Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Refinishing GTS black CL wheel to Turbo S black/silver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 06:56 PM
cyberay
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

To understand wheel offset it helps to recall your high school algebra. Wheel offsets as we know them are negative by convention because the hub of the wheel is inside the barrel as opposed to outside the barrel (as on some heavy duty vehicles), which would be a positive offset. It is common to leave off the minus (-) sign when stating offsets for our wheels, but the understanding is that the offset is a negative one. Therefore, the more negative (numerically higher) that you go with the offset the further the hub retreats within the barrel, and the further away the outside edge of the wheel goes relative to the car body. The key here is to understand that, yes, the number is higher numerically, and consequently more negative. And more negative offset results in a wheel that is positioned further away from the centerline of the vehicle.

Last edited by cyberay; 04-14-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:13 PM
cyberay
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo
wow that makes it super clear! no just kidding it doesnt.

heres the simple question: the 991.1 GTS (2015) has the following info: on the front 9 x 20 et 51. on the back 11.5 x 20 et 48.

now i just saw a new set of 991.2 porsche turbo s wheels (they are fantastic looking) and their stats are 9 x 20 et 51. on the back 11.5 x 20 et 56..

he only difference in all of this is the rear offset. so that 8mm: does it look more sunken in to the car or more pushed out. and yes i recognize 8mm (like .3 inches) and is probably unrecognizable but thats the question i want answered. i BELIEVE this means that the wheel is pushed IN more (there for looks less flush with the fender) and is not pushed in more. That's because the closer you get to 0 the wider out the wheels are

i do not mean to be condescending in the slightest. i truly don't know
From the specs you state, the turbos wheels are 8 mm more negative than the GTS wheels are on rear offset, -48 vs -56, even though the minus sign is not commonly used. This being the case, the centers are further within the barrel so that when mounted to the car hub, the wheel is forced to extend further from the centerline of the car. The wheel is further out.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:37 PM
seatactony
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 137 Posts

Reviving this thread to see if anyone has had success refinishing the outer face (lip and just the face of the spokes) of the current GST wheels pictured below on white car? Considering a chalk GST but would like a bit more pop from the wheel face with such a subdued color. Doable?

The following users liked this post:
solidwater (08-08-2022)
Old 08-22-2019, 07:59 PM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by seatactony
Reviving this thread to see if anyone has had success refinishing the outer face (lip and just the face of the spokes) of the current GST wheels pictured below on white car? Considering a chalk GST but would like a bit more pop from the wheel face with such a subdued color. Doable?

You could have the outer edge diamond cut, i.e, machined off, by a competent wheel refinisher. The full process would be to remove the current paint/coating, reapply the current color (or whatever you want), fly cut the outer edge, then coat again in gloss or matte clear.

Quick Reply: Refinishing GTS black CL wheel to Turbo S black/silver?