Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gramps

Who cares when u drive it 50 or under as in Scottsdale
Old 12-30-2014, 04:17 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Everyone is reprinting the same rumored report.

Reporting on a rumor is not news. I wish automotive journalists would stop it.
These are not journalists. These are "bloggers" and forum participants. And they all repeat the same thing that can all be traced back to one singular source. That's not valid. No respectable journalist would report it with a single, unverified second-hand source.

Everyone seems to think it's true just because everyone on Rennlist says that it's going to happen. It's not true until it is announced by Porsche. And that hasn't happened yet.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:26 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

It's not a matter of if, it's when!

It's going to happen.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:25 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by STG991
It's not a matter of if, it's when!

It's going to happen.
Agreed,....just look at BMW, Audi, MB and Porsche in all of its models outside of the sports cars.

The way I see it happening for the 911.....

First, Porsche never likes to usurp the previous generation leader for at least a couple of years, so when the new 991.2 comes out HP should be raised a bit, to say 415~420 but still behind the 991.1 GTS (430) for a couple of years. If and when the 991.2 GTS comes out it may go to ~450, only time will tell.

Second I see the engines being much smaller with twin turbos,....say around the 2.5 ~ 2.9L range. As above, HP will be raised a bit and so might be torque, but not by massive amounts. Since the engines may be a decent amount smaller the turbos will have to make up the torque deficit left behind by displacement.

I simply don't see Porsche tacking on turbos to a 3.4 or 3.8L at this time,...it would bring these engines too close to a GT3/Turbo and not save anything in fuel consumption,...quite the opposite I believe. Not exactly the goal.

I see Boxsters and Caymans running around with turbo 4's and maybe a very small turbo 6 (2.5L) for the S versions.

I don't believe a turbo 4 in the 911 would sell if it was offered even if it was a good engine,....people would want more pistons for 911 money.

My .02 and may not even be worth that.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Posted somewhere before I believe.

A 6Speeder posted again. A glimpse into the near future. Bye bye NA, hello turbo. 991.2?

Old 01-10-2015, 04:12 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ruhlich
Karl: When I was in engineering school, my biggest fear was piston engines would not exist by the time I graduated. The rotary was making big news then. When I graduated in 1970, my first job paid $12,000/yr. My new 911E cost a bit over $7,000. So, all things being near equal, you should look forward to starting near $150k when you graduate. A new 911........no problem.
And now when I graduate, boring sounding turbocharged 911s will be the only new 911s around, and that's wonderful, how?

$150k for a regular Carrera??

Especially since all of you have your 991s, I don't expect any of you to really understand how disappointing this is for someone like me. I mean how can you really understand when you've already got what I can only dream of ever having right now? And no amount of hard work or working as fast as possible will ever amount to a new N/A 911 because there won't be any more new N/A 911s.

I mean, let's look at this; here are the majority of you asking and pondering if you should upgrade from your C2S or C4S to a GTS, and I'm here hardly sleeping trying to finish college as fast as feasibly possible, wondering if there will still be a 911 worth anything in the future, or if I'll even be able to ever afford one the way I want one in the future.

All I'd ever want is a freaking Carrera and nothing else, power and having the most powerful car is of no concern to me whatsoever. I care about sound, throttle response, and those contribute to overall enjoyment of the driving experience for me, which I'm now going to kiss goodbye because my dreams are now crushed.

The future just keeps getting worse and worse in my opinion. I'm going to try and restrain myself and my judgement until they're actually revealed, but I'm not too hopeful.

Last edited by Karl_W944; 01-10-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:33 AM
WCE
User

Received 177 Likes on 86 Posts

Gee this radiator rising out of the rear deck is going to look great
I guess they can't copy the turbo's intercooler solution for the new... turbos - can't say I envy the Porsche 911 Engineers dealing with this packaging nightmare!
Old 01-10-2015, 10:15 AM
wwspeeds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche9xx
No matter what the changes for '15.5 or '16 I just cant see Porsche blasting the new TT or TTS owner by raising the S HP power anywhere near 500hp. I can't even see them raising the S power higher than the GTS hp. Every move they have made in the last 50 years has been calculated and based on "marketing science" when it comes to increasing power on the new cars. The best example of this was when they first introduced the Cayman they gave it a slight bump to justify the premium over the convertible version. Its funny now to remember that at a research event I attended for what turned out to be the Cayman they had us selecting price categories for their new unreleased model and one of the comparison models at the event was a Nissan Z. I was pushing for a lower msrp than the Boxster but I guess I lost and Porsche won
Agreed. I bet Porsche will have a very modest power increase to each of their model lines, just like they have done historically with each generation and mid-cycle refresh. Just like the 997.2 gained direct injection over the 997.1 and thusly gained an additional 20 (C2/C4) and 25 hp (C2S/C4S), the 991.2 will get a performance/efficiency engineering update, the displacement will likely decrease (say, to 3.0 L from 3.4 and 3.4 from 3.8) and force induction will bring it up power numbers to say, 365 and 415 bhp. I bet fuel economy will take a 5 mpg bump. In the marketers eye, this is a win-win, as splashing big numbers works. It's a little unfortunate for NA engine lovers, but such is the world. Just look at what happened to BMW. Porsche just had better never play digitized induction noise through the stereo -- that is a 911 I will have difficulty buying.

