Sponsored by:

Base or S for a noob?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vox
I've noticed many of you are located or (at least have your car and drive in the Northeast) - what's everyone's opinion on a S cab if you the car were to be used "mostly" for the weekend and parked in the garage during Winter? Again, I'm new to Porsche and never ever owned a sports car.
What about a targa?
Old 11-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Yardman
6th Gear

I am surprised that no one has commented on Drcollie's " rough, noisy ride" comment.

Yes...I like most of you like to rip around in Sport Plus Mode manually shifting the PDK having fun.
But I did drive it once for 11 hours straight (800 miles) and was amazed that in normal suspension settings with the PSE in quiet mode it was a very comfortable car. Yes I said comfortable.

And my vote as most is for the S. I have had both and for me the extra money for the S is well worth it and should be recovered at the time of resale.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:45 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
I would personally go for the S. As one of the posters replied above there are very few people here if any at all that would wish they have bought a base car after buying an S. I am however sure that if you buy the base car you will likely wish you had bought an S.
What type of reasoning is that ? If you buy a non-S you are likely going to want an S ? Not bloody likely, not at all. Come on. Can't you see this sort of reasoning never ends. If you buy an S, you are going to want a GT3 or a Turbo. If you are buying a Porsche, you are going to want a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. If you buy a Ferrari, you are going to want a Pagani. If you buy a Pagani, you will want a rocket car. If you bought a rocket car, you will want the triple H - Hugh Heffner's Harem

Also, there is some need for perspective. Most people here are in the US, and drive in a straight linie at 70mph tops. About a fortnight ago I was with a group of Porsche fans on the AutoBahn to Stuttgart. A diverse group, tuned 996 GT2 with 550hp, a 991 C2, a 996, a 993, a 944 Turbo and a Boxster (non-S). And guess what, in real world driving conditions, real world drivers, even on the Autobahn without speed limit this group stuck together at high speed. The GT2 couldn't get away, even though it briefly topped out at 300 kph before traffic stopped him, it couldn't shake the rest of us. Also, for further perspective, I regularly look at videos of Dag Johnsen tearing up the Ring.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:00 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Yardman
I am surprised that no one has commented on Drcollie's " rough, noisy ride" comment.
OK, I'll comment on it:

I agree. It's a sports car. It's loud, it's uncomfortable. It's not a luxury car.

And my vote as most is for the S. I have had both and for me the extra money for the S is well worth it and should be recovered at the time of resale.
I disagree with the financial point. I too have an S and it was worth it to me, but you're dreaming if you think you'll get it all back at resale time.

To the OP: I'm shocked that you are considering a new 911 as your first sports car. As noted earlier, find a nice, used example and see if this is what you really want. If so, great, you've got a nice car. If not, oh well, you can get out of it without a huge hit to your wallet (or purse). OK, it will be a big hit, but a smaller hit than you would have taken with a new car.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:46 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
What type of reasoning is that ? If you buy a non-S you are likely going to want an S ? Not bloody likely, not at all. Come on. Can't you see this sort of reasoning never ends. If you buy an S, you are going to want a GT3 or a Turbo. If you are buying a Porsche, you are going to want a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. If you buy a Ferrari, you are going to want a Pagani. If you buy a Pagani, you will want a rocket car. If you bought a rocket car, you will want the triple H - Hugh Heffner's Harem

Also, there is some need for perspective. Most people here are in the US, and drive in a straight linie at 70mph tops. About a fortnight ago I was with a group of Porsche fans on the AutoBahn to Stuttgart. A diverse group, tuned 996 GT2 with 550hp, a 991 C2, a 996, a 993, a 944 Turbo and a Boxster (non-S). And guess what, in real world driving conditions, real world drivers, even on the Autobahn without speed limit this group stuck together at high speed. The GT2 couldn't get away, even though it briefly topped out at 300 kph before traffic stopped him, it couldn't shake the rest of us. Also, for further perspective, I regularly look at videos of Dag Johnsen tearing up the Ring.
Good one. Anyway this is all playing by the other teams rules. Its the other guys who try and compete with numbers like horsepower and lap times. Porsches are fast, yes. But where they really shine is the driving experience. Not the driving speed, that is only part of it, but the whole experience. On those terms a zero-optioned 991 delivers the goods just fine.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:59 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Good one. Anyway this is all playing by the other teams rules. Its the other guys who try and compete with numbers like horsepower and lap times. Porsches are fast, yes. But where they really shine is the driving experience. Not the driving speed, that is only part of it, but the whole experience. On those terms a zero-optioned 991 delivers the goods just fine.
Exactly. As I see it, you drive other cars, with your Porsche you have a symbiotic relationship.
Old 03-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Vox
Intermediate

It's been a number of weeks and I've not had the opportunity to follow-up, but thank you all for helping me pick a car.

At the end, I went with the 2015 C2S and love it (sports plus rocks!)

By the way, Carrara White is really white and awesome

Old 03-07-2015, 02:11 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 425 Posts

Congrats. Looks great.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:41 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Sweet Car! Congrats! Rear lights look fresh on a white car!
Old 03-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vox
It's been a number of weeks and I've not had the opportunity to follow-up, but thank you all for helping me pick a car. At the end, I went with the 2015 C2S and love it (sports plus rocks!) By the way, Carrara White is really white and awesome
Looks great! Congrats !
Old 03-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 328 Likes on 202 Posts

Nice car, congrats! Now go get that XM radio activated... I just did mine today, only took 30mins waiting on hold.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Vox;11764865]
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
dont waste your money on PDCC IMO... Sport Chrono + PSE + PASM...

Super helpful and thank you for troadhe opinion.

In fact, I was thinking about getting a used (2012 or 2013 with 5-10k miles) as this would be my first Porsche, but the price difference on a USED vs NEW didn't make much of a difference.

On top of that, many of the base 911's are almost bare bone vs on a S (most of them were well equipped), but the sell price on a CPO is out of whack thus for shopping for a new car.

Coming from a CLS and X6 - harsh driving condition for the Northeast is a concern (even if the car was for the weekend only) and thus for trying to figure out if I'll be better off with a 19" and ignore PASM.

On the CLS - I had gone through 5 or so tires within the last 10 months (bubbles and getting a flat) only from going over a small pothole and plenty of times where the rims were damaged.

Interestingly enough, the x6 have been bullet proof whereas x5m and Q7 had the same problem on a 20 or 21" with low profile tires.

Does anyone have any direct comment/feedback on a Carrera with 20" and PASM with the disgusting road in the Northeast?
One thing I can tell you is the Base with 19" wheels is quieter than with the 20" wheels road-noise - wise.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:41 AM
kaution321
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vox
It's been a number of weeks and I've not had the opportunity to follow-up, but thank you all for helping me pick a car. At the end, I went with the 2015 C2S and love it (sports plus rocks!) By the way, Carrara White is really white and awesome
Enjoy the car! I'm picking one up next month in black.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:53 AM
SMZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Base or S for a noob?