Sponsored by:

991 Carrera S Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:54 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
I replaced my pads with Centric Posi-quiet pads from Zeckhausen Racing, mainly to cut down on brake dust. However, they also squeal less than the stock pads. Possibly because I always use anti-squeal compound on all the contact points between the pads and the caliper.
+1

I installed the Centric Position-Quiet pads over 13k miles ago. No washing dust out of calipers. No hard brake bedding in. Never one squeal and dust is down by 95%. But it's crucial on ANY pad that all contact points are coated with an anti squeal coating or a hi-temp caliper lube designed for this application. The noise you hear is vibration. Treating those contact points properly removes the noise every time.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:16 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
+1

I installed the Centric Position-Quiet pads over 13k miles ago. No washing dust out of calipers. No hard brake bedding in. Never one squeal and dust is down by 95%. But it's crucial on ANY pad that all contact points are coated with an anti squeal coating or a hi-temp caliper lube designed for this application. The noise you hear is vibration. Treating those contact points properly removes the noise every time.
you did not hard brake bed in - really? how did you bed in then, or did you just install and drive and brake normally?
Old 10-21-2016, 04:29 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
you did not hard brake bed in - really? how did you bed in then, or did you just install and drive and brake normally?
For street pads, no bed in. Just drove normally. Never an issue.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

had this on my Cayman S, i.e., squeal under soft brake pedal pressure coming to a stop. Was awful. I stopped dragging the brakes softly at stops, instead braking later and harder. Problem solved. For a short time it would come back if I did a soft stop, but soon they were dead quiet no matter what.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:39 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

good to know, thanks

time to buy a set
Old 04-12-2017, 08:31 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by mtony
I replaced my pads with Centric Posi-quiet pads from Zeckhausen Racing, mainly to cut down on brake dust. However, they also squeal less than the stock pads. Possibly because I always use anti-squeal compound on all the contact points between the pads and the caliper.

In addition, the Posi-quiet pads have a backing plate on the back of the pads designed to keep the brakes "quiet". So far I have been very happy with both the decreased amount of dust and with the performance of the pads. BTW, before anyone says that Porsche components are the best and you shouldn't tinker with them, I guarantee that the stock pads will fail on most tracks if you are a fast enough driver. For my track cars, I have always used a track specific pad, typically from Performance Friction.
Anyone else using these pads? Seriously considering buying a set. My squeal is horrible.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:59 AM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Anyone else using these pads? Seriously considering buying a set. My squeal is horrible.

Thanks.
Yes, I have for several years now. I love them. In fact, I just bought a set of these for my BMW M235i. No squeak and WAY less dust.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:04 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Still love them after three years or so!
Old 04-12-2017, 04:20 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

My squeal got really bad by about 60k miles. I think the root cause is the way the rotor and pads line up, there's a tiny lip on the innermost part of the rotor that doesn't have any contact with pad and so it starts to stick out as the rotor wears down.

Anyway I put in new rotors and pads from Suncoast for about 1/4 the cost of having a dealer do it, and there's no more squeal... for now.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:38 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

When you guys talk about "bedding," you're not taking it up to 60 or so, correct?

You need triple-digit speeds for this procedure to work. Brake to the threshold of lockup, don't get into the ABS.

Not to be done on public roads unless you're willing to bet your license there are no cops around.

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera S Brake Squeal