Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming High Rise Garage Openers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:04 PM
advantyper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Programming High Rise Garage Openers?

Anyone else with 991 have problem programming garage openers from high rise building? Programming usual garage opener is super easy.

I lived in high rise building with two security gates, attached image of back of remote. I tried to program each button from the remote to my car and the flasher flash 3 times, on manual it stated signal been stored in memory.

but it never works, anyone else figure a solution or tip for this?

TKs
Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

My two gates went in fine. Is it a "rolling code" type gate? If so, there is a procedure in the OM on how to program for rolling code gates/doors.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 PM
advantyper
Instructor

rolling code? not sure?

TKs, I will take a look at OM and try the rolling code gate process, tks again
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find you have to push the overhead buttons until the red led flashes for it to activate - this is a slightly longer push than you might think
Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM
advantyper
Instructor

Tks for the tip, I'll give it another try, this is driving me nuts. With normal garage opener, its point and its done.

Originally Posted by SiNi
I find you have to push the overhead buttons until the red led flashes for it to activate - this is a slightly longer push than you might think
Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rolling code garage doors can never be reliably programmed with the existing remote you have. The only way to do so is to gain access to the opening mechanism and there is a mode to put the opening mechanism in to program remotes. This is the way they program all the remotes they hand out. This is also the way to program homelink remotes.

Last time I did this was over 12 years ago and I simply asked the man who serviced the garage door one day when I happened to run into him. Failing that you will have to ask your association for a way to do this if they allow it.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 PM
advantyper
Instructor

Gotcha, one more time messing with it, if not, just leave the remote in my car I guess, it wasted enough of my time already..hehe

Originally Posted by rpilot
Rolling code garage doors can never be reliably programmed with the existing remote you have. The only way to do so is to gain access to the opening mechanism and there is a mode to put the opening mechanism in to program remotes. This is the way they program all the remotes they hand out. This is also the way to program homelink remotes.

Last time I did this was over 12 years ago and I simply asked the man who serviced the garage door one day when I happened to run into him. Failing that you will have to ask your association for a way to do this if they allow it.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:25 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the "Rolling code" type of opening mechanism on my garage. I have only once been able to get a car to "read/transmit" to it. When the new car gets here I will gladly pay the garage door guy $100 or so to come over and program the 3 cars that I'm using hand held remotes for now.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by advantyper
Anyone else with 991 have problem programming garage openers from high rise building? Programming usual garage opener is super easy.

I lived in high rise building with two security gates, attached image of back of remote. I tried to program each button from the remote to my car and the flasher flash 3 times, on manual it stated signal been stored in memory.

but it never works, anyone else figure a solution or tip for this?

TKs
Likely a different frequency than a home link system. Don't waste your time.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 PM
advantyper
Instructor

yeap, I am done messing with it, leaving remote in the car

After more research looks like this type of remote change codes every time u press the button, so guess thats the reason why it doesn't work.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:28 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Home link can handle rolling code doors with no problem if the receiver is in the same freq range.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:47 AM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Somfy garage door remote controller and it won't program either. I'm thinking of having the unit replaced on the garage door with one that works with the HomeLink.

This is my Somfy unit:

Old 09-11-2017, 08:46 AM
Regansd12
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a way to program the security gate without the help of a gate repair expert. I actually doesn't know how to program it with the fob, it's an automatic gate. Can anyone here will help me with this.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I live in a gated community, and I'm the HOA board member who is responsible for programming our gate. I've programmed some cars that easily connect with the gate, and some that don't. They key to successful programming is having a remote unit that opens the gate properly. You must program the remote unit to one of the transmitter buttons in your car first, and then program the gate opener to the accept signal being generated by the car's transmitter. The universal transmitter buttons in your car don't send a signal until they have been programmed.

I've run into problems with some cars because the car's transmitter won't accept the signal from the gate operator's remote during initial programming. This can often be remedied by purchasing a universal remote control, programming that to open the gate and then starting the process from the beginning using the new universal remote. If your gate operator uses proprietary remotes, then this may not be possible.

To summarize:

1. Program one of the transmitter buttons in your car to transmit a signal to the gate operator, using the gate remote control unit.
2. Put the gate operator into program mode (you probably need somebody from the HOA or building maintenance for this).
3. Program the gate operator to accept the code being generated by your car.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2017, 10:23 AM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C

To summarize:

1. Program one of the transmitter buttons in your car to transmit a signal to the gate operator, using the gate remote control unit.
2. Put the gate operator into program mode (you probably need somebody from the HOA or building maintenance for this).
3. Program the gate operator to accept the code being generated by your car.

Good luck!
Thanks, I'm going to attempt this. I've always been able to connect home garage doors easily but haven't been successful with my apartment garage gate. It's super annoying to pull the FOB out of my pocket every single time so if I'm successful this would make it much more convenient. Will report back if successful.

Quick Reply: Programming High Rise Garage Openers?