Sponsored by:

wood trim?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 03:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Wood is definitely in the eye of the beholder. I've seen cars where it looked great, the next person says too bad they put wood trim. I've seen cars where the wood trim looked absolutely hideous, then seen that car held up as a stunning example. (I was stunned too, I guess.) So if you like it, get it. But be prepared, its one of the more polarizing options.
+1

although a bit OT, I find the 'std' metal trim in the 991s a bit 'cheap' looking, its a bit too shiny for me, I'd opt for either CF, paint to ext, brushed alu, or leather.

I'd never pick wood trim, I personally think it has no place in a modern sports car, TR6 or Austin Healy 3000, Morgan etc were probably the last cars that
wood was a fitting counterpart to IMO, i.e nothing much younger than a 356 or 550 Spyder, perhaps with the exception of the gear stick '****' on the Carerra GT.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:29 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1

although a bit OT, I find the 'std' metal trim in the 991s a bit 'cheap' looking, its a bit too shiny for me, I'd opt for either CF, paint to ext, brushed alu, or leather.

I'd never pick wood trim, I personally think it has no place in a modern sports car, TR6 or Austin Healy 3000, Morgan etc were probably the last cars that
wood was a fitting counterpart to IMO, i.e nothing much younger than a 356 or 550 Spyder, perhaps with the exception of the gear stick '****' on the Carerra GT.
That's an interesting point. Wood is a traditional material with a long history. Where is wood universally loved today? Home furniture. Boats. Places we take comfort indulging in nostalgia. The wood in old classic cars is beloved because it evokes those old memories, much more so than any of the other more modern materials used in those same cars.

Jump forward to today, to buy a modern car, especially one so deeply rooted in technology as a Porsche, then equip it with something so thoroughly outdated? Inconsistent, to say the least. When we are in a place, we want to know the place we are in. So which is it- the smoking room of the gentlemen's club? Or the cockpit of the worlds best drivers car? Here I think is the root of what polarizes so many.

And yes, yes, I know leather is still around. But nobody yet has found anything that looks and feels as good while being as durable as leather. Which is why I think its no accident Porsche put that little splinter of wood on the CGT shifter. Its the one place for wood to be functional while giving just the right subtle tip of the hat to history.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
That's an interesting point. Wood is a traditional material with a long history. Where is wood universally loved today? Home furniture. Boats. Places we take comfort indulging in nostalgia. The wood in old classic cars is beloved because it evokes those old memories, much more so than any of the other more modern materials used in those same cars.

Jump forward to today, to buy a modern car, especially one so deeply rooted in technology as a Porsche, then equip it with something so thoroughly outdated? Inconsistent, to say the least. When we are in a place, we want to know the place we are in. So which is it- the smoking room of the gentlemen's club? Or the cockpit of the worlds best drivers car? Here I think is the root of what polarizes so many.

And yes, yes, I know leather is still around. But nobody yet has found anything that looks and feels as good while being as durable as leather. Which is why I think its no accident Porsche put that little splinter of wood on the CGT shifter. Its the one place for wood to be functional while giving just the right subtle tip of the hat to history.
(Kull Wahad!) could not have said it better myself!
Old 09-24-2014, 05:41 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'd never pick wood trim, I personally think it has no place in a modern sports car, TR6 or Austin Healy 3000, Morgan etc were probably the last cars that wood was a fitting counterpart to IMO, i.e nothing much younger than a 356 or 550 Spyder, perhaps with the exception of the gear stick '****' on the Carerra GT.
That was my thought too as I read through the thread, could have maybe worked on the 50th anniversary edition if you had the traditional interior...
Old 09-24-2014, 06:11 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wood trims can look sporty. I saw this "Black Wood layered with Aluminum" trim on Audi RS7, and it was so sumptuous and sporty. If 991 had this trim as an option, I would have gladly paid more money for it.

If cheaper Audis can have it, why a Porsche can't? If these two companies share chassis and mechanisms, why can't they share wood trims?

Last edited by coxswain; 09-24-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:15 AM
RADManZulu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wood definitely goes with a sportscar, just think Jaguar E type, Aston Martin any version etc etc.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:30 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

I added it to stop the reflected glare from stock aluminum.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:31 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by RADManZulu
Wood definitely goes with a sportscar, just think Jaguar E type, Aston Martin any version etc etc.
Think Morgan...the frame is wood...
Old 09-25-2014, 11:46 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

To me personally, it looks totally wrong and out of place in a 991 !
But if you do like it, by all mean, get it !
Old 09-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

If it has to be wood, I think a 'black' wood trim works, but natural/brown stain belongs in a (faux) Lexus or something built before 1965...
Old 09-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coxswain
Wood trims can look sporty. I saw this "Black Wood layered with Aluminum" trim on Audi RS7, and it was so sumptuous and sporty. If 991 had this trim as an option, I would have gladly paid more money for it.

If cheaper Audis can have it, why a Porsche can't? If these two companies share chassis and mechanisms, why can't they share wood trims?

color the above brown and see how sporty it looks
Old 09-25-2014, 06:20 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I really looked at the beautiful richness of the mahogany wood trim . . . but it would be too dark with the black leather I ordered, and with the various two-tones it just seemed with three colors it made it look too busy.
As my first 1965 911 had a teakwood dash with black interior, I feel wood is entirely appropriate in a Porsche . . . but I also have an Austin-Healey 3000 so I am admittedly a bit automotively weird.

Quick Reply: wood trim?