Sponsored by:

Buying first Porsche....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 04:06 PM
JDC911
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying first Porsche....

Hello all, and thanks for reading. Ive been reading the forum for awhile now and finally decided its time to post. Soon Ill be purchasing my first 911, once I find the right one for me that is. Ive decided to go with the base car vs an S since this will be considered a daily driver and will never see a track. I almost settled on the Cayman S but decided against it since I do have children who will want to ride from time to time so the backseat is a must. Ive been searching local dealers for months for the right car and have it narrowed to two....

'14 Racing Yellow coupe, black interior, PDK, Bose, 20" Carrera S wheels, sunroof

'14 White cabriolet, black top, black interior, manual trans, base stereo, 19" wheels

There are a few small options on each I know Im leaving out, but Im not looking at the specs right now.

Ive already talked to the dealer about the coupe and got them down from $106k to $101, and plan on calling about the cabriolet tomorrow and it stickers $101. So Ill see what they can come down to from there.

I prefer the manual trans, and my ideal would be for the coupe to have it since I love the Racing yellow. But all the manual coupes I find are black, and manual cabriolets are near impossible to find. If I could find a manual yellow cab Id be happy as a clam! If I go the cabriolet route, it will be my first convertible.

So I guess this turns into a coupe vs cabriolet thread from here. Id like to hear some opinions on both and any downfalls of each, if any, from the daily driver pov.

And no matter which route I go, Ive aready decided to keep the mods to a minimum.... Sharkwerks center muffler delete, Techart lowering springs, and aftermarket wheels.

So any opinions/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God bless....
Old 10-05-2014, 04:20 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd always go hardtop especially if you can stand having a yellow car. I can't but if I liked it I'd be all over that one. I'd prefer the factory 19" wheels though. I think they look great. Sounds like each has something you like but neither is as close to what you really want so I'd lean toward neither and keep looking. But if it came down t a coin flip you still win big at the end of the day
Old 10-05-2014, 05:52 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yellow Cab! Nothing better:-)
Old 10-05-2014, 06:49 PM
zathras
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd expand the search to other dealers, and see if you can get closer to exactly what you want.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:00 AM
JDC911
2nd Gear

I have been searching other area dealers. The local dealer hasnt had anything close to what I want since I started looking. Ive been searching La, Tx, Ok, Ar....All just seem to stock whats popular. If I dont find one to decide on soon then Ill just order one exactly like I want. Id love to have it now, but Im not exactly in a big rush either.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:23 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Something to bear in mind: if you'd ordered it when you started canvassing dealers, you'd probably have it by now.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:57 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Up here in Bellingham, WA there's a real nice Cab with a manual, Anthracite, excellent condition with a brand new motor. Its an S, might run you a bit more, but you'd recoup some selling the pedal extenders.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Samp4
Racer

I have a cab and it is more trouble to wash. I don't mind that but if you are not willing to put in the little extra effort you may want to think about that. It is not a lot but is more than the coupe.

I love my Cab and there is very little wind coming in the cabin. I drive mine daily as well so think it works fine for that. I only considered Cabs and ordered mine. It is a nice feeling to know you got what you wanted instead of settling. Of course you will pay more as the 2014's have discounts if you go that way. I was unwilling to pay so much and compromise but it all depends on how close the cars are to what you want.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by JDC911
I have been searching other area dealers. The local dealer hasnt had anything close to what I want since I started looking. Ive been searching La, Tx, Ok, Ar....All just seem to stock whats popular. If I dont find one to decide on soon then Ill just order one exactly like I want. Id love to have it now, but Im not exactly in a big rush either.
DO IT! - and take European Delivery.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Something to bear in mind: if you'd ordered it when you started canvassing dealers, you'd probably have it by now.
+1 ... call around and see who has build allocations and when... if you are spending north of $100k you should get the car you want ... not the one a dealer (or another customer) wanted...
Old 10-06-2014, 11:50 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I am a coupe guy. No soft top, no targa top, no sunroof, just a hardtop coupe please! My wife has a hardtop convertible and it still doesn't tick the right boxes for me - when I drive it I never put the top down.

If you are at all on the fence about a cab, drive a few to see if that's really the experience you want. Cab upkeep is more than a coupe, you have to take care of the top fabric to minimize fading and other wear.

Color is the most personal aspect associated with a car. I love Racing Yellow and have a RY 2015 GT3 on order. Don't buy a car in a color you are not passionate about.

If you are truly considering a near base car, check with a couple of dealers and get a price on an ordered car. Seems dealers will give a few percent off MSRP on an ordered car.

Ryan
Old 10-07-2014, 12:10 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Cab all the way (with MT)...if you're not going to regularly track it...nothing beats 360% view and wind in your hair...
Old 10-07-2014, 07:42 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Looks like your dealer is offering less than 5% discount on a leftover car.

I would expect 6-8% on a 15' order let alone a leftover 14 which should probably be going for invoice (~10%) and might even have an additional 5k in trunk money in the next few months.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:42 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 424 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
I have a cab and it is more trouble to wash. I don't mind that but if you are not willing to put in the little extra effort you may want to think about that. It is not a lot but is more than the coupe.

I love my Cab and there is very little wind coming in the cabin. I drive mine daily as well so think it works fine for that. I only considered Cabs and ordered mine. It is a nice feeling to know you got what you wanted instead of settling. Of course you will pay more as the 2014's have discounts if you go that way. I was unwilling to pay so much and compromise but it all depends on how close the cars are to what you want.

Why do you think a cab is harder to wash? I think it is easier. Mine is treated and I never soap it. If it gets wet I just lightly towel it at the end of the dry.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Samp4
Racer

I have to brush it to clean it if dirty and I can't simply wax it. I also have to dry it separately. It is not a deal killer for me but this is my first soft top and seems to be a little more work.

Quick Reply: Buying first Porsche....