Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine mounts Stiffening noticeable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 03:30 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Engine mounts Stiffening noticeable?

While Speccing my 991 PDK car, I am wondering if i need the sport chrono

I now have a boxster S pDK with Sport Chrono, PSE , paddles etc

I am not sure the value of SPort chrono if i do not care for gmeter , clock and sport plus as Sport is Std on the car. I also do not Track the car to use max RPM in auto mode

After owning the 981S for 18 months, I am not sure what sport plus enhances in manual mode since sport in manual mode has the same shift speed, shift feel and same pse sound levels compared to sport plus

So on a 991 with sport chrono , do the engine mounts stiffening make a noticeable difference in handling ?
Old 10-15-2014, 05:44 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes the mounts do make a noticeable difference.
Personally I do not care for it and highly suggest you go and drive one with and without.
Some days my car feels jarringly stiff with S-PASM, and Sport+ just isn't fun on bad roads.

If tracking regularly I can see the value, but not much else.

All just my very humble opinion.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:28 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 314 Likes on 189 Posts

Yes there is a noticeable difference in handling in Sport Plus. Love it on smooth roads with sport PSAM. i don't push on bad roads in any case. I believe the shift points are mapped to be faster in Sport Plus, but they are already fast in any case. Launch control is on Sport Plus. If such stuff does not matter, or if the smoother dash appeals, there is no absolutely no reason to get it.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:07 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

There is a difference from sport to sportplus that is noticeable. BUT I personally think that is attritubed to the PASM stiffness more than it is to the DEM's. So, no, I don't think I feel the difference in DEM's.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wondered the same bccars... But in sport plus (with pasm and engine mounts stiffened) the ride feels much firmer on the twisties than in sport with pasm manually activated (I.e no engine mount stiffening)... May be placebo ?
Old 10-16-2014, 02:02 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the feedback

if PASM is ordered on 991 Carerra , I believe per the online manual; PASM goes to even more stiffer in Sport plus mode as compared to Sport
So Suspension in sportplus > sport>normal from a stifness setting with cars on PASM and Sport chrono

And PDCC is also stiffer on S cars with Sport plus over sport. If i get the S it will be for the PDCC

Last edited by casaforte9; 10-16-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:31 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe too early to ask, but what is the consensus on engine mount longevity for these maglev (haha) fancy mounts? I can only imagine the out of warranty cost to replace them in labor alone.

Quick Reply: Engine mounts Stiffening noticeable?