Sponsored by:

Ingram Collection Visit

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 05:35 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Ingram Collection Visit

I'm a little late in posting this but here goes. Monday the 15th a friend and I were in Durham, NC for a dinner at the Ingram Collection. Bob Ingram has, reportedly, 60-70 Porsche's in his collection of which nearly 40 were at the event. It was an amazing group of cars including the following highlights: a Gmund coupe, 904 Carrera GTS, 550 Spyder, all RS models built for the U.S. and Europe. Many of his cars are low mileage--he had an '88 Carrera Club Sport lightweight (1 of 20 built for the U.S. market) with only 91 miles! There were several cars with less then 1,000 miles. The 904 had between five and six-thousand miles--half of which were put on at a race track. It won its class at the Reims 12 hour race in '63 or '64. All-in-all an extraordinary opportunity to see an exceptional group of Porsche's. It may be the largest private collection of streetable Porsches in North America.
Although the cars were the stars the second feature of the evening was the presence of Mark Webber, his partner Ann along with Leigh Diffey. My buddy and I were seated at the table with the Ingrams, Mark Webber, Ann and Leigh Diffey. Following dinner Diffey got up and said a few words then invited Mark up and interviewed him. Following which Mark fielded questions from the 45 or so guests attending.
The Ingrams do monthly track events at VIR with their two cup cars. I also met the owner of VIR, Connie, who sat at the table. She insisted my friend and I arrange a trip to her race track as her guest. Okay with me!
Not exactly 991 info but I thought my post would be be of some interest here.
Alright, here's some 991 stuff: I was at Miller Motorsports Park yesterday for my second track day in the 991S. It's PCA race weekend through Sunday so the group is on the full 4.2 mile track. For such a refined car it turns into an absolute beast on a race track. MMP has one of the longest straights in the U.S., 3,500 ft, and I was touching 140-141 at the end of it. Fun!
Old 09-21-2014, 11:52 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Getting a nice warm glow reading that, knowing I'm not the only one with a flip-phone. Why anyone would want a camera on a phone, go figure.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Very funny. No pictures allowed. At the end of the night we were the last ones there and Bob Ingram let us take a few pictures but asked that they not appear on the internet.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:11 PM
BlackSpeed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did hear Diffey reference the event and discussion with Weber this morning while watching the Singapore GP. Could be true, but you must have a pretty big friend to sit at the table with all those celebrities. Who's your friend?
Old 09-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

My friend came as my guest, the invitation came to me as a result of a meeting with John Stumpf, CEO of Wells Fargo (Ingrams are close friends of his). I was a little surprised at the seating assignment--but pleased by it.
Haven't watched the GP yet I'm interested to hear Diffey's comments.

Quick Reply: Ingram Collection Visit