Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people say that the 911 is a better DD than the Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014 | 11:56 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jem7v
Be good at your job and you don't have to worry about things like that.
If only it were that simple. I have good job security compared to most, but never take it for granted. Part of growing up poor I guess. I've just always been hesitant to spend tomorrow's money today on anything. Worked full time through school paying cash as I went, got a great but far cheaper than I qualed for house, and in general delayed gratification until anything I get I could easily pay cash for and not miss the money. If that's not the case, I don't get it.

Again though, that's my micro policy. For the macro it's all about freedom. I've seen some of my piers get extremely over leveraged and live month to month. Like you mentioned, much of that can be attributed to worshipping at the college altar for their kids. It doesn't take many 6 figure degrees in feelings with zero ROI just to extend childhood by 4 years to wreck a household budget.
Old 11-12-2014 | 12:02 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

911's with PDK are assets though, because every time you see a MT guy you can race him for pinks and easily win. So a 911PDK essentially doubles in value every few months. That's not even counting the Corvettes; I just donate those to be crushed for charity.
Old 11-12-2014 | 01:03 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by StudGarden
911's with PDK are assets though, because every time you see a MT guy you can race him for pinks and easily win. So a 911PDK essentially doubles in value every few months. That's not even counting the Corvettes; I just donate those to be crushed for charity.
Old 11-12-2014 | 02:28 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

If only it were that simple. I have good job security compared to most, but never take it for granted. Part of growing up poor I guess. I've just always been hesitant to spend tomorrow's money today on anything. Worked full time through school paying cash as I went, got a great but far cheaper than I qualed for house, and in general delayed gratification until anything I get I could easily pay cash for and not miss the money. If that's not the case, I don't get it.

Again though, that's my micro policy. For the macro it's all about freedom. I've seen some of my piers get extremely over leveraged and live month to month. Like you mentioned, much of that can be attributed to worshipping at the college altar for their kids. It doesn't take many 6 figure degrees in feelings with zero ROI just to extend childhood by 4 years to wreck a household budget.
Well it just depends on people's preference. Some people like to live more cautiously than others which is fine. My uncle falls into this category. He has 2 kids who are about 4 and 6, and he really wants a GT2 RS. But he won't buy it (even though he could pay cash) because he says well what about the kids college. Combined him and his wife make about a million a year. So he leased a new 4s instead.

Contrast that with my own father who didn't save up for mine, or my sister's college or grad school before we went. He just paid it as we went, and that worked out just fine. It's really about diminishing returns. Yes, paying cash is always always better, but if you have a lot of monthly net cash flow does it really make sense to worry about the slim probabilities? Yes they are always possible, their probability is non zero, but they are unlikely. Again if I live my life this way then I have to worry about tomorrow being hit by a car or lightning.

Now don't take that out of context, there is a limit to how much you should push it. Don't go buy a million dollar house, and a ferrari with a 200k salary and live paycheck to paycheck.

But again, in this case I would say it mostly goes back to just peace of mind, if that person is overly risk adverse. I have a lot of friends with this mentality, and I don't understand it. Honestly you live once, then your dead, so the longer you can enjoy it, IMO the better. So if you can afford the porsche at 25-30, why wait till your 60? Just get it. If you need to sell it because **** happens so what? You at least got to enjoy it for however long you did, which 99% of this country won't even get that far.

In the larger realm of things, these are all 1st world problems.
Old 11-12-2014 | 04:15 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

This has turned into one of the most bizarre threads ever. OP asks a simple question, which makes a better daily driver, 911 or Cayman?
Then it devolves into a finger pointing, dick measuring, holier than thou, lecture on economics. Sheesh. I'm pretty sure Rennlist already has an offtopic area for financial discussions, can't we just talk about cars here guys?
Old 11-12-2014 | 04:23 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jem7v
But of course the solution to this is to simply be your own boss .
Your "boss" is whoever provides your paycheck. Everybody who isn't retired or independently wealthy has at least one boss. Those of us who work for ourselves have many bosses, except we usually refer to them as "customers."
Old 11-12-2014 | 05:57 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mtbscott
This has turned into one of the most bizarre threads ever. OP asks a simple question, which makes a better daily driver, 911 or Cayman? Then it devolves into a finger pointing, dick measuring, holier than thou, lecture on economics. Sheesh. I'm pretty sure Rennlist already has an offtopic area for financial discussions, can't we just talk about cars here guys?
Yet it's still as relevant as trying to answer a completely subjective question in the first place. My answer: both, but the 991 is slightly better as a DD.
Old 11-12-2014 | 09:00 PM
CommonProject
Advanced

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Most people out there don't even understand the basics of economics.
For example if I asked 100 people if they consider their house that they live in to be an "asset", I believe over 85% or more would say "YES."
However, that is wrong. Your house is not an asset.
I bet many on this forum would get this answer wrong.
An asset is anything that generates positive cash flow, and your personal residence has a negative cash flow when you take into account...mortgage payments, property taxes, insurance, maintenance etc.
Maybe not a cash flow generating asset, but everything that has monetary value is still considered an asset, it's basic accounting
Old 11-13-2014 | 12:41 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by CommonProject
Maybe not a cash flow generating asset, but everything that has monetary value is still considered an asset, it's basic accounting
+1

Every asset has potential of losing value (and a lot do!!)

Even the cash under your mattress technically loses value with inflation correct?
Old 11-13-2014 | 01:34 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STG991
+1 Every asset has potential of losing value (and a lot do!!) Even the cash under your mattress technically loses value with inflation correct?
Big time. By design too.

Quick Reply: Why do people say that the 911 is a better DD than the Cayman?