Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB Port Music is Alphabetical on PCM

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014 | 08:09 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Default USB Port Music is Alphabetical on PCM

Has anyone else experienced this or found a solution?

When I search for and find music from a flash drive on the glove compartment USB port, ...

1) If I use the PCM screen to do it, the music on an album is sorted alphabetically

2) If I use the steering wheel stalk to choose the album from the instrument panel, the music plays in the order it appears on the album

Is there a way to fix the PCM issue? I seldom want tracks to play alphabetically. Well, not seldom, never...

Car in question is an otherwise perfect 2012 991. ;-)
Old 09-09-2014 | 09:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

you could rename the mp3 files on the USB to prefix them A-, B-, C- etc (ok I am only partially serious)

I fear that probably the PCM programmer helpfully decided to sort the tracks ... unless there is a setting I think you are 'stuck' ... the steering wheel stalk is probably doing next/previous track selection in the order found on the usb.
Old 09-09-2014 | 10:17 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

So, here's how that goofy thing works. You have to use the "Track List" button to access any albums whose tracks you want to play in their correct order. Once you have accessed the Track List for a given album, scroll all the way to the top of the display and you'll see an "up folder" icon to return to the next higher-level directory in the database. Press that, and you will eventually find yourself in a list of artists, where you can select the next artist and album to play.

If you rely on the album or artist search buttons, you will never find a way to play the tracks back in anything but alphabetical order. You can never use any search button other than "Track List" if you want it to work in a sensible manner.

Dumbest implementation of a music player I've ever seen, and I've seen (and written) some pretty bad ones in my time.
Old 09-09-2014 | 10:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
So, here's how that goofy thing works. You have to use the "Track List" button to access any albums whose tracks you want to play in their correct order. Once you have accessed the Track List for a given album, scroll all the way to the top of the display and you'll see an "up folder" icon to return to the next higher-level directory in the database. Press that, and you will eventually find yourself in a list of artists, where you can select the next artist and album to play.

If you rely on the album or artist search buttons, you will never find a way to play the tracks back in anything but alphabetical order. You can never use any search button other than "Track List" if you want it to work in a sensible manner.

Dumbest implementation of a music player I've ever seen, and I've seen (and written) some pretty bad ones in my time.
Uugh ... not the best UI ... maybe Porsche should hand PCM over to Apple?
Old 09-09-2014 | 11:05 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Noah Fect

Thanks, I will try that!
Old 09-10-2014 | 01:33 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Nice catch. I noticed that it messed up the playback order of the songs but it never occurred to me that it rearranged them alphabetically.
Old 09-10-2014 | 05:50 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

I spent many hours putting together a 128 song playlist for poker night. All my friends who heard it wanted a copy. In exporting the playlist to a flash drive the Mac put them in alphabetical order on the flash drive and reconfigured the play list on the Mac to alphabetical order as well. I still have the original order on my I phone and I pad but I'm afraid to sync either with the Mac. If I try to play this in the car will it change the play list in my phone to alphabetical?
Old 09-10-2017 | 10:40 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Reviving this thread from the dead

You would think there would be a firmware update to address this.

The track list method works as described above. However you want get album art
Old 09-11-2017 | 02:13 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Hmm interesting I've never noticed that, but I always use the stalk to pick music.

Quick Reply: USB Port Music is Alphabetical on PCM