Sponsored by:

BMW i8 v Porsche 911 Carrera S | evo DRAG BATTLE

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I agree. And as pointed above,get enough subscribers even with stupid comparos and then jump to EVO + paid membership.
+1 ... I'm not even interested in drag races anyway ... bolt a big enough (jet) engine or JATOs to a Yugo and you can spank a Veryon they are just not
interesting...

These guys need to up their (online) content game significantly if they want to keep their premier position in the motoring press IMO
Old 09-04-2014, 06:32 PM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i8

Way more expensive than a C2S, really in GT3 price territory.

Really, realy ugly.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:50 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not way more expensive. Try building a C2S and then tell me they aren't close in price. Futuristic looking but not ugly.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:55 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Their numbers are completely off in terms of acceleration and 1/4 mile.

Numerous times we have seen that the 991 C2S with PDK can run very low 12s or even high 11s, again and again.... I dont know how they measured the 12.7 sec 1/4 mile...
Old 09-05-2014, 12:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,852 Likes on 5,174 Posts

Originally Posted by todd92
i8

Way more expensive than a C2S, really in GT3 price territory.

Really, realy ugly.
The BMW i8 MSRP is around 136k, optioned out a bit with some niceties like the "Pure Impulse World" packge, it comes out to about 146k USD.

The C2S in the EVO comparison comes with the X51, Ceramic Breaks, SPASM, Sport Techno Wheels, and the Sport Design Pkg, which I think takes it close to 140k, if not more.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:59 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pointless in my opinion. I would not buy either car based on on a drag race.

I think Evo is a great magazine and if it helps them sell more copies, or online versions that good for them.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:02 AM
ruhlich
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Thanks for posting!

Please notice the difference between " Motor=electric " and " Engine=internal combustion " ,for those that always use motor when talking about an internal combustion engine and making my ears and eyes " bleed " in the process.
I have to side with neanicu on this one.
Since this thread appears to be near dead, I'll pursue.

Back when there was still some earth cooling happening, my studies in my electrical engineering classes defined "rotary sparks" as motors.

When I studied internal combustion for my mechanical major, "rotary firing noises" were defined as engines.

Just because (in my opinion) the redneck hot rodders customized their own descriptive language by calling "engines" "motors" doesn't make it right. And then many automotive editors (and I use the term loosely) have only encouraged it.......and everybody believes these guys.

Jeez.....Don't get me started on software engineers and their dialect......'search' "engine"........what a lack of language creativity.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:59 AM
BrandoU2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ruhlich
I have to side with neanicu on this one.
Since this thread appears to be near dead, I'll pursue.

Back when there was still some earth cooling happening, my studies in my electrical engineering classes defined "rotary sparks" as motors.

When I studied internal combustion for my mechanical major, "rotary firing noises" were defined as engines.

Just because (in my opinion) the redneck hot rodders customized their own descriptive language by calling "engines" "motors" doesn't make it right. And then many automotive editors (and I use the term loosely) have only encouraged it.......and everybody believes these guys.

Jeez.....Don't get me started on software engineers and their dialect......'search' "engine"........what a lack of language creativity.

This is too funny for me not to chime in. The higher division a classes was at the UCLA School of Engineering, the less authoritative the profs were on ANY english word. Not a bad thing. Great engineers, just not english experts.

Our English buddies at Oxford U, English Department, would tell you that "Motors" are a subset of "Engines" and specifically a MOTOR is "A machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle." I, humbly, consider that authoritative. The examples in the MOTOR sports world and life in general go on "forever" to support this. I don't believe the color of ones neck comes into play here.

Perhaps your childhood resembled a castle assaulted by a motorized siege engine. Let it go and haul some booty in your 991 Brother:reckon:

All in good fun!!!:lowdown:

P.S. I really enjoyed that video. I think that BMW almost, kinda, looks as good as the way more killer Porsche 911!!!!!
Old 09-05-2014, 02:32 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Interesting looking car that BMW. I worked for their engineering dept. as a driver many years ago. BMW is always trying so hard to be original. I was upset the other day when I noticed an M4 coming towards me. I thought is was a Mercedes E-class. Both have adopted Brabus' 5 year old CLS front bumper treatment.

Take a look at that road surface they are testing these cars on. That'll change the 0-60 results every time.

Two totally different buyers. I don't know anyone that would be a buyer for one and also be leaning towards the other. I haven't had any of my Porschephile friends tell me they were leaning towards a i8. I own a 2014 Prius but I rarely drive it.

