Sponsored by:

GTS MODELS ARE ANNOUNCED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:08 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
well its certainly no longer/not yet a homologation model for GT3 class racing, although strictly speaking its not apparent to me that the engine is a required component in order to achieve this.

more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_GT3
It is required in the sense that the motor can be used for 8 years since it stopped appearing in a road going car. So my gut guess is the Mezger is good until/through 2019.

The idea propagated by some here that the RSR is homologated off the 991 Carrera 4 is only a half truth.

...and on another note there's 36 used 2014 991 GT3s for sale on cars.com right now. 36 for a limited production specialty vehicle. There's 10 or less of any other year and every other year includes RS production as well. So while my views might not be popular with the 991 GT3 crowd who have 150k invested, at least they're made up of facts and I think the silent majority agrees with me. Porsche designed the GT3 to be more accessible to regular drivers so that they could get away with selling it minus a large portion of their GT3 customer base they built up over a decade.

Had the 991 GT3 simply followed the previous formula as being the street version of the race car; I'd have one in my garage. No doubt Porsche might have made more profit as well as there would have never been a 'stop sale' due to faulty engines.

The final irony here is that I've repeatedly stated that I think the GT3 is a great car and actually I believe it's the best value 991. Further, it's probably the best daily driving car labeled GT3 that Porsche has ever made. It's only my view that it's not truly a GT3, and that the lack of a true previous-generation GT3 replacement disappoints a lot of us, that led to all this butthurt.

Last edited by destaccado; 10-09-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:41 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
From what I can tell, it's Alcantara by default, but you can opt for the Leather one at $0.
Thanks. I see that now.

Last edited by hinckley; 10-10-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:15 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
That's only half true. The motor was homologated off the last GT3. So in reality the 991 RSR is homologated off a combination of the old GT3's motor and the new car's chassis. Even if they had homologated off the new GT3; the motor was homologated off the last car. ...please at least attempt to use facts when you debate.
Well, if you actually understood how homologation works, you'd know you cannot homologate a new model on past model years. Please stop being so insulting when you are clearly clueless.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:17 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

No not exactly. You're just repeating BS you read from someone else instead of doing your own research. Here's the real GT3 -- sharing extremely little in common with the 991 street version other than certain aspects of the suspension, the brakes, rear bumper, chassis, and "the spirit" -- you 991 GT3 guys are HUGE on that! The entire powertrain is 100% different and the car is a totally different animal. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UrH9sHZ3ZYc
Um, no. You see unlike you, I actually drove a 2014 991 CS for four months prior to receiving my new GT3. The two are night and day different. Until you can say you've done that, you are just spouting the same dribble.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:18 PM
NutNut
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
No spacers are possible with the center lock wheels. You're just looking at the offset that's built into the wheel set. DMoore '13 991S '13 970GTS (and 1st on my dealer's list for a 991GTS)
Thanks for the reply.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your 991 GTS when it comes in.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:37 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Well, if you actually understood how homologation works, you'd know you cannot homologate a new model on past model years. Please stop being so insulting when you are clearly clueless.
Here's the link so you can read it yourself. The only individual that's clueless here is you.

http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...14%20FINAL.pdf

2.2.3.1 The homologation will become lapsed:
The year following the stop of the production if a minimum of 200 road cars has not been produced (50 for
a "Small Manufacturer")
8 years after the stop of the production if at least a minimum of 200 road cars has been produced (50 for a
"Small Manufacturer")

The Mezger motor IS homologated based off the previous generation cars whose production stopped in 2011 and should expire 8 years later or when the motor doesn't meet the new rules. The rest of the RSR is based off the 911 Carrera 4.

If you can't understand the actual rules; I suggest you Google "mezger homologated 8 years" where you'll find about 1000 threads on it.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:40 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Um, no. You see unlike you, I actually drove a 2014 991 CS for four months prior to receiving my new GT3. The two are night and day different. Until you can say you've done that, you are just spouting the same dribble.
A Ferrari is night and day different from a Yugo. I don't have to drive each car to know that. I can know that just by looking at the sum of its parts.

So since you supposedly need to drive a car to know that they're different or the same... Please share with me your vast experience with the 2014 911 Cup or RSR allowing you to have your opinion? *crickets*

Yes -- a 991 C2S and a 991 GT3 are very different. ....but nearly everything in the 991 GT3 is a derivative design of what's in the C2S.

Extremely little in the 991 GT3 has any relation to what is in the Cup. NOTHING in the Cup powertrain has anything in common with the 991 GT3.

Here's the thoughts of a professional racer whose driven both -- an opinion which under your own standards you're not even allowed to debate.

Steve Rance: "For me, The GT3 should offer the closest experience to driving a GT racing car on the road. That was what the GT3 was originally all about. Jumping out of a 996 cup and into a 996 RS, I was amazed at how close the driving experience was. The 997 can be made as similar to the 997 cup by a damper change. To me, it is the dynamic connection with it's motorsport stablemate that makes the GT3 so unique. Obviously, without shared hardware the association is impossible.

Guys who have never driven 911 GT racing cars have a unique chance to sample a big chunk of that experience with previous versions of the GT3. The new car - having driven one - feels nothing like a GT racing car. Fast and capable it may be but it is nothing like the experience.. Not only does it not feel like a 911 GT car, it doesn't actually feel like a 911. "

Last edited by destaccado; 10-10-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:09 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Here's the link so you can read it yourself. The only individual that's clueless here is you. http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...14%20FINAL.pdf 2.2.3.1 The homologation will become lapsed: The year following the stop of the production if a minimum of 200 road cars has not been produced (50 for a "Small Manufacturer") 8 years after the stop of the production if at least a minimum of 200 road cars has been produced (50 for a "Small Manufacturer")

Huh?...that's not what this is referring to. This clause allows for cars like the 997RSR and older to compete. A race car labeled as a 991RSR cannot be homologated on a different chassis number like the 997.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:17 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Brian, you are correct. I've never driven a cup car. Would love to, but haven't. Heck the RSR will probably never be possible. I love my GT3 and will always consider it a GT3.

Enjoy your choices, as this argument will never end. Sorry to the GTS thread. Looks to be a great car.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:19 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Brian, you are correct. I've never driven a cup car. Would love to, but haven't. Heck the RSR will probably never be possible. I love my GT3 and will always consider it a GT3.

Enjoy your choices, as this argument will never end. Sorry to the GTS thread. Looks to be a great car.
I love your GT3 too -- I just don't consider it a "GT3." All that said I hope it appreciates to the moon and your health allows you to watch it happen
Old 10-10-2014, 12:20 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Huh?...that's not what this is referring to. This clause allows for cars like the 997RSR and older to compete. A race car labeled as a 991RSR cannot be homologated on a different chassis number like the 997.
The Mezger motor is clearly homologated for 8 years. How else would you explain the RSR still using it?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:32 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

The Mezger motor is clearly homologated for 8 years. How else would you explain the RSR still using it?
Cars are homologated. The Mezger engine is used in the past 4 RSR homologated cars.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:37 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

(This forum thread has been hijacked by the GT3 crowd.)

The new 911 GTS is really the 911/50 special edition done in Carmine Red with a four wheel drive option and a removable top.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:49 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Don't feed the troll!
Double, you should have listened to this guy ^^ from several pages back in this thread.

Oh wait.

Can't believe this stupid pissing contest is still going on.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:52 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
(This forum thread has been hijacked by the GT3 crowd.)
Not sure if you're kidding, but I actually had to look up to check the forum header as I thought I was in the GT3 forum at one point.

Quick Reply: GTS MODELS ARE ANNOUNCED!