Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need input on buying decision...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:46 AM
General Jack
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need input on buying decision...

I'm planning to trade my Ferrari F430 for a 991S. I need to decide whether to purchase pre-owned (2012 or 2013) or order new. The price differential will likely be large, ~$30k perhaps. Also, I figure that I'll need to make some concessions in my "wants" if I go pre-owned. One thing working in my favor is that I'm less than 200 miles from Houston and Dallas dealers (live in Austin). My sense is that many 2012 and 2013s are starting to come off lease.

My ideal 991S would be spec'd out as follows:
  • White
  • Full leather interior
  • Bose
  • Sport seats
  • Sport design steering wheel
  • Aero cup or sport design kit
  • Sport techno wheels
  • PDK
  • X51
  • PDCC

I realize that forgoing the X51 will make this process easier... if I did that I'd get sport exhaust and sport chrono. This will be more of a weekend car and I will do the occasional track event.

Input appreciated.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:57 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

You will have good luck finding choices with white and leather, but the X51 and the sport design kit will be the killer. Be prepared to go with the PSE and sport chrono, and you will find one quick. I just traded in my 991S cab with leather and sport design kit to Park Place in Dallas but I did not have PSE or PDCC.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recommend to get PSE, Sports Chrono and SPASM and remove PDCC.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:16 AM
General Jack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tosilog
Why remove the PDCC?

I was leaning that way instead of SPASM because of better ride quality with the decoupling of the sway bars when cruising, but the lessened body roll on the track days? Also, if I get aero or sport design that 20 mm drop could be a killer...
Old 09-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

If you search the forum, PDCC has been failing on high G loads on the track. In addition, SPASM gives you a natural feedback rather than PDCC which is artificial.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Car looks just perfect with the 20mm drop. Without the drop, there is this annoying gap between the tire and wheel wells, but that is just me.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:27 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Not quite white but how could you possibly resist..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks
Old 09-10-2014, 11:37 AM
General Jack
Instructor

If you search the forum, PDCC has been failing on high G loads on the track. In addition, SPASM gives you a natural feedback rather than PDCC which is artificial.
Yes, I have seen that, and it does give me pause. I doubt that I'll be running track-only tires or cornering as hard as those guys but who knows.

Car looks just perfect with the 20mm drop. Without the drop, there is this annoying gap between the tire and wheel wells, but that is just me.
I agree the drop looks good, I'd just like to avoid the scrape issues that I've had to be mindful of with the F430.

Appreciate the response.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by docmalone
You will have good luck finding choices with white and leather, but the X51 and the sport design kit will be the killer. Be prepared to go with the PSE and sport chrono, and you will find one quick. I just traded in my 991S cab with leather and sport design kit to Park Place in Dallas but I did not have PSE or PDCC.
+1

+1
Old 09-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Get that 50th in Plano. While it doesn't have the aero kit, it does have unique styling features (wide body, chrome accents, etc) that make it pop compared to regular 911. It has most everything you want. You can totally live without pdcc and spasm. I have that car and the regular pasm scrapes enough as it is.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by General Jack
Yes, I have seen that, and it does give me pause. I doubt that I'll be running track-only tires or cornering as hard as those guys but who knows.

I agree the drop looks good, I'd just like to avoid the scrape issues that I've had to be mindful of with the F430.

Appreciate the response.
Why risk it? Why ruin the fun? When you're smooth, that's when you go fast without even trying then BAM! limp mode in the middle of a high G turn.

Thats not even it, PDCC is so artificial as it doesn't really tell you whats going on so it gives you a false sense of "you're doing just fine".

It will not scrape, now if you have a 991 GT3, that could scrape and that's why they offer the front axle lift as an option at a ridiculous price.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:00 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just throwing this out there, but your list is too specific to realistically expect to find used or CPO. White with black interior and PDK, easy. Almost everything else on your list is likely to have been custom ordered and almost no one seems to have the same exact priorities.
If you're willing to compromise, I do agree with you that there should be bunches of off lease cars showing up soon.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:07 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Porsche Springfield Illinois has almost the perfect match. Except it is a cabriolet.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:50 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

PDCC is one of my favorite options I have on my car. I love the way it virtually eliminates excess body roll. And PDCC technology really improves the quality of the ride over road imperfections compared to steel swaybars. It was a must-have in my book after all my extensive test drives and research. I also chose not to get SPASM. While I like the look, I disliked the firmer sprung ride, especially around town.

I track the car regularly and find the car amazing. But like most of us, spend the majority of my time on ever-eroding city streets. The balance of track-ready handling and compliant street demeanor make PASM/PDCC the perfect combo for me.

My suggestion... compare the different variations before you buy! You WILL feel the differences and one of them will likely appeal to your needs!
Old 09-10-2014, 07:03 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Focus on what really matters here: you'll no longer be schlepping around in a Ferrari. Once you're in a 991, sure the options are nice, but really its all just gravy.

Quick Reply: Need input on buying decision...