991 Carrera S Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 09:25 PM
veilsideLGD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 991 Carrera S Brake Squeal

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if others are experiencing this with their Carrera S (mine is a 2013) but mine has this nasty brake squeal from 30 MPH all the way to 0 MPH. This has been an ongoing issue since May of this year. I never had an issue with squealing until the vehicle had around 10K miles. It now has 11,500 miles at this time. I have been to Pacific Porsche about 5 times or so to address it and the 2-3 times they couldn't replicate it or it wasn't that pronounced. It was inconsistent but it happened about 70% of the time when it first started. Each time they would scuff the rotors and pads and chamfer/bevel the rotors/pads. The noise would return after 50 miles or so.

I had the front brake pads replaced at Pacific Honda which I purchased from their parts desk. It resolved the issue for the first 100 miles but then it returned. Bedding of the brakes does not work and only resolves the issue for about 10-12 stops before it returns. I have met the Field Technical Manager from Porsche. He recommended the dealership to remove the rotors and pads and chamfer/scuff the rotors. Before he authorized the repairs, he verified the noise. It wasn't as pronounced as it usually is but it did exhibit itself.

Each person in service including the FTM explained how brake squeal is a by-product of high performance brake systems. While I understand that, it is hard to fathom that it is supposed to do that 80% of the time. It is very loud also and not a light squeal. It can be heard with the windows up. I also have a 2011 Boxster Spyder and it doesn't emit a squeal. The FTM and the service manager dismissed it saying it is a different car. While it may be a different car, the same concepts and principles apply as it is a high performance brake system.

After the repairs, the noise is even more pronounced and it happens 100% of the time. It always squeals when I brake which is very embarrassing for a $100,000 car. I live in Beverly Hills and drive where there are alot of exotics and their vehicles and I do not hear their brakes squealing even with Carbon Ceramics.

I will be bringing the vehicle in but I am at my wit's end with the vehicle. In addition, my front driver's seat squeaks and they have made multiple repairs which it has not been resolved as well. I've had multiple issues in the past: the rear bumper came misaligned, the driver's side rear tail light had the red lamination coming off from the inside, and the navigation screen fizzing out.

I know this is long winded but my enthusiasm for the 911 and Porsche is beginning to wane.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:53 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Normal.

Brake harder. And more often.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:56 PM
nleeumd
4th Gear

I had a similar issue on my 991s, I went to the dealer and they took the pads off and noticed hairline fractures in the pad itself on all four corners, replaced the pads and the squeaks were gone for good.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:58 PM
veilsideLGD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexVan
Normal.

Thank you for the response.

Is it expected that I brake hard all the time to eliminate the noise? I'm sure people don't expect owners to be bedding the brakes every time they drive the vehicle. Braking hard doesn't eliminate the noise. Firm stops doesn't eliminate the noise unless I use the bedding technique which may only last for 10-12 stops.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:17 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I cannot remember where I read it, but a source I trusted said you should do a "hard stop" every few days/once a week to keep them tip top shape. I do this and have never had even 1 squeak in over 3 years of 911 driving. Maybe it's hocus pocus or maybe there is some science there, either way I am a believer.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:34 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Brake squeel is not a problem on most 991s.
My brakes are still very quiet at 20K.
Squeel is a result of low pad pressure, relative to the pad friction.
So high friction pads are more succeptable.

Did you say pads got changed yet?

I would suggest a good brake bleeding just to assure you are getting adequate pad pressure, on all pads, when you are in low pedal pressure braking, such as 30-0 city driving.
Its an inexpensive thing to try.

Also cleaning the pistons and back of pads can assure more even pressure.
It could be there is some debris there allowimg pads to vibrate more than they should.
I wont recommend pad goop, but that is another noise control remedy.

Good Luck.
I would trade pad squeel for dash rattle any day.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:09 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Brake squeal is one of the well-known downfalls of the 911. Porsche knows how to fix this problem, but are afraid of upsetting the tiny fringe core obsessed with track performance. Your only hope, get one of these, they are very big in Beverly Hills!
Old 09-11-2014, 11:17 PM
veilsideLGD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chuck911
Brake squeal is one of the well-known downfalls of the 911. Porsche knows how to fix this problem, but are afraid of upsetting the tiny fringe core obsessed with track performance. Your only hope, get one of these, they are very big in Beverly Hills!
If it is a downfall, then I would imagine it would be a characteristic of the vehicle where a large majority if not all would have this concern all the time. That isn't the case since I can drive 911 off of the showroom floor and they do not have the squeal.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:42 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Just wash your car/ wheels every 100 miles and you will be fine. It's almost like a reminder for me to wash my car.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:14 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest you have any mechanic apply anti-squeal goop to the contact points on the pad.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:14 AM
Vic and Ray
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Normal.

Yes.

Same issue. Find a straight lonely back road, go as fast as you can manage (the faster the better) and then stand on the brakes HARD, ABS and all, and it went away.

Lots of fun too.....
Old 09-12-2014, 03:21 PM
kiya
Advanced

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Just wash your car/ wheels every 100 miles and you will be fine. It's almost like a reminder for me to wash my car.
I can't tell if you're serious here.... every 100 miles?
Old 09-12-2014, 03:27 PM
veilsideLGD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vic and Ray
Yes.

Same issue. Find a straight lonely back road, go as fast as you can manage (the faster the better) and then stand on the brakes HARD, ABS and all, and it went away.

Lots of fun too.....
I've tried this even as impractical as it sounds. I did this in 5 successions and the noise returned after 10 stops. If it only lasts around 10 stops and the noise returns is that considered reasonable? If it doesn't go away after doing, what can it be that is causing the noise to occur?
Old 09-12-2014, 03:29 PM
veilsideLGD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vic and Ray
Yes.

Lots of fun too.....
Originally Posted by lunarx
Brake squeel is not a problem on most 991s.
My brakes are still very quiet at 20K.
Squeel is a result of low pad pressure, relative to the pad friction.
So high friction pads are more succeptable.

Did you say pads got changed yet?

I would suggest a good brake bleeding just to assure you are getting adequate pad pressure, on all pads, when you are in low pedal pressure braking, such as 30-0 city driving.
Its an inexpensive thing to try.

Also cleaning the pistons and back of pads can assure more even pressure.
It could be there is some debris there allowimg pads to vibrate more than they should.
I wont recommend pad goop, but that is another noise control remedy.

Good Luck.
I would trade pad squeel for dash rattle any day.
Thank you for the constructive feedback. I will definitely ask the dealership to check the pistons and the back of the pads for excess brake dust or debris.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:09 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kiya
I can't tell if you're serious here.... every 100 miles?
Lol some people wash them more frequently than that.

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera S Brake Squeal