Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preliminary verdict on the 9A1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 03:17 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Not getting a good look at the electrodes. Must be the beer goggles…
Old 10-22-2014, 03:26 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Would be interesting to see how many miles these cars are getting. My hunch is a few with 12-15k/yr, but only a very few. Long term wear patterns don't really develop much until there's a pretty good number of cars with 60-100k miles on them. Does anybody here have even 50,000 miles yet?
Originally Posted by rufus scout
Just hit 50,000 miles on my '13 991 C4S.

When I had the 40,000 mile major service, which includes changing plugs, I noticed a big increase in the "crispness" of performance for want of a better word.
Originally Posted by chuck911

Yeah I would hope fresh plugs after 40,000 (!) miles would make a difference. Did you get a look at the old ones? Nice even tan/brown and all the same I hope. I've never seen a set that has gone that long. How'd the electrodes look?
I have close to 10,000 miles on my 2014 Carrera S after 8 months of use. 9A1 trouble-free so far <knock wood>. The car will easily have 30,000+ miles on it by the time I'm done, between year-round daily driver duty and 8-10 track days a year. I'll report back in time.

The spark plugs I'll keep an eye on. My 2011 M3 required a plug change at about 19K miles. The service advisor said, "It's early, but your plugs definitely need to be changed. Normally we don't change them until 30,000 miles." I'm assuming it's the 20+ track days that car had under its belt at that point that accelerated the maintenance schedule. In any case, BMW free scheduled maintenance took care of it.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:53 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
Spark plugs can go a long way these days .. I had my CLS55 spark plugs changed. you can see the OEM plug has lasted very well in 45k miles and 8 years .. very impressive. They didn't need changing, but they were changed.
NGKs on an AMG engine? Mmmm...I'd say that's a
I would've gone with the Mercedes ones which are made by Beru if I'm not mistaking...
Old 10-23-2014, 07:05 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
NGKs on an AMG engine? Mmmm...I'd say that's a
I would've gone with the Mercedes ones which are made by Beru if I'm not mistaking...
NGKs were fitted at factory. Replacements were bought from MB Dealer, also NGK.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:22 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
NGKs were fitted at factory. Replacements were bought from MB Dealer, also NGK.
Ok thanks. I guess they've switched to NGKs now.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:02 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

2010 997-2 with 15,500 miles of which 4000 are track miles.

No problems no issues no leaks. I add < 1/2 L between oil changes, but I will change oil twice during track season. I also have Blackstone do Used Oil Analysis and all are clean; in fact last one they remarked that it was the best in the life of their analyses - oil protection improving (have always used M1 0W40). Also to note, this past summer on two separate track weekends I ran very hot - max oil temp ~ 275 degF and max water temp ~ 245 degF from data logging. I was concerned but Blackstone confirmed no issues (this was the best UOA as noted above).

Real test will be to see how the 9A1 with mods for GT3 handles long term 9000 rpm, but the overall trend for the engine IMO is quite favorable.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:44 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Came across this article which, while not specifically about the 9A1, has a lot of interesting information. http://mtz-worldwide.com/index.php?m...fhqbknruimcc56

A few bits for those who don't want to wade through the whole thing-

Well-known but bears repeating:
The flat-six engine runs smoothly and does not generate so-called free torques or forces. Furthermore, flat engines are ideal for reducing the centre of gravity of a vehicle. The horizontal cylinders allow a particularly low design and the lower the centre of gravity of a vehicle is, the more sportily it can be driven.
Performance and efficiency are necessary, but both must be guaranteed, even under economic constraints. All current flat-six engines therefore originate from the same family ? the 9A1 construction kit introduced in 2008. While a general identical parts and technology strategy was already pursued before the introduction of the 9A1 construction kit with consideration for the specific technological requirements of individual derivatives, the 9A1 construction kit was implemented for the first time as an engine construction kit based consistently on a modular structure for use in derivatives of the Boxster, Cayman and Carrera. The requirements of highly supercharged units were also considered for the 911 Turbo. With modular engines, it was possible to achieve synergy effects in the development process and economies of scale as well as integrate economical variants in the construction kit, ?.

In addition to a high proportion of identical parts such as

connecting rods

valve drive

belt drive

valve cover

oil supply

sensors and actuators

connecting rod and crankshaft bearings

high-load threaded joints (connecting rod, cylinder head, thrust block, etc.).

great importance was attached to the economical manufacture of components for variants. The cylinder crankcases and cylinder heads for all displacement variants, for example, are manufactured using a shared external mould. The variants are generated using specific sand cores and liners in the case of the crankcase. At the same time, these components are manufactured on joint production lines because they are processed in the same way. From an economic viewpoint, this approach is ideal for generating variants with consideration for the technical characteristics of individual derivatives. In the standard applications implemented today, the construction kit covers a displacement spread of 2.7 to 3.8 l, a power range extending from 195 to 412 kW and maximum engine speeds of 9000 rpm (in the 911 GT3) and is used in all current Porsche flat-six engines installed in production sports cars:

Boxster (2.7 l, 195 kW) and Boxster S (3.4 l, 232 kW)

Cayman (2.7 l, 202 kW) and Cayman S (3.4 l, 239 kW)

911 Carrera (3.4 l, 257 kW) and 911 Carrera S (3.8 l, 294 kW)

911 Carrera S with power kit (3.8 l, 316 kW)

911 GT3 (3.8 l, 349 kW)

911 Turbo (3.8 l, 390 kW) and 911 Turbo S (3.8 l, 412 kW).
Authors

XXXDipl.-Ing. Jörg Kerner

is Vice President Powertrain Development at the Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG in Stuttgart (Germany).

XXXDipl.-Ing. Thomas Wasserbäch

is Director Development Boxer Engines at the Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG in Stuttgart (Germany).

XXXDipl.-Ing. Markus Baumann

is Manager Development Boxer Engines at the Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG in Stuttgart (Germany).

XXXDipl.-Ing. Frank Maier

is Manager Development Boxer Engines at the Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG in Stuttgart (Germany).

Quick Reply: Preliminary verdict on the 9A1?