Sponsored by:

Need input on buying decision...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
PDCC is one of my favorite options I have on my car. I love the way it virtually eliminates excess body roll. And PDCC technology really improves the quality of the ride over road imperfections compared to steel swaybars. It was a must-have in my book after all my extensive test drives and research. I also chose not to get SPASM. While I like the look, I disliked the firmer sprung ride, especially around town.

I track the car regularly and find the car amazing. But like most of us, spend the majority of my time on ever-eroding city streets. The balance of track-ready handling and compliant street demeanor make PASM/PDCC the perfect combo for me.

My suggestion... compare the different variations before you buy! You WILL feel the differences and one of them will likely appeal to your needs!
always sound advice ... regardless of the choices under consideration
Old 09-11-2014, 11:46 PM
General Jack
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another angle on this... I've found a car that checks many of my boxes. It doesn't have sport techno wheels, sport design or aero kit, or X51.. However, all of those options can be added after the fact.

I'm considering, as part of my offer to buy, to ask the dealer to throw in sport techno wheels, sport design kit, and maybe X51... at cost or cost plus small markup. This would get me very, very close to my ideal Porsche but at $30k less than ordering new. Car has 17,xxx miles but Porsche CPO to 4 years / 100k miles.. and I'm assuming it would still if Porsche installs the above parts.

Also, I wondering if they add the parts to the vehicle cost whether I can also apply the tax benefit of my trade (which is $20k+ more than the advertised price on the 991S).

Good idea?
Old 09-12-2014, 12:26 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,098 Likes on 5,261 Posts

Originally Posted by General Jack
Another angle on this... I've found a car that checks many of my boxes. It doesn't have sport techno wheels, sport design or aero kit, or X51.. However, all of those options can be added after the fact.

I'm considering, as part of my offer to buy, to ask the dealer to throw in sport techno wheels, sport design kit, and maybe X51... at cost or cost plus small markup. This would get me very, very close to my ideal Porsche but at $30k less than ordering new. Car has 17,xxx miles but Porsche CPO to 4 years / 100k miles.. and I'm assuming it would still if Porsche installs the above parts.

Also, I wondering if they add the parts to the vehicle cost whether I can also apply the tax benefit of my trade (which is $20k+ more than the advertised price on the 991S).

Good idea?
17k miles seems quite high. What MY is it?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:11 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I've found a car that checks many of my boxes...Car has 17,xxx miles but Porsche CPO. This would get me very, very close to my ideal Porsche but at $30k less than ordering new...Good idea?
NO! That is not enough of a discount to make it worth your while. Read this:

'Just called my dealer regarding the upcoming production for my November delivery car. I have to trade my 2014 S Cab with 127 miles- listed for 131/paid 121- well they offered me a whopping 90k for the car on trade...'

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...in-on-gt3.html

Dealer always offer below Manheim wholesale (MMR auction reports) to play it safe. From a realistic perspective, total depreciation for a MY2014 991S is about $40K on the first year. The depreciation hit for MY2013 or MY2012 1/2 991's (at the present date) would be far greater that! So saving $30K from new is all relative...and might not be a deal at all, even on a 'new' leftover MY2014 with 0 miles. You need to get familiar with Manheim MMR so that you can evaluate correctly what is a 'fair' market price for whatever model you are considering buying used. And adding these options on a used 991 purchase ('sport techno wheels, sport design kit, and maybe X51') is simply monetary suicide! Kiss your money goodbye. If you don't care about money, then just buy new. At least get the satisfaction of the perfect specifications for you via a custom order. So caveat lector.

My dos centavos, for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 09-12-2014, 11:15 AM
General Jack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z356
NO! That is not enough of a discount to make it worth your while. Read this:

'Just called my dealer regarding the upcoming production for my November delivery car. I have to trade my 2014 S Cab with 127 miles- listed for 131/paid 121- well they offered me a whopping 90k for the car on trade...'

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...in-on-gt3.html

Dealer always offer below Manheim wholesale (MMR auction reports) to play it safe. From a realistic perspective, total depreciation for a MY2014 991S is about $40K on the first year. The depreciation hit for MY2013 or MY2012 1/2 991's (at the present date) would be far greater that! So saving $30K from new is all relative...and might not be a deal at all, even on a 'new' leftover MY2014 with 0 miles. You need to get familiar with Manheim MMR so that you can evaluate correctly what is a 'fair' market price for whatever model you are considering buying used. And adding these options on a used 991 purchase ('sport techno wheels, sport design kit, and maybe X51') is simply monetary suicide! Kiss your money goodbye. If you don't care about money, then just buy new. At least get the satisfaction of the perfect specifications for you via a custom order. So caveat lector.

My dos centavos, for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Thanks for the input, you make some good points.

I agree that from an investment position I would be underwater if I added the sport design, techno wheels and X51. Even if I received those parts at cost from the dealer my cost basis would be around $100k for a car that would be worth less than that. However, a this is a total investment of around $100k versus $140k (MSRP) if I ordered new. Adding the options listed would give me the exact car I want with the exception of PDCC - which I've decided I can live without. And a couple options I would have a very hard time justifying if ordering new, namely the Burmester and two-tone leather interior.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Good idea?
I would be very surprised to find a dealer that would accept your conditions.
You *might* find one that would do a wheel swap, maybe even at cost, but adding Sport Design *and* X51 is a huge PITA for a dealer (and a buyer) requiring painting, and in the case of the X51 some major mechanical work to drop the engine and install the kit ...

