Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base or S for a noob?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:07 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are never going to track your car. the base Carrera will provide 99& of the driving enjoyment of the Carrera S. The extra 50 HP, bigger brakes and standard PASM would be readily noticeable and useable at the track, not so much in a fun road car. Other than the painted calipers, they look and sound the same. Even though I own a S, I don't think I would be unhappy in the base. Then again, there are those that argue the S is a 'no-brainer, must have'. I you think that, fine, buy I don't think so. As for resale, hogwah. I would love to see any evidence that an S depreciates more slowly than the base.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:36 AM
UAE_911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Vox, My first Porsche ever was delivered to me a few weeks ago. When I ordered the car, I initially configured a non-s car and the sales guy at the dealership assured me it would have all the power I needed. He was probably right; I also will not track my car and previously I have always owned luxury / "comfortable" cars. But then I test drove the S back-to-back to the non-S, and just that bit more torque at lower revs in the S, made me switch to the S version. I'm super happy with my choice and glad I upgrade to the S version. Nevertheless, as other already mentioned, you can't really go wrong with either one (which is also why I avoid calling the non-S a "base" Carrera as "base" IMO does not do the car justice.

Some noted above that Porsche will try to "talk you into spending more on options". My experience has been the opposite, and I actually ended up spending less following the very honest and good advise of Porsche.

The specs of my C2S are:
-PDK
-GT Silver
-Leather interior in black
-Sport Chrono
-Sport steering wheel (IMO a must)
-Sport exhaust (IMO also a must)
-4 way seats (love them, happy I didn't spend money on the 18-way seats)
-PDLS (very nice feature)
-Smokers pack, floor mats, luggage net
-Bose (again, very happy I "downgraded" from Burmester which I initially thought I needed)
-Keyless entry
-Heated seats
-Elec folding / dimming mirrors
Old 10-31-2014, 10:16 AM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Ah another Base v. S debate....try the search button.

Get a turbo.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:57 AM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ggreg911
Ah another Base v. S debate....try the search button.

Get a turbo.
Sorry.

Due to everyone using a different naming convention on the car - the search wasn't necessarily helpful (also, what was found were references to 997 rather than 991).
Old 10-31-2014, 12:08 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by THPorsche
you better stop reading, otherwise, your must have list would go longer and longer
Yes indeed.

Due to bunch or enablers, I've started spec'ing out a Turbo and the boss at home said - hey, it's like that with a house and everything else in life.

Spend a bit more for the next trim/upgrade and it's endless.

- base $110
- S $130
- Turbo $160

Anyways, I'm going with the S (try it out for a year) and maybe it is good enough (more than I can ask for) or perhaps, there's a Turbo in the future
Old 10-31-2014, 12:14 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
If you plan to add many of the options included in the Carrera S package it often makes sense to spend a little more and get the Carrera S.
Thank you! One day at the forum gave me everything that I needed :big gulp:

By the way
Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
PASM Sport does not add any further console switches, but it does make the spoiler rise further up in back and provides a "more aggressive" front spoiler . . . pretty much acknowledging the potential for scraping with the lowered stance.
that was an awesome tip
Old 10-31-2014, 12:22 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ahughes3214
To answer one of your questions directly, I live in upstate NY near the finger-lakes and frequent the Rochester/Buffalo areas. I have a C4S with SPASM, PDCC, and 20 inch wheels. No issues or damage to wheels after 4000 miles this summer on some not so great roads. Just an occasional scrape on the front air dam; no big deal. I set the tire pressures to the comfort setting and that made a difference in the ride. I have traveled up to six hours straight in the car and it was fine for me, my wife, and 7 year old daughter in the back. No complaints about comfort or ride. If on grooved or damaged concrete (I90 near Rochester/Canandaigua), sometimes the wheel noise is a little loud.

Regarding some other questions you or others mentioned...
I would recommend you take the time, check the options first hand if possible, and order exactly what you want. I bought my first 911 (997 GTS) from the lot and compromised a little. That turned out to be a bad idea (for me). IMO the money saved at this price point by taking inventory on hand is not worth it. I then turned around and got exactly what I wanted and dumped what I found I was unhappy with.

