Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI rec for shop near Milwaukee, WI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 11:26 AM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
Default PPI rec for shop near Milwaukee, WI?

I'm close to picking up a CPO 991 and just need to get a PPI done first.

Any recs for a shop nearby? Based on what I've read the default is Kelly Moss over in Madison but it is kind of far from the dealer.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:20 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I was happy with CPO from a dealer with a great rep. But I'm thinking about an end of warranty check at either the dealer or an Indy. IMO there's many things covetable under warranty that could be spotted in a good inspection that a regular driver could miss. Does anyone else do this or do people view it as a waste of time?
Old 09-13-2014, 01:25 PM
Vic and Ray
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most future mechanical issues should be covered by CPO and all maintenance records should be reviewed.

Maybe a PPI is useful for occult/non disclosed body damage, paint work. Or even a DME ECU check for abuse...???
Old 09-13-2014, 01:37 PM
Vic and Ray
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I was happy with CPO from a dealer with a great rep. But I'm thinking about an end of warranty check at either the dealer or an Indy. IMO there's many things covetable under warranty that could be spotted in a good inspection that a regular driver could miss. Does anyone else do this or do people view it as a waste of time?
Do you mean at the end of CPO warranty?

That's 6 years or 100K miles. Hopefully not much should be missed or lagging maintenance wise by you or your mechanic by then.

But if you are keeping the car that long, a thorough inspection before warranty expiration is maybe not a bad idea...
Old 09-13-2014, 01:38 PM
systemr
Instructor

well sure normally i would skip a PPI for a CPO car, but I'm buying out of state and hence without a test drive
Old 09-13-2014, 01:44 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Is the car manual transmission or PDK.

You can get the PP I done at the Porsche Exchange in highland park that's about 1 Hour drive from Milwaukee.

I thought Milwaukee had two Porsche dealership so find out which one did most of the work and get the PPI done at the other one.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:51 PM
systemr
Instructor

it is a 7MT. i'm surprised people suggest a dealer PPI, most in CA won't do it
Old 09-13-2014, 01:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by systemr
it is a 7MT. i'm surprised people suggest a dealer PPI, most in CA won't do it
Can you get an over rev report on a 991??

Most people don't suggest an indy shop, because most indy shops haven't started working on the 991 variant yet. I bet most if any don't even have the computers and software to do much anything.

If they won't do a "PPI" ask for a "used car inspection" or a "x-point inspection". Most will do that.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:27 PM
systemr
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
Can you get an over rev report on a 991??

Most people don't suggest an indy shop, because most indy shops haven't started working on the 991 variant yet. I bet most if any don't even have the computers and software to do much anything.

If they won't do a "PPI" ask for a "used car inspection" or a "x-point inspection". Most will do that.
good point on the indy, my hope is a motorsport oriented shop that preps 991s would have the necessary equipment
http://www.kellymossmotorsports.com/
Old 09-13-2014, 02:57 PM
mjgoetzi
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go to Accumoto in Madison. They know water and air cooled cars really well. Ask for Mark White. Otherwise there is Fabson Engineering in Cedarburg but I can't say much for them other than they have a decent reputation and are used by some of the guys I run with.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mjgoetzi
Otherwise there is Fabson Engineering in Cedarburg but I can't say much for them other than they have a decent reputation and are used by some of the guys I run with.
Ummm... No on Fabson. They are good for chasing down an issue with Webers on your '70 2.2 liter or a rebuild on a '72 914. 991's are not their specialty. I won't say much on these boards about Fabson other than I would never take my car there.

International Autos in Waukesha is your best bet if you want a dealer to do a PPI.

Concours Porsche on the east side of town may also be able to help. They damaged my '84 911 a few years ago, so I'm leery of the lot boys there that shuttle cars around. Techs are usually O.K. on the modern 911's.

European Auto House in Mequon/Theinsville is probably the best independent German car repair shop in the area. Owned and operated by a highly competent technician that takes pride in his work. My favorite shop by a long shot.

Kelly Moss can be O.K., but Madison is nearly 2 hours from some sections of Milwaukee. KM does do quite a bit of 911 work though.

Feel free to PM me if you need more assistance.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:39 PM
systemr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jay H
Ummm... No on Fabson. They are good for chasing down an issue with Webers on your '70 2.2 liter or a rebuild on a '72 914. 991's are not their specialty. I won't say much on these boards about Fabson other than I would never take my car there.

International Autos in Waukesha is your best bet if you want a dealer to do a PPI.

Concours Porsche on the east side of town may also be able to help. They damaged my '84 911 a few years ago, so I'm leery of the lot boys there that shuttle cars around. Techs are usually O.K. on the modern 911's.

European Auto House in Mequon/Theinsville is probably the best independent German car repair shop in the area. Owned and operated by a highly competent technician that takes pride in his work. My favorite shop by a long shot.

Kelly Moss can be O.K., but Madison is nearly 2 hours from some sections of Milwaukee. KM does do quite a bit of 911 work though.

Feel free to PM me if you need more assistance.
YGPM
Old 09-17-2014, 12:32 PM
LexVan
Banned

Systemr:?

Who originally sold the car, Concours or International?
Who's selling it now?
Who did the regular maintenance? (depending on the year of the car, I'd expect at least an oil change and a brake fluid flush)

Depending on your answers, I'd do a couple different things:

1) If the same dealership did the selling and the service, and If they showed you the service records and over-rev report, and it all looked good, I'd buy it with the CPO and skip the PPI.

2) If you really want the PPI, send the car to the Porsche dealership that DID NOT DO any of the regular maintenance (and hopefully it is the same one that did not do the selling too). This gives you more of an unbiased set of eyes. They will probably charge you for about 2-3 hours shop time and call it a "100 multipoint used car inspection".
Old 09-17-2014, 02:00 PM
systemr
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexVan
Systemr:?

Who originally sold the car, Concours or International?
Who's selling it now?
Who did the regular maintenance? (depending on the year of the car, I'd expect at least an oil change and a brake fluid flush)

Depending on your answers, I'd do a couple different things:

1) If the same dealership did the selling and the service, and If they showed you the service records and over-rev report, and it all looked good, I'd buy it with the CPO and skip the PPI.

2) If you really want the PPI, send the car to the Porsche dealership that DID NOT DO any of the regular maintenance (and hopefully it is the same one that did not do the selling too). This gives you more of an unbiased set of eyes. They will probably charge you for about 2-3 hours shop time and call it a "100 multipoint used car inspection".
Original dealership:
Porsche Exchange
Highland Park, IL

Servicing and selling dealership:
International Auto

Service done:
Recalls
2x oil change
High mount brake light repaired
Brake fluid flush

DME readout looks good only 251 ignitions in range 1

The PPI isn't terribly important IMO given the above, but since I haven't test driven it nor seen it in person I'm willing to pay for it.

Alternatively I'm trying to find somebody in the area to drop by and have a quick look.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:18 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by systemr
Original dealership:
Porsche Exchange
Highland Park, IL

Servicing and selling dealership:
International Auto

Service done:
Recalls
2x oil change
High mount brake light repaired
Brake fluid flush

DME readout looks good only 251 ignitions in range 1

The PPI isn't terribly important IMO given the above, but since I haven't test driven it nor seen it in person I'm willing to pay for it.

Alternatively I'm trying to find somebody in the area to drop by and have a quick look.
All the above sounds/looks very good.

Send a PM to Rennlister "Parnelli". He's a good guy and local to the car. Maybe he can do a Rennfax for you. He's a busy guy, but who isn't.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: PPI rec for shop near Milwaukee, WI?