Sponsored by:

Porsche World Roadshow in Fontana this October

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:15 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Porsche World Roadshow in Fontana this October

Has anyone in SoCal received an invitation to the Roadshow yet?

I haven't heard anything definitive, but I'd expect the new Targa (991 content!) and Cayman/Boxster GTS to be featured. Probably the Macan as well.

It's at the end of next month and my dealer hasn't heard anything about it yet. The website shows it scheduled for the very end of October and I'd expect the invitations to have gone out by now.

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 970GTS
Old 09-19-2014, 03:55 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nope, nothing yet
Old 09-19-2014, 09:42 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

Just back from the roadshow at Summit Point West VA. Outstanding event. The invites from dealers go out about 10 days in advance and this one filled up fast for Sat and Sun, had open slots for Friday.

The show uses Targa 4Cs, Cayman and Boxter GTS for follow the leader (Porsche instructor) on a good section of track, speeds up to over 100 on the straight. The Macan Turbo and Panorama GTS were used in a shorter autocross style run. Then a grand finale of 6 (yes six) 991 Turbo Ss for instructor driven hot lap (with some doing full tilt launch control starts).

For me, the takeaways are: 1) that the Cayman GTS was noticably superior to the Boxter GTS on Summit's highly technical tight short track section and both were every bit as fast as the heavier Targa; 2) the Macan handled far better than any SUV has a right to do; 3) the Panamera GTS has the best sport exhaust sound of any Porsche ever and is absurdly fast in the corners; 4) the Turbo S 4 wheel steering is for real an advance, but the car is too smooth and too quiet for something that covers ground so effortlessly.

I am cured of Turbo envy and awaiting the 991 GTS!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:21 PM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Just back from the roadshow at Summit Point West VA. Outstanding event. The invites from dealers go out about 10 days in advance and this one filled up fast for Sat and Sun, had open slots for Friday. The show uses Targa 4Cs, Cayman and Boxter GTS for follow the leader (Porsche instructor) on a good section of track, speeds up to over 100 on the straight. The Macan Turbo and Panorama GTS were used in a shorter autocross style run. Then a grand finale of 6 (yes six) 991 Turbo Ss for instructor driven hot lap (with some doing full tilt launch control starts). For me, the takeaways are: 1) that the Cayman GTS was noticably superior to the Boxter GTS on Summit's highly technical tight short track section and both were every bit as fast as the heavier Targa; 2) the Macan handled far better than any SUV has a right to do; 3) the Panamera GTS has the best sport exhaust sound of any Porsche ever and is absurdly fast in the corners; 4) the Turbo S 4 wheel steering is for real an advance, but the car is too smooth and too quiet for something that covers ground so effortlessly. I am cured of Turbo envy and awaiting the 991 GTS!
Great summary - thanks! Was hesitant of making a five hour trek out but definitely will now.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:55 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Turbo S 4 wheel steering is for real an advance, but the car is too smooth and too quiet for something that covers ground so effortlessly.
But chuck, that's why they make the Turbo S: to cover ground effortlessly!
Next step up from the Turbo isn't even a car, its a G5!
Old 09-20-2014, 12:24 AM
mrsmitty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from the roadshow at Summit Point West VA. Outstanding event. The invites from dealers go out about 10 days in advance and this one filled up fast for Sat and Sun, had open slots for Friday.

The show uses Targa 4Cs, Cayman and Boxter GTS for follow the leader (Porsche instructor) on a good section of track, speeds up to over 100 on the straight. The Macan Turbo and Panorama GTS were used in a shorter autocross style run. Then a grand finale of 6 (yes six) 991 Turbo Ss for instructor driven hot lap (with some doing full tilt launch control starts).

For me, the takeaways are: 1) that the Cayman GTS was noticably superior to the Boxter GTS on Summit's highly technical tight short track section and both were every bit as fast as the heavier Targa; 2) the Macan handled far better than any SUV has a right to do; 3) the Panamera GTS has the best sport exhaust sound of any Porsche ever and is absurdly fast in the corners; 4) the Turbo S 4 wheel steering is for real an advance, but the car is too smooth and too quiet for something that covers ground so effortlessly.

I am cured of Turbo envy and awaiting the 991 GTS!
Makes me feel better about waiting for the 911 GTS
Old 09-20-2014, 02:59 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Chuckbdc wrote:
Then a grand finale of 6 (yes six) 991 Turbo Ss for instructor driven hot lap
Get us used to those $200K 911s
Old 09-20-2014, 03:31 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Chuckbdc wrote:
Get us used to those $200K 911s
Originally Posted by wwlee
Great summary - thanks! Was hesitant of making a five hour trek out but definitely will now.
It was a great event, and a chance to try the cars at any level one desired, but there was not really a ton of track time. On the other hand any excuse for long drive is worthy.

The entire thing including an entertaining warm up/marketing ("Excellence ... music on Bose ... how to corner... focus on braking.. etc etc) classroom session last about 2 hours and 15 minutes. They do several each day, but punch your credential so you can't sneak back in.

The Porsche folks putting the event on were super in every dimension. Every event will take advantage of what the site offers. At Summit Point we were on a very technical short course (which I have driven and instructed on). The "long run" was about 30 seconds of hard core driving and 30 seconds as a passenger in each of three cars. The "autocross" was about a half mile out with high speed gates and a half mile back with slow tight gates- go for it the whole time in each car cause it don't last long.

(One tip for the end, avoid a large meal before the event, use the restroom and then wait for the Turbo driver who is doing launch control starts. That may make the trip worth it)

Quick Reply: Porsche World Roadshow in Fontana this October