W
Old 01-10-2015, 10:42 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
And now when I graduate, boring sounding turbocharged 911s will be the only new 911s around, and that's wonderful, how? $150k for a regular Carrera?? Especially since all of you have your 991s, I don't expect any of you to really understand how disappointing this is for someone like me. I mean how can you really understand when you've already got what I can only dream of ever having right now? And no amount of hard work or working as fast as possible will ever amount to a new N/A 911 because there won't be any more new N/A 911s. I mean, let's look at this; here are the majority of you asking and pondering if you should upgrade from your C2S or C4S to a GTS, and I'm here hardly sleeping trying to finish college as fast as feasibly possible, wondering if there will still be a 911 worth anything in the future, or if I'll even be able to ever afford one the way I want one in the future. All I'd ever want is a freaking Carrera and nothing else, power and having the most powerful car is of no concern to me whatsoever. I care about sound, throttle response, and those contribute to overall enjoyment of the driving experience for me, which I'm now going to kiss goodbye because my dreams are now crushed. The future just keeps getting worse and worse in my opinion. I'm going to try and restrain myself and my judgement until they're actually revealed, but I'm not too hopeful.
When do you graduate my friend?

Do they have a 6 month fast track program?

The turbo talk in not going over well on a lot of current owners as well...
Old 01-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

When do you graduate my friend? Do they have a 6 month fast track program? The turbo talk in not going over well on a lot of current owners as well...
I was slated to graduate in 2017, but because i had a few roadblocks happen along the way so far, it's more likely going to be 2018-19.

I wish there was such a thing as a fast track program at LTU.

Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a fan of turbos. In fact, my DD X5 is the last of the NA BMW X5's. I had spec'ed out a different X5 in 2010 but could only get it with a turbo, so I opted for a NA X5 optioned outside of my preference -- it's black! A chore to keep clean, especially in winter.

Happy with my 991.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:21 AM
STG
Race Director

I was slated to graduate in 2017, but because i had a few roadblocks happen along the way so far, it's more likely going to be 2018-19. I wish there was such a thing as a fast track program at LTU. message
You'll still be able to find plenty of nearly new NA 991's around then.

The GT3's will remain NA far past the other 911 future turbo changes.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

All I'd ever want is a freaking Carrera and nothing else, power and having the most powerful car is of no concern to me whatsoever. I care about sound, throttle response, and those contribute to overall enjoyment of the driving experience for me, which I'm now going to kiss goodbye because my dreams are now crushed.

The future just keeps getting worse and worse in my opinion. I'm going to try and restrain myself and my judgement until they're actually revealed, but I'm not too hopeful.
Life is rough man. Some perspective would probably help though, if your future/dreams are destroyed because a car manufacturer is moving to FI across the board you may need to re-evaluate things a bit. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:39 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Life is rough man. Some perspective would probably help though, if your future/dreams are destroyed because a car manufacturer is moving to FI across the board you may need to re-evaluate things a bit. Just my 2 cents.
Well put! I like air cooled engines and 4-barrel carburetors, but not all change is bad. For cars that need more power, forced induction is very effective. I'm not sure that 911s need more power though, so the anticipated loss of throttle response and sound quality might diminish the experience more that a few extra horses help.

But the old ones (as if a 991 can be called old!) won't go away, they'll just become more special to those that prefer the flavor of good booze over the alcohol content.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:44 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vise
As someone who dreamed about 911's in jr. high school and finally got one at 44yrs old I can relate to getting close to the dream car.

I'm sure he's not on suicide watch, but there's nothing wrong with an achiever and goal setter. Something that seems to be non existent in the under 30yr old crowd these days.

Quick Reply: 911 going all turbo?