originally Posted by chuck911
They make a lot of sense on a road car. PCCB's are perfectly suited to the guy who will be doing almost all street driving, will not be pushing the car all that hard or all that often on the track, can change pads on schedule, and enjoys all the other benefits of PCCB. Autocross? Doesn't matter. Autox doesn't heat things up enough to matter either way. Cross em all you want. For this guy PCCB's will be the bomb, and this group covers a LOT of people, which is why so many who have them are happy.

PCCB's also make a lot of sense for the guy who has to win, has spent so much money on everything else it now makes sense to throw money at PCCB too- and still has money left to throw at PCCB's! In other words multi-millionaires and well-funded racing teams. Which is why so many hard core track guys complain (they can't afford to play with the big boys) and why so many professional teams run them.

I've been reading PCCB news and comments for years. When you hear someone complaining, almost always they are in the no-mans land between these two groups. If you're in there too, don't get them. Otherwise, odds are you'll love 'em.
Thanks, Chuck. I think your analysis is fair. I've really been torn on this issue. My heart says PCCBs. My head says (already quite excellent) standard brakes. I wish there were some hard data available for the generation 3 PCCBs versus cast-irons. All of the data are soft and subjective -- "PCCBs are the cat's meow" v. "You are a marketing guppy if you buy these." Helpful but not like performance test data would be.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:02 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy

If I get them, it will actually be despite the color. I realize that I'm likely in a small minority, but while the yellow calipers are cool looking, I actually prefer the consistency of the red calipers with the rear brake lights and lower reflectors. But yes, I've said the same before on RL myself -- it seems senseless to make this choice based solely or primarily on caliper color.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get the ceramics brakes do you get the center-lock wheels automatically? Most owners I have talked to don't like the center-locks

Quick Reply: Are Ceramic brakes worth it?