Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people say that the 911 is a better DD than the Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 11:34 PM
CommonProject
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Apartment? Do you have a garage? If not, don't by either. I would never park my Porsches in an apartment complex with common open parking.

Is your 401K/Roth 401K maxed out to $17,500? If not, don't buy any Porsches until then.

Are you also saving an additional $5,500 in a self directed after tax IRA Account? If not, don't buy either.

Pay yourself first. Get out of debt. Buy a house. Then go buy toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Thanks again for the recommendations, guess I will just have to find time to test drive the two. It's somewhat accurate that I kind of made up my mind already, but still keep hearing the 911 is king and read a lot of threads here, so just wanted to get some perspective.

Really appreciate your financial advice as well, I definitely agree with you. My 401k/IRA are both maxed, and my income is too high to contribute to a Roth IRA. I'm blessed to be making enough money to be considering these cars in my early 20's, and in my opinion the utility I get from owning a Porsche at my age is much higher than owning one at age 40, so I think it's a worthy investment (in fun, that is).
Old 11-05-2014, 12:06 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

If finances are not the most important factor, IMHO all you need to do is go sit in them. Because we are specifically talking about a daily driver, the 911 wins. Totally true, though, that both cars are awesome and anyone would be lucky to have either.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:16 AM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by CommonProject
Thanks again for the recommendations, guess I will just have to find time to test drive the two. It's somewhat accurate that I kind of made up my mind already, but still keep hearing the 911 is king and read a lot of threads here, so just wanted to get some perspective.

Really appreciate your financial advice as well, I definitely agree with you. My 401k/IRA are both maxed, and my income is too high to contribute to a Roth IRA. I'm blessed to be making enough money to be considering these cars in my early 20's, and in my opinion the utility I get from owning a Porsche at my age is much higher than owning one at age 40, so I think it's a worthy investment (in fun, that is).
I believe he's talking about a back door roth at 5500 which you could still do after the 17,500 in 401k. Anyways, I'll just add my 2 cents as I was in your shoes a year ago and went with the 911 instead. For me, the the DD aspect boils down to the rear seats. I have a family so being able to transport more than 1 little one at a time was worth the extra funds.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:30 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

So the RL consensus is to open a self-directed IRA invested in a 991S? Can we get a ruling on expensing ED as management fees?
Old 11-05-2014, 02:32 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Great post. I have 2 of the 3. I just recently sold my house and renting a place until the real estate market drops and I can go buy again. Until then my money is in stocks since the first two are maxed. Question do you recommend leasing or buying a 911 cash?
Old 11-05-2014, 02:39 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

IRAs? 401ks? Debt? Buy a house?

Phhht.

Live for today. Not for tomorrow.

If you want to reward yourself. Buy something now. When you can enjoy it.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:40 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silvertige
I believe he's talking about a back door roth at 5500 which you could still do after the 17,500 in 401k. Anyways, I'll just add my 2 cents as I was in your shoes a year ago and went with the 911 instead. For me, the the DD aspect boils down to the rear seats. I have a family so being able to transport more than 1 little one at a time was worth the extra funds.

I agree. After attending the Porsche world roadshow I had the opportunity to test drive both models on a race track. Both have great performance and handling but it came down to the backseat. At the end of the day with a DD with a backseat is useful as long as the backseat passenger is 5'4 or shorter.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:43 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
Kills 'em stone dead I tell ya.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:44 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
IRAs? 401ks? Debt? Buy a house?

Phhht.

Live for today. Not for tomorrow.

If you want to reward yourself. Buy something now. When you can enjoy it.
I will correct your quote. Replace the word something and Insert "a 911"
Old 11-05-2014, 03:00 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If it's all equal to you in terms of heritage/model status, next to driving both and making a rational decision about these two excellent Porsche models, aesthetics play a big part in making the choice to me.

The 991 is one of the best, if not the best looking liquid cooled 911. The Cayman, also the current generation, has some quirky proportions to it. But that's just in the eye of this beholder, perhaps the Cayman is the better looking car to you.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:11 AM
PDX991
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CommonProject

I come from a 987.1s to the 991 because of the need for the car to be a DD.

My requirements were 1. back seat for 2 kids, 2. quieter for talking on the phone, 3. less claustrophobic (I like to lay my seat back and take a nap and that's hard in the mid-engined)

That said, my 987 and any 981 is easily 100% of the fun of any 911, sometimes more so. The 991 is more refined, quieter, and an easier DD than a 987, a 997, and a 981. If you don't want the quieter car, (and since we're dispensing financial advice on this site) I suggest a 981 or a 997 and you put the rest of your money into real estate or life insurance where it can grow tax-free( with the penalty of paying for life insurance but your insurability in your 20's is cheap). The driving experience of a Porsche sports car (not a Cayenne or Panamera or egads a Macan) is unparalleled and fun regardless of the model.

We are all speed and power addicts and will tell you to buy the fastest, best optioned 991 GTS or GT3, but they are no more fun and just give you the bragging rights of being fast. Get whatever car gets your juices flowing irrespective of whether people consider it the fastest and best car for the 'Ring.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:29 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kaution321
Great post. I have 2 of the 3. I just recently sold my house and renting a place until the real estate market drops and I can go buy again. Until then my money is in stocks since the first two are maxed. Question do you recommend leasing or buying a 911 cash?
The real estate market isn't going to drop again. If it does the world economy will end. Don't hold your breathe for it happening any time soon.

And what is this recommendation to have life insurance before a 911 lol. I understand 401 and IRA but life insurance?

The only thing I agree with here for this person (since I can relate to them a little, I say a little because I don't know this person) is that don't buy a nice car if your still renting. Go own a condo then go buy the 911. Have a least a few appreciating assets before you sink your money into a depreciating one.

I have driven back to back a 981 boxster S and a 911 4S. I really prefer the 911. Only because it feels roomier inside and it sounds way better. Plus its faster. I honestly couldn't tell the difference in handling between the 2. With the 997 911 you could definitely feel a huge *** weight in the back of the car messing everything up. Not so much with the 991.

I'll be getting the GTS because its the most I'm willing to stretch myself since I want a GT3, and it'll be faster than a regular S or 4S. Enough fun for the time being.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing to consider is the 911 interior is nicer than the cayman/boxster. Assuming you go full leather interior it is a lot less plasticy. Toss in some deviated stitching and it gets really nice looking.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:14 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
The real estate market isn't going to drop again. If it does the world economy will end. Don't hold your breathe for it happening any time soon.
Go own a condo then go buy the 911. Have a least a few appreciating assets before you sink your money into a depreciating one.
sure, real estate won't drop again. Nobody thought it would drop the first time.

unless exceedingly well bought or located in an up and coming neighborhood, condos (or homes in general) are not appreciating in many parts of the country.

I personally do not view real estate as an appreciating asset but rather just a store of value.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:47 AM
CommonProject
Advanced

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
sure, real estate won't drop again. Nobody thought it would drop the first time.

unless exceedingly well bought or located in an up and coming neighborhood, condos (or homes in general) are not appreciating in many parts of the country.

I personally do not view real estate as an appreciating asset but rather just a store of value.
out of all the sectors, real estate is still one of the safest ways to make a return in today's world. Even if value of the asset stays stagnant, renting it out provides a constant stream of cash flows. Take all the piece of junk apartments in LES for example, literally shoe boxes and still always occupied at ridiculous prices.

Quick Reply: Why do people say that the 911 is a better DD than the Cayman?