For what its worth, below is just some feedback from my experience:

1) I got rid of the manual trans., I always had manuals and thought it was a natural fit for the 911. But after making the mistake of test driving a 991 PDK, I discovered it was time to change. The PDK with SD wheel and paddles in the 991 is excellent. All the fun of shifting yourself, without a left pedal. Plus-Plus for me. It also allowed me to get the Adaptive Cruise Control which I highly recommend.

2) I got rid of the multi-function wheel. I found the stalk in the 991 to be very useable and the volume control is right next to the shift lever. That change allowed me to get the SD wheel with paddles.

3) I had a partial leather interior in my GTS; thought I would be fine with it and was not. The leather interior with deviated stitching is fantastic and a must in this price range (again IMO).

4) I test drove a TTS on two separate occasions. The acceleration will amaze you. It is a fantastic but very different car from the non turbo. You should try it if budget allows, I would not consider a “trade-up”, get what you want from the start, as the depreciation hit is not worth it. I speak from experience.

5) Seats – make sure you and especially your significant other test the fit.

6) Some will tell you sport-chrono is not that great or useless. Test it; I drive in Sport Plus mode all the time and manually shift. It is splendid. When traveling long distances or I want to take it easy, I put it in normal mode and it drives like any other car.

7) I like the PSE and would get it again. It is good however that you can turn it off; especially on those long trips.

8) The only questionable item in all my selections is the Bose system. It is fine, but does not knock me out. If I were to do it again, I would probably retest and consider the Burmeister option.
Thank you for the detailed feedback with the road experience!

Perhaps, I need to move ;-) the roads in NYC and NJ sucks so bad (Winter/Spring and even early part of the Summer), I just don't want to deal with the car getting stranded and be towed middle of the night.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:27 PM
Vox
Intermediate

I've noticed many of you are located or (at least have your car and drive in the Northeast) - what's everyone's opinion on a S cab if you the car were to be used "mostly" for the weekend and parked in the garage during Winter?

Again, I'm new to Porsche and never ever owned a sports car.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:06 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
That one is priced low because it was in an accident.
Body and structural damage.

I only saw it for a second and didn't notice the previous damage. Stear clear. I guess if it's too good to be true....
Old 10-31-2014, 03:28 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Originally Posted by Vox
Sorry. Due to everyone using a different naming convention on the car - the search wasn't necessarily helpful (also, what was found were references to 997 rather than 991).
Three most debated:

1. base v s
2. Cab v. Coupe
3. Manual v. PDK

If this is your first sports car, I'd buy a cayman. See if you even enjoy driving this type of car. Most here have owned many sports cars before committing over a 100k on a car.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:52 PM
P-Car777
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Three most debated:

1. base v s
2. Cab v. Coupe
3. Manual v. PDK

If this is your first sports car, I'd buy a cayman. See if you even enjoy driving this type of car. Most here have owned many sports cars before committing over a 100k on a car.
Great advice^^^^^

Cayman = gateway drug
Old 10-31-2014, 03:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

I'd go straight to a use 911 ... even a 997 ...
Old 10-31-2014, 04:52 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'd go straight to a use 911 ... even a 997 ...
Another good option.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:02 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Vox
Again, I'm new to Porsche and never ever owned a sports car.
How many have you driven?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:03 PM
Vox
Intermediate

Three most debated:

1. base v s
2. Cab v. Coupe
3. Manual v. PDK

1. Resolved and my mind is set for the S.
2. Most likely Coupe, but toying around the Cab.
3. PDK.

I know most would bash me for saying it, but why go for a fake Porsche? when you can get the real deal ;-) That being said, I understand the Cayman S is a mid-engine technical marvel (and the GTS being awesome) - perhaps it handles better than a 991, but it lacks the pedigree. The Carrera is a legend/icon!

Now... please don't kill me for my silly opinion.

Quick Reply: Base or S for a noob?