Sponsored by:

Trip Planning Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Hojo8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip Planning Assistance

Just got word that my ordered 2015 Targa 4 should be at the dealer for delivery in the last week of next month. Soon thereafter I plan to leave on a driving tour for several months to make one lap around the good old USA.

The plan is the leave New Orleans heading west to San Antonio, then El Paso, then Tucson, then San Diego; turn north and hug the coast all the way to Seattle; turn east and follow the border to Michigan's upper peninsula, then on to Nova Scotia; turn south and follow the coast to Key West; and then return to New Orleans along the Gulf Coast. There is no time table. The idea is to meander and explore.

I hope to avoid the interstate as much as possible and find roads that get me from point-to-point with views and challenges suitable for a Porsche 911. This is where I hope you guys can help. Recently an Atlanta member posted the route his touring group would follow to visit the mountains of North Carolina. Views with twists and turns nearly all the way. It struck me that you guys on this forum could be the best source for finding the routes I should follow on my trip.

I am sure somebody here has found a great way to get from Tucson to San Diego in a Porsche; and the same likely would be true for all the other points along my planned trip. If you live around the edge of America and know some great roads for drivers to enjoy, I would love to hear from you. The same goes for sites that should not be missed.

This is one of those "bucket list" trips and I don't want to miss the opportunity of a great driving experience. Thanks
Old 10-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

If it arrives the end of November, you're planning a trip across the Northern part of the US in winter!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles
If it arrives the end of November, you're planning a trip across the Northern part of the US in winter!
I can't think of a better tool for the job than an AWD 911, but I do think my first stop would be a good clear bra installer. At 15,000 miles my car looks like it went through an asteroid field.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:20 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,146 Likes on 465 Posts

Sounds like an amazing trip in an amazing car. I have to agree that driving through northern USA and Canada in the winter in a 911 seems like a bad decision. Our winter last year in Indiana was brutal, tons of snow and record cold; not exactly sports car weather. My Cayenne fitted with snow and ice tires did great, but a 911...
Old 10-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Hojo8
Advanced

Thanks Noah Fect. I learned from lurking here that PPF is a must. It will be applied before leaving the dealer.

Departing "soon" in this case means a few months . It probably will be April or May before I can clear my docket and head out for the road. Thus, I hope to be making the northern leg a couple of months later when the weather is more suitable for some golf.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:04 PM
intruder224
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Targa 4S completes it's build tentatively on 10/24 but my dealer says I won't see it until mid Dec. Mine will be coming into Brunswick. What port is yours going into to get to you by the end of Nov?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you will be heading up Hwy 1 along the CA coast, and I am sure the SoCal guys on here will suggest some inland detours, but for before you get to S.F., after you go through Monterey (and you have to stop in there), make sure you head in just off the coast and though the Santa Cruz Mountains along "Skyline" and the up Hwy 1 to S.F. Couple of decent wineries up there too if you are interested.

Sounds like a phenomenal trip!
Old 10-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Hojo8
Advanced

Thanks Dalema....that's just the kind of local knowledge I was hoping to get.

Intruder 224....mine is heading to Brunswick as well, with delivery at Hennessy in Roswell
Cheers
Old 10-13-2014, 01:54 AM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Santa Barbara to Solvang via the 154 was fun and had a lot of elevation changes. Highway 1 from Hearst Castle to Big Sur is of course some of the most breathtaking views just watch out for the rental RV's and rental Mustangs most of the drivers are starring at the Pacific Ocean instead of the road.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:04 AM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Before heading up Highway 1 along the Central California coast, a stop in Morro Bay is a nice place. The Blue Sail Inn a block above the Embarcadero's restaurants has covered parking under its two story building. I have stayed there for years for the parking when driving my Porsche.
Highway 1 passes Hearst Castle about 30 miles north of Morro Bay as Highway 1 starts to hang off the cliffs on its way to Monterey. Well worth spending a few hours taking the tour.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:41 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Of course the preferred way to drive the coast is north to south. But Hwy 1 north of Mt Tamalpais for several hundred miles is so freakishly beautiful and (once you get past Mt Tam) nearly devoid of traffic its hard to believe. I read somewhere that a huge proportion of the worlds car ads are shot on these roads. Also the first few hundred miles of Oregon coast Hyw 101 from the border north are incredibly scenic. Harder to enjoy than Calironia Hwy 1 due to traffic but Oregon 101 makes up for it in being right on the coast with literally hundreds of places you can pull right off and take in the views virtually all by yourself. (Cali beaches are all private property so hardly any access therefore where there is access its crowded. Oregon is all public, access everywhere, never any crowds.) Unfortunately this leaves you a zone of several hundred miles in northern CA that is not scenic, not nice roads, nothing whatsoever to recommend it. Its not dreadful but after the paradise of Hwy 1 it will seem to be.

