Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local 2015 GT3 is still available. Must resist.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
I have to agree with previous posters here ... Maybe Porsche isn't for you. And a GT3 certainly won't fix your problems with burbling.
Mezger's don't overrun like this, and neither does the 3.8 DFI GT3 motor. This is not about the aggression of the motor and the sounds it creates. It's about faking it. I want more aggression, more volume, more classic inline six Porsche sound. But not the, what an old man luxury car buyer might think sounds aggressive sounds. It's about repetition of something that would not normally occur mechanically, so patterned and artificially highlighted that it is annoying. Over and over again, with each tiny lift of throttle. Why does the car sound so much more melodic and natural with the PSE off? The issue being in that mode, it is not nearly loud enough. Does any of that make sense? I'm a young guy. I put aftermarket exhausts on most of my cars. I'm not trying to make the car more quiet. Plugging the pipe and changing the exhaust is a fix for part of the issue (the god awful drone from the pipe and the tame exhaust and tone that leave a lot to be desired), but my post was about the overrun, and if that can be changed.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
One thing I can't stand about the 50th is the sound on overrun (edit), and I'm now thinking this is software and a new exhaust won't change it.
Aside from the drone and sounds on throttle (which I have discussed a few times and can obviously can be changed), I really dislike the extended and patterned burbles, upon lift. Even the slightest throttle input and lift (in PSE on mode) creates the patterned and overly exaggerated backfire. Each time and every time exactly the same. And almost as intense as it is under heavy or full throttle. It just screams gimmick to me and detracts from a driving experience that is otherwise precise and rather pure.

Can anyone confirm whether a new aftermarket system changes the sounds on throttle lift? Ironically the sound itself is not bad, it's just the pattern and predictability of it. And it being so exaggerated.

Tell you what Ceepe. I have a very nice 2014 C2, with no PSE. There is absolutely no burble and pop on overrun. I'll be very happy to trade cars with you. I'll even throw some cash into the deal ...... and the PSE that I've bought, and haven't installed yet. In case you change your mind.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Mezger's don't overrun like this, and neither does the 3.8 DFI GT3 motor. This is not about the aggression of the motor and the sounds it creates. It's about faking it. I want more aggression, more volume, more classic inline six Porsche sound. But not the, what an old man luxury car buyer might think sounds aggressive sounds. It's about repetition of something that would not normally occur mechanically, so patterned and artificially highlighted that it is annoying. Over and over again, with each tiny lift of throttle. Why does the car sound so much more melodic and natural with the PSE off? The issue being in that mode, it is not nearly loud enough. Does any of that make sense? I'm a young guy. I put aftermarket exhausts on most of my cars. I'm not trying to make the car more quiet. Plugging the pipe and changing the exhaust is a fix for part of the issue (the god awful drone from the pipe and the tame exhaust and tone that leave a lot to be desired), but my post was about the overrun, and if that can be changed.
Sorry answer is no
Old 10-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you pm the info about the local GT3 if you're not interested? I wouldn't mind taking a look at it. I'm in Massachusetts.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

I tend to agree with the OP. The burbles and pops are an artificial gimmick that wouldn't happen if the software weren't programmed to dump extra gas on the overrun just to make some racket. I wish I could turn it off while leaving the rest of the PSE functionality intact.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:50 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Programmed to dump extra gas? Really? Seeing as how they go schnauzer poop crazy trying to ring every 100th of an mpg out of these things, it's hard to believe the noise, especially on only one small part of the driving range, is from that.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:32 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Ceepe.

Is your car a MT or PDK?

The early MT 991's don't have the rev-match feature. It's part of that software. If your 50 is PDK then there is no solution.

I haven't noticed the exact repetition of the crackle/burbles on throttle uplift. I actually turn the PSE, select Sport plus manual (pdk) and leave it in 1st just so I can hear that loud burble/pop and be a porcupine while driving slowly through parking lots.

