Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local 2015 GT3 is still available. Must resist.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Local 2015 GT3 is still available. Must resist.

One thing I can't stand about the 50th is the sound on overrun (edit), and I'm now thinking this is software and a new exhaust won't change it.
Aside from the drone and sounds on throttle (which I have discussed a few times and can obviously can be changed), I really dislike the extended and patterned burbles, upon lift. Even the slightest throttle input and lift (in PSE on mode) creates the patterned and overly exaggerated backfire. Each time and every time exactly the same. And almost as intense as it is under heavy or full throttle. It just screams gimmick to me and detracts from a driving experience that is otherwise precise and rather pure.

Can anyone confirm whether a new aftermarket system changes the sounds on throttle lift? Ironically the sound itself is not bad, it's just the pattern and predictability of it. And it being so exaggerated.

Last edited by Ceepe; 10-12-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

If u send me ur email address, I can Dropbox a video/audio to you to hear the AWE exhaust. But from ur post, I don't think you'll like it. Perhaps a 3.4?
Old 10-12-2014, 09:52 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

If you hate the burbles, I'd probably just put a stock C2S exhaust on the center portion. That would be your best bet to eliminate the pops and cracks.

From all the videos I have seen, the burbles and pops were present.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

So its the PSE that makes the snap, crackle, pop? Confusing because you can hear it on videos of other exhausts - AWE, Fabspeed, Sharkwerks to name a few. My car has the PSE, but thinking on ordering a new 7MT one and leaving off PSE for aftermarket exhaust options. But I like the noises.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:28 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,122 Likes on 1,460 Posts

I find this amusing, one of the most hallowed sounds (Porsche burble) on the marque history and the OP 'can't stand it'. That's akin to saying one hates the shriek of a Ferrari V12, or the unique rumble of an Aston Martin V8. Far from a gimmick, its the character of the car.

May I suggest a Lexus? Quiet, comforting, secure......
Old 10-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It isn't specific software for the PSE or to the 3.8L engine. I have a 3.4L and replaced the center muffler with an S and mufflers with Sharkwerks bypass - burbles are there.

Could you just turn PSE off?

I did just go back to stock on mine - so if anyone is looking to convert a 3.4L to something a lot more aggressive (a lot more!), I have the S center, Sharkwerks bypass and tips I'll be selling soon.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:34 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

I believe any aftermarket exhaust including PSE will cause cracks and burbles. The 991 has two side mufflers behind each wheel, and a third resonator (picture it as a mini muffler) in the middle where the tips exit. Most aftermarket exhausts eliminate the third resonator and that is where the majority of the cracks and pops come from. The PSE exhaust is more free flowing than the regular C2S resonator, thus resulting in a louder sound, but not nearly as loud as the AWE that completely eliminates it.

drcollie - I agree with you completely. Nothing touches that Porsche burble. Will never forget the moment I started up the GT3. Tears of joy....
Old 10-12-2014, 12:06 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
One thing I can't stand about the 50th is the sound on overrev, and I'm now thinking this is software and a new exhaust won't change it.
Aside from the drone and sounds on throttle (which I have discussed a few times and can obviously can be changed), I really dislike the extended and patterned burbles, upon lift. Even the slightest throttle input and lift (in PSE on mode) creates the patterned and overly exaggerated backfire. Each time and every time exactly the same. And almost as intense as it is under heavy or full throttle. It just screams gimmick to me and detracts from a driving experience that is otherwise precise and rather pure.

Can anyone confirm whether a new aftermarket system changes the sounds on throttle lift? Ironically the sound itself is not bad, it's just the pattern and predictability of it. And it being so exaggerated.
The sound it makes when you overrev is the "rev limiter" cutting ignition and yes it sounds awful. So avoid doing this. But maybe you meant to say overrun? Overrun is kind of complicated, someone is bound to correct me, but basically its caused when you lift off the throttle and unburned exhaust gases are burned or ignited while going out the exhaust. So yes, different exhaust systems will definitely change this sound.

