Sponsored by:

991 GTS Build - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts
Default 991 GTS Build - Advice?

Looking to order a GTS. Here is my build. Living in Stuttgart for another two years before re-locating back to Florida. Am I missing anything critical?

Also, the wife digs the ducktail...the configurator says it reduces the approach angle significantly. Anyone know how much?

I'm not a smoker but the smoking package look like it adds an additional 12v outlet for a total of three--one in the passenger footwell, one in the center armrest, and one in the center console under the sliding door. Is that right?

I like the Alcantara seats but not sure if it will get too hot in Florida. Selecting the leather seats allows you to add the seat ventilation. Anyone have Alcantara in a warm climate and can let me known if it is too hot?

Still debating 2WD or 4WD...snow for two years and then back to Florida for retirement...

Burmester Audio Package
Anthracite Brown Metallic
Leather interior in black with Alcantara
Rear Wiper
Electric slide/tilt sunroof in glass
Sport Design Package
Fuel Cap w/Aluminum Look
Manual Transmission
Power Steering Plus
20" 911 Turbo S Wheels
Auto Dim Mirrors
Seat heating front
luggage net in passenger footwell
smoking package
sport Seats Plus 4 Way
Euro Delivery
Euro Navigation on PCM

Thanks all!
Old 11-01-2014, 07:11 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Unless the ducktail option also has something to lower the car I don't see how it affects approach angles.
Power steering plus is really not needed as the regular power steering is not overly stiff at parking speeds.
The Alcantara looks great but I would get leather and seat ventilation. Air conditioned air drawn through the seats is a really good thing on long trips and in hot weather. Good move w the smoking package.
The one addition I suggest is PLDS (Porsche Dynamic Lighting System) if it is not standard on the GTS. It really works well on winding roads.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:13 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll comment about the alcantara seats. I live and work in the deserts of inland Southern California. Cooled leather seats are great, once you've been in them for a while and they cool down. Until then, you can burn flesh on a leather seat! Alcantara, by contrast, never gets that hot to the touch. The leather edge of the seat will be hot - VERY hot - and the alcantara is merely warm. There are days when I can't even touch a leather steering wheel at first when I get in the car. Again, alcantara is merely warm. I think it's terrific if you live in a hot climate. Paradoxically, the same is true at the other extreme. It never feels either as hot or as cold as leather. (I've had alcantara for the last year in my Panamera, which is my ski car. Lots of cold weather in it!)

DMoore
'13 991S (soon to be a '15 991GTS with full alcantara)
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 11-02-2014, 02:03 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

PDLS is standard...PDLS with LED is an option.

Thanks for the comments on the seats.

Can anyone confirm that the ducktail means no moveable spoiler...I'm not a fan of the post 89 911 movable rear spoilers. I love the look of the ducktail and I'm assuming it's fixed and nothing else moves in back.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:54 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Unless the ducktail option also has something to lower the car I don't see how it affects approach angles.
To get the ducktail from the factory, you have to order the SportDesign package (as the OP did) on a GTS. The SportDesign package indeed has the following statement on the information popup about it in the configurator "significant reduction in approach angle on gradients", this is of course about the bumper/lip from the SD package. I do wonder what the actual difference is with the standard GTS front bumper/lip.
No experience with everyday use here, but I assume there is a reason the front axle lifter is only optionable on a 991 GT3.

Two nice free options that the OP did not select (yet? ):
90L fuel tank (GTS and GT3 options only) and the passenger footwell luggage net.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:05 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Can anyone confirm that the ducktail means no moveable spoiler...I'm not a fan of the post 89 911 movable rear spoilers. I love the look of the ducktail and I'm assuming it's fixed and nothing else moves in back.

If you add the ducktail (SD package) that means fixed decklid spoiler indeed.

I do wonder if the graphic on the GTS SD package is correct, because it seems to 'revert' back to the original 991 coloured rear deck (as opposed to the blacked out GTS style)
Old 11-02-2014, 03:12 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Still debating 2WD or 4WD...snow for two years and then back to Florida for retirement...

Burmester Audio Package
Anthracite Brown Metallic
Leather interior in black with Alcantara
Rear Wiper
Electric slide/tilt sunroof in glass
Sport Design Package
Fuel Cap w/Aluminum Look
Manual Transmission
Power Steering Plus
20" 911 Turbo S Wheels
Auto Dim Mirrors
Seat heating front
luggage net in passenger footwell
smoking package
sport Seats Plus 4 Way
Euro Delivery
Euro Navigation on PCM

Thanks all!
Cool configuration already btw.
Keep in mind that the aluminium look fuel cap is indeed aluminium LOOK plastic.
I'd try and testdrive 2WD/4WD. Some folks can make out a difference, some not. My guess is that 2WD will suffice, and you'll already get the wide body with the GTS that's normally reserved for the four wheel drive carrera anyway.
Also power steering+ is something that's recommendable to try before ordering.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:59 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

The 90L fuel tank option is not available in US Spec cars...that would be nice.

Copy on the Aluminum look being plastic...goodbye aluminum look.

I think we've settled on 2WD.

When you select Sport Design, there is no change in the Porsche Configurator (3D Mode) depiction of the front spoiler. Will just have to be careful.

I do like the blacked out grill but I'm sold on the ducktail...for me, the only nice moveable spoilers are on the Carrera GT and our '08 Cayman. Not a fan of the 996/997/991 and boxster spoilers. Have a the Carrera trial on the '88 911 and I love it!
Old 11-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

The GTS comes with the SD front spoiler as 'standard', ticking the SD aero option *only* adds the ducktail and changes the engine cover from the GTS black slats to the std Carerra louvres
Old 11-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

PDLS is standard...PDLS with LED is an option.

Thanks for the comments on the seats.

correct its static
Old 11-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Thanks Larry...I was over at the Porsche Museum this afternoon and walked across the street to the dealership. Low and behold there was a brand new GTS in their parking lot produced on 28 October. Was great to see the center lock wheels in black, the spoiler, and the alcantara interior. I love the GTS black slats and will be sad to not get them, but the ducktail is awesome!
Old 11-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Thanks Larry...I was over at the Porsche Museum this afternoon and walked across the street to the dealership. Low and behold there was a brand new GTS in their parking lot produced on 28 October. Was great to see the center lock wheels in black, the spoiler, and the alcantara interior. I love the GTS black slats and will be sad to not get them, but the ducktail is awesome!
did you take any pictures?
Old 11-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

No...it was still mostly shrink wrapped and all but one of the wheels was covered.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

must be one of the very 1st cars off of the production line.

jealous that you live just around the corner from Zuffenhausen!
Old 11-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

wont you have to pay VAT etc?

Quick Reply: 991 GTS Build - Advice?