Also once you get about 2/3 of the way up the Oregon coast it gets ridiculous. Fewer good views, too many little towns to slow you down. Some like Yachats are very picturesque to stop for lunch. But basically from about Cannon Beach, OR all the way to Seattle you will be a lot better off getting away from the coastline. I live in Redmond, have driven the entire Washington coast, around the peninsula, everything from there clear down to Monterey. Skip the Washington coast. How far inland you go depends on how much you want to see the Cascades. The Lodge at Mt Hood is a truly world class mountain lodge with a world class 5 star (yet surprisingly affordable) restaurant well worth planning a night there.

The nice thing if you visit Mt Hood, there are more awesome, deserted yet beautifully paved roads from the coast all the way to Mt Hood. Virtually unknown. PM me for help if you want to try this, you will need the help, but its truly worth it! Imagine driving ALL DAY on a road that feels more like a trail or driveway than a highway, a road that never goes straight more than a hundred feet, a road without shoulders or centerline, a road so narrow there are stretches where every hundred yards it widens a few feet in order to allow trucks to pass! Yet there are no trucks, no traffic at all really, and yet the pavement is smooth as silk!

Anyway, from Mt Hood you can continue north through the Gifford Pinchot Natl Forest on more deserted twisty roads, coming out at Packwood, where you then continue north east to Mt Rainier, driving north even if you do not enter the Park (which I recommend, at least driving up to Sunrise) you'll still enjoy spectacular views of Mt Rainier from Cayuse Pass. This will get you all the way from Monterey to Seattle without EVER setting tire on an interstate.

Here's a view of Mt Rainier from Sunrise, on your way into Seattle.

Last edited by chuck911; 03-21-2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Hojo8
Advanced

Porsche 9xx
Scottis Pete
Chuck 911
Thanks so much for your insights and the generosity of your time.
Chuck, I will PM you later as I near the departure time to learn more. Your description makes the routing a must, and you have solved all my problems from Napa north.
This could turn out to be a great thread to hang onto.
My best.....
Old 10-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Mosbrn78108
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great plan! I'd recommend XPEL Ultimate clear bra

This is my 2012 991 after they got done completing the install

Before

Mike
Old 10-13-2014, 01:25 PM
UAE_911
Intermediate

From San Antonio to El Paso, I would take HY 90; the stretch of road around Alpine and Marfa is fun (if you happen to be into minimalist art/architecture make sure to check out Chinati foundation in Marfa).

If Tuscon is not a must, then instead you could consider taking HY 52/59/159 in New Mexico which connects Interstate 25 with HY 180. I would then take HY180 north, take a west on HY 60 and explore the roads around Sedona.

In SoCal, I like HY78/79 which connects Interstate 8 with Interstate 15 (Temecula).
Between LA and SF, HY 1 is the unavoidable must. Before hitting HY 1, you could consider HY33/166 connecting Ventura with Sta Maria

Although traffic can be heavy at times, HY17 from Sta Cruz to San Jose is also a nice road to drive really fast but you can also follow HY1 all the way to SF. North of SF, I would just continue to follow HY 1 / 101 all the way to Seattle.

Have fun and let us know which roads you discover during the epic journey you are planning.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Hojo8
Advanced

Great plan! I'd recommend XPEL Ultimate clear bra
Mike...it sure makes your blue "pop". Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: Trip Planning Assistance