Sponsored by:

Is this a feature or a bug?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:23 PM
zathras
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a feature or a bug?

ok, strangest thing... washing the new baby yesterday and every time I sprayed the frunk hood it popped. First time it happened I thought maybe I squeezed the keyfob in my pocket and triggered it. So I closed it and sprayed again and pop, up she comes... I got it to pop up repeatedly by spraying it with the hose. It has not popped up unintentionally any other time. wtf is going on? do I have a bad sensor somewhere or what? I am wondering what is going to happen when I drive in the rain!
Old 09-22-2014, 11:29 PM
AzCoronaDog
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same thing happen while washing the car yesterday with the key in my pocket. I remember reading about leaving the key away from the car so the frunk wouldn't open when washing the front, but I was surprised the water did it too. I put the key in the garage away from the car and did not have any further surprise openings.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:35 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Take the key fob out of your pocket and leave it somewhere AWAY from the vehicle. You have "entry and drive" and your proximity is causing the water to open the frunk. I learned the same thing the first few times I washed mine.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:52 PM
Yardman
6th Gear

It is a feature.
Keyless entry allows you to touch the front bumper just in front of the hood emblem and the front hood will pop open and your doors will unlock if you have your key fab with you.
If you are at the car wash and spray at this location with the key fob in your pocket it will also do it.
But no..rain won't open it while driving. Your key fab must be outside the car within 3 feet of it.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:24 AM
zathras
Instructor

Well that is interesting and unexpected. I have just confirmed that none of you are lying...

It actually takes more than a light touch though- I had to touch it pretty hard to get it to pop (that's what she said)... Now I have finger and hand prints all over the thing... guess another wash is in order... sans keyfob of course...
Old 09-23-2014, 12:32 AM
AzCoronaDog
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

It should pop without actually touching the car.
The sensor is under the center of the front bumper, just forward of the hood.
I have found it sometimes takes a couple of seconds to work, but you definitely do not have to be touching the car, just very close.
However, you still get finger prints on the hood when closing it, so you just can't have it all!
But after seeing how the automatic targa top works, I wouldn't be surprised to see a no-touch closer in the future!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:46 AM
jlanka
Drifting

don't touch to open. Push on the crest to close, to avoid prints
Old 09-23-2014, 03:39 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow thats scary to a 997 owner. I think one of the VERY first 997 owners was a Rennlister. Because of the new front end design it had a flaw that when he washed the car it erased the ECU. MAN O MAN talk about MONTHS to fix! It was a nightmare for him and finally got settled. But thats what happened. he washed the car the trunk opened and boom!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:59 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

No - it's not a "feature" that when washing the front of your car with a hose the frunk pops open and you drench the inside of your frunk.

The fact that it happens to all of us with the Entry and Drive option, does not make it a feature.
It's a design flaw.

As for opening the frunk, simply hover / place your hand about an inch over the bumper area directly under the Porsche emblem. No touching required but it does take a second or two to pop open.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:13 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
don't touch to open. Push on the crest to close, to avoid prints
I was told not to press the Crest to close
Old 09-23-2014, 08:19 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I just leave the key inside the car while I wash it. That way you have the key when you need, it and you don't have to guess on how far away from the car to leave the key.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:51 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by THPorsche
I was told not to press the Crest to close
I've never had a problem
Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just spot-weld the join just in front of the crest it will not happen any more.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:12 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I know a lot of folks love PED, but I'm not one. This is one of the reasons why. I had it on my C4S and did not check the box on my incoming Turbo.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:45 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Its a bug. Fortunately we just learned you can easily remove bugs with a moistened Bounce fabric softener sheet. Step 1: remove key from pocket, place by dryer….

Quick Reply: Is this a feature or a bug?