I just dont think you will find a dealer hungry enough to do any of it, but good luck with it. better to find a car with the options you want.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Even if I received those parts at cost from the dealer my cost basis would be around $100k for a car that would be worth less than that. However, a this is a total investment of around $100k versus $140k (MSRP) if I ordered new.
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I would be very surprised to find a dealer that would accept your conditions. You *might* find one that would do a wheel swap, maybe even at cost, but adding Sport Design *and* X51 is a huge PITA for a dealer (and a buyer) requiring painting, and in the case of the X51 some major mechanical work to drop the engine and install the kit ...
General Jack:

What do you estimate the expense (even at dealer cost) for adding 'sport techno wheels, sport design kit and X51 to any 991 that didn't come with it from factory? Then give us a realistic 'additional' factored cost for minimum dealer profit, paint, installation, labor, et al. Both of these answers should tell us (the patient & tolerant readers of your thread!) much about how 'well-thought-out' is your plan...and if you are completely off any hallucinatory medications at the present time!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 09-12-2014, 12:57 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

Thanks for the input, you make some good points.

I agree that from an investment position I would be underwater if I added the sport design, techno wheels and X51. Even if I received those parts at cost from the dealer my cost basis would be around $100k for a car that would be worth less than that. However, a this is a total investment of around $100k versus $140k (MSRP) if I ordered new. Adding the options listed would give me the exact car I want with the exception of PDCC - which I've decided I can live without. And a couple options I would have a very hard time justifying if ordering new, namely the Burmester and two-tone leather interior.
My old car is now certified and for sale for $99,950 which, to me, is an awesome deal. Maybe I am biased because I loved it so much. It has PSE even though the description doesn't say so (I added it after the fact).

http://www.hennessyporsche.com/certi...48317/info.php

It would need X51 installed, but honestly - are you sure you need all of this? The Carrera S, as it stands, is frickin fast!!! You could pick up a car such as this and decide later if you want the X51.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

General Jack:

What do you estimate the expense (even at dealer cost) for adding 'sport techno wheels, sport design kit and X51 to any 991 that didn't come with it from factory? Then give us a realistic 'additional' factored cost for minimum dealer profit, paint, installation, labor, et al. Both of these answers should tell us (the patient & tolerant readers of your thread!) much about how 'well-thought-out' is your plan...and if you are completely off any hallucinatory medications at the present time!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

I didn't want to say it ... but I did think it
Old 09-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
My old car is now certified and for sale for $99,950 which, to me, is an awesome deal. Maybe I am biased because I loved it so much. It has PSE even though the description doesn't say so (I added it after the fact).

http://www.hennessyporsche.com/certi...48317/info.php

It would need X51 installed, but honestly - are you sure you need all of this? The Carrera S, as it stands, is frickin fast!!! You could pick up a car such as this and decide later if you want the X51.
when do you get the GT3?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:13 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

when do you get the GT3?
3-4 very long weeks. I got screwed on the shipping schedule. It's been sitting at Emden for 3 weeks and still has another week to go!
Old 09-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sgroer
3-4 very long weeks. I got screwed on the shipping schedule. It's been sitting at Emden for 3 weeks and still has another week to go!
that will be a long wait - but it will be worth it
Old 09-12-2014, 01:23 PM
General Jack
Instructor

I would be very surprised to find a dealer that would accept your conditions.
You *might* find one that would do a wheel swap, maybe even at cost, but adding Sport Design *and* X51 is a huge PITA for a dealer (and a buyer) requiring painting, and in the case of the X51 some major mechanical work to drop the engine and install the kit ...

I just dont think you will find a dealer hungry enough to do any of it, but good luck with it. better to find a car with the options you want.
I failed to clarify, I meant the parts at cost... I would expect to pay full labor on the sport design install and X51. And yes, that would add to my cost basis by several thousand. So many all in I'm looking at $105k.

If the dealer doesn't bite then its not the right car...
Old 09-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I failed to clarify, I meant the parts at cost... I would expect to pay full labor on the sport design install and X51. And yes, that would add to my cost basis by several thousand. So many all in I'm looking at $105k.

If the dealer doesn't bite then its not the right car...
gotcha - I still think that finding a dealer that is hungry enough for a sale to do this is going to be a challenge, but not impossible I suppose, good luck!

Old 09-12-2014, 01:30 PM
General Jack
Instructor

General Jack:

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

As mentioned above, I failed to clarify earlier that I would only ask for parts at cost, not the labor. Would expect to be at $105k all in after selling the existing wheels/tires. Car is advertised at $83k. Parts at cost or slightly over would be around $17k and I'm estimating $5k for sport design and X51. I have a very good, very reasonable paint and body guy. The X51 install would be the pricy one. Admittedly the $5k might be a little low.

MSRP on a build to match these specs would be just over $140k.

If my thread is bothering you feel free to ignore.

Quick Reply: Need input on buying decision...