Seriously, it's part of the package and program. If you had a really good service manager at your dealership there may be a slight chance that there is a software patch for the 2012.5 cars that will eliminate it. I completely understand what you want. You want the glorious PSE exhaust OUT sounds from the car but not the POPS on throttle lift. Changing the exhaust in any way won't eliminate the pops on uplift with the PSE on. It's all downstream. It doesn't do it as much with PSE off. I get it.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:12 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find the pops and burbles of the overrun to be quite intoxicating.
Personally, I think the PSE is an absolute must option.
I guess you could just turn off the PSE.
I have a question.
If I get a 2012 C2S with the PSE without having the rev matching feature, will I still get the pops and burbles from the exhaust?
Old 10-13-2014, 08:00 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Ceepe.

Is your car a MT or PDK?

The early MT 991's don't have the rev-match feature. It's part of that software. If your 50 is PDK then there is no solution.

I haven't noticed the exact repetition of the crackle/burbles on throttle uplift. I actually turn the PSE, select Sport plus manual (pdk) and leave it in 1st just so I can hear that loud burble/pop and be a porcupine while driving slowly through parking lots.

Seriously, it's part of the package and program. If you had a really good service manager at your dealership there may be a slight chance that there is a software patch for the 2012.5 cars that will eliminate it. I completely understand what you want. You want the glorious PSE exhaust OUT sounds from the car but not the POPS on throttle lift. Changing the exhaust in any way won't eliminate the pops on uplift with the PSE on. It's all downstream. It doesn't do it as much with PSE off. I get it.
Thank you for your comments. I have a manual transmission 50th anniversary. I think I have come up with a solution that will work for me. When I drive the car hard, the pops/burbles are less repetitive and noticeable. What I'm going to do is put on an AWE exhaust, plug the symposer hole, and drive the car like I stole as much of the time as possible. I think at that point the overrun sound will not be something I focus on.

Last night i was on an empty country road and the car felt alive. It was one of those rare times when the light, road, temp, traffic and car are all aligned to provide a few moments of driving perfection. I had it understeering and oversteering over hills and sharps turns in a way I have not even felt on the track. I had a huge smile on my face and all thoughts of a GT3 or another car disappeared. I have made my peace with the sounds.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the x-pipe and side exhaust to amplify this ****... LOL!
Old 10-13-2014, 03:03 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Thank you for your comments. I have a manual transmission 50th anniversary. I think I have come up with a solution that will work for me. When I drive the car hard, the pops/burbles are less repetitive and noticeable. What I'm going to do is put on an AWE exhaust, plug the symposer hole, and drive the car like I stole as much of the time as possible. I think at that point the overrun sound will not be something I focus on.

Last night i was on an empty country road and the car felt alive. It was one of those rare times when the light, road, temp, traffic and car are all aligned to provide a few moments of driving perfection. I had it understeering and oversteering over hills and sharps turns in a way I have not even felt on the track. I had a huge smile on my face and all thoughts of a GT3 or another car disappeared. I have made my peace with the sounds.

Got it.

Seriously though. Since you have a MT I would ask your dealer if you could go to the 2012.5 non rev match software for your car. It's that simple.

In the meantime I like your idea about plugging the symposer and AWE. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:29 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Thank you for your comments. I have a manual transmission 50th anniversary. I think I have come up with a solution that will work for me. When I drive the car hard, the pops/burbles are less repetitive and noticeable. What I'm going to do is put on an AWE exhaust, plug the symposer hole, and drive the car like I stole as much of the time as possible. I think at that point the overrun sound will not be something I focus on. Last night i was on an empty country road and the car felt alive. It was one of those rare times when the light, road, temp, traffic and car are all aligned to provide a few moments of driving perfection. I had it understeering and oversteering over hills and sharps turns in a way I have not even felt on the track. I had a huge smile on my face and all thoughts of a GT3 or another car disappeared. I have made my peace with the sounds.
Glad you've found d your peace with the car. I have to say, you've got a great car. I wouldn't have bought the 50th with anything but a MT. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Local 2015 GT3 is still available. Must resist.