What I can tell you is this i8 and the Tesla S handle like sh*t on the stock wheels and tires. The Tesla goes like stink in a straight line but even at modereate speeds the tires fold on a curve. Unnerving. If you haven't had seat time in one you have no idea.

23 miles on battery power alone! What about if you put your foot in it? I can make my Prius only get 15 mpg if I drive it like an a hole. Until they make a hybrid or full electric car that'll go 400 miles on a charge and only take a couple hours to completely recharge I'll keep my carbon footprint black.

Always fun to hear a Brit talk about launch control and motors.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:04 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

So, would you say the Tesla handles like a boat? Or ship?
Old 09-05-2014, 03:20 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
So, would you say the Tesla handles like a boat? Or ship?

LOL Chuck.

A boat. If the BeachHouse had a 220 plug on the dock I'd cruise that Tesla S over from Medina and get the crab cakes!
Old 09-05-2014, 09:18 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ruhlich
I have to side with neanicu on this one. Since this thread appears to be near dead, I'll pursue. Back when there was still some earth cooling happening, my studies in my electrical engineering classes defined "rotary sparks" as motors. When I studied internal combustion for my mechanical major, "rotary firing noises" were defined as engines. Just because (in my opinion) the redneck hot rodders customized their own descriptive language by calling "engines" "motors" doesn't make it right. And then many automotive editors (and I use the term loosely) have only encouraged it.......and everybody believes these guys. Jeez.....Don't get me started on software engineers and their dialect......'search' "engine"........what a lack of language creativity.
Soon enough all the engines will be gone and motors will take over,so everyone will be correct.
Those will be the days! I can almost see it : a local enthusiast Cars and Coffee where we'll argue that " my motor makes more power than your motor! Yeah,but my motor's batteries are lighter. Yeah,but I did " the exhaust " and my motor's whine is louder than yours ".
Old 09-05-2014, 11:55 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,852 Likes on 5,174 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Interesting looking car that BMW. I worked for their engineering dept. as a driver many years ago. BMW is always trying so hard to be original. I was upset the other day when I noticed an M4 coming towards me. I thought is was a Mercedes E-class. Both have adopted Brabus' 5 year old CLS front bumper treatment.

Take a look at that road surface they are testing these cars on. That'll change the 0-60 results every time.

Two totally different buyers. I don't know anyone that would be a buyer for one and also be leaning towards the other. I haven't had any of my Porschephile friends tell me they were leaning towards a i8. I own a 2014 Prius but I rarely drive it.

What I can tell you is this i8 and the Tesla S handle like sh*t on the stock wheels and tires. The Tesla goes like stink in a straight line but even at modereate speeds the tires fold on a curve. Unnerving. If you haven't had seat time in one you have no idea.

23 miles on battery power alone! What about if you put your foot in it? I can make my Prius only get 15 mpg if I drive it like an a hole. Until they make a hybrid or full electric car that'll go 400 miles on a charge and only take a couple hours to completely recharge I'll keep my carbon footprint black.

Always fun to hear a Brit talk about launch control and motors.
Marcus

Where and when were you able to test drive the i8? Around where I am the BMW dealers just have a plastic mockup of the car in the showroom.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:02 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Marcus

Where and when were you able to test drive the i8? Around where I am the BMW dealers just have a plastic mockup of the car in the showroom.
I still have friends that work for the VPC in Oxnard. Only a parking lot drive but enough. It's very Minority Report inside. I have to admit I like the interior. I couldn't tell if the seat would bother me on a long drive but I was reminded it wouldn't go far enough for that to matter in one drive. Smiles all around. Is it worth the money? Sure if that's your thing.

The Tesla S and the i8 have the same trans drag. There isn't a technical term that they were using but it takes getting used to. If you are a tech geek you will love both cars. They both feel heavy and understandably so. The problem with the Tesla was in a long sweeping turn at moderate speed the rear tires fold if a quick correction is made to the steering. You can't offset that problem with a wider rear wheel and tire setup. A lower profile tire will wreck the ride quality. Still enjoyable to drive. Novelty I'm sure. I know it's the future. The lack of real exhaust note for a guy who grew up with gasoline being his favorite smell is frustrating. It is what it is. I'm sure manufacturers will get better with the artificial engine note but what's the point as my wife pointed out. This is the reason she refused the Hybrid Escalade I was just about to buy her to replace her other Escalade.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol Marcus. OPEC must love you.

Quick Reply: BMW i8 v Porsche 911 Carrera S | evo DRAG BATTLE