The "burbles" are intake noises. Change exhaust, it won't do a thing for intake. Yes different exhaust can sometimes make similar noises, but most everything out there is less restrictive (read, louder) not more (read, quieter) and it sounds like you're looking for quiet.

So you have two different things going on. Both happen when you lift, but one is intake, the other exhaust.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
One thing I can't stand about the 50th is the sound on overrev, and I'm now thinking this is software and a new exhaust won't change it. Aside from the drone and sounds on throttle (which I have discussed a few times and can obviously can be changed), I really dislike the extended and patterned burbles, upon lift. Even the slightest throttle input and lift (in PSE on mode) creates the patterned and overly exaggerated backfire. Each time and every time exactly the same. And almost as intense as it is under heavy or full throttle. It just screams gimmick to me and detracts from a driving experience that is otherwise precise and rather pure. Can anyone confirm whether a new aftermarket system changes the sounds on throttle lift? Ironically the sound itself is not bad, it's just the pattern and predictability of it. And it being so exaggerated.
Each to their own... If you ever tire of money as well please PM me before posting

Joking aside, it is a legitimate question and I hope you find your answer. As much as I live for the next journey with PSE on, I do notice it creates a vibration through the cabin at low-med revs and sometimes on longer motorway/freeway journeys I turn it off for sections to remind myself how silky smooth the mechanicals are...

Good luck 👍
Old 10-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
I find this amusing, one of the most hallowed sounds (Porsche burble) on the marque history and the OP 'can't stand it'. That's akin to saying one hates the shriek of a Ferrari V12, or the unique rumble of an Aston Martin V8. Far from a gimmick, its the character of the car.

May I suggest a Lexus? Quiet, comforting, secure......
I don't think you're understanding. I am not talking about the mechanical sounds that a flat six makes under back pressure. I am talking about a sound and more importantly, a pattern or duration of sounds being created through software (or some other way) to make the car sound more aggressive (on lift). It's fake or at best enhanced burble. The pattern and repetition of it is what is annoying. Pure mechanical sounds would not be as regular, patterned and irregardless of intensity of input. I want the exhaust much louder and more classic to the flat 6 sound. The exhaust part is easy to correct, but this overrun off throttle sound is what I'm concerned I can't change. It is not pure, nor marque. It's simply a joke. Mezger's don't overrun anywhere near this duration or pattern. Nor does the new 3.8 DFI motor in the 991 GT3.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
The sound it makes when you overrev is the "rev limiter" cutting ignition and yes it sounds awful. So avoid doing this. But maybe you meant to say overrun? Overrun is kind of complicated, someone is bound to correct me, but basically its caused when you lift off the throttle and unburned exhaust gases are burned or ignited while going out the exhaust. So yes, different exhaust systems will definitely change this sound.

The "burbles" are intake noises. Change exhaust, it won't do a thing for intake. Yes different exhaust can sometimes make similar noises, but most everything out there is less restrictive (read, louder) not more (read, quieter) and it sounds like you're looking for quiet.

So you have two different things going on. Both happen when you lift, but one is intake, the other exhaust.
yes, sorry. I mean overrun. It was too early in the morning.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

I have to agree with previous posters here ... Maybe Porsche isn't for you. And a GT3 certainly won't fix your problems with burbling.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:26 PM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Buy a Lexus.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C'mon guys... It's a legitimate question...
Old 10-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

why not try one of those aftermarket systems that piggybacks onto the e-accelerator to fool the ECU that the pedal is being depressed faster than it is in order to remove some of the 'lag' mapped into the system?

that might obviate the problem you are having, otherwise I fear you are stuck with it unless you can find an aftermarket ECU remap that cures this...

the only other alternative is to get a car that doesn't do this - be thankful you dont have a BMW M car they pipe engine noise into the cabin thru the stereo now!

I doubt a GT3 will solve your problems, if anything it will give you a different set!

Quick Reply: Local 2015 GT3 is still available. Must resist.