Sponsored by:

Porsche 991 facelift spied

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'm anticipating Paris, since a Geneva launch might be 'too late' to initiate orders/production in 2QCY15
Larry: Just a quick note on that subject. PAG and their dealers worldwide are an ongoing business with quantifiable demand year to year for the automobiles they sell to their customers. Regardless when the 'announcement' of the facelift .2 991 is made (Oct 2014, March 2015 or whenever), orders for the MY2016 911's will be filled quickly when the allocations are given to dealers in the Spring of 2015 - whether generated by custom orders from individuals or by the dealers on spec.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I didn't know about the GT3 cutbacks but now that I do your reasoning makes a lot of sense, Eduardo. Porsche has a long history of introducing technology like this at the high end before eventually migrating on down the line. It seems like they recoup development costs of something like RAS on the GT3 and Turbo, then make their profit selling it as an option on something like a 991S. Then it will be standard on the S, optional on the 991. That has been the pattern for a very long time now. What keeps changing is the time this whole process takes to play out. It keeps getting shorter and shorter!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:40 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 661 Posts

I'm sort of in the middle of this. My PTS C4S order was delayed from September to November/December. Now, even though I plan to drive the car in all but the worst weather with snow tires/wheels, I have no desire to break the car in during winter. So, I'm thinking of waiting for the GTS in the spring. But when I say GTS, I mean more HP/torque. I won't have CL wheels and much prefer natural leather to alcantera. In fact, ventilated seats are a "must have" for me, as well as a back up camera. But my order is pushing $145K MRSP without the power kit and I sure would like to know what the GTS package is with pricing. My dealer has been very supportive to my plight, as I pre-traded my 981S that resold in less than 10 days on 4/30 and I have been driving a Tundra since then. My Tundra is a great truck but no fun car.
I'm all ears for any updated info. I think I have until about the end of September to change the build, which will be too early for anything official, but I'm hoping some accurate rumors are circulating by then.
I would just call it a day and order the Power Kit if it wasn't so ungodly expensive, especially considering I have no desire to get the PSE.
Eduardo, help!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,602 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Larry: Just a quick note on that subject. PAG and their dealers worldwide are an ongoing business with quantifiable demand year to year for the automobiles they sell to their customers. Regardless when the 'announcement' of the facelift .2 991 is made (Oct 2014, March 2015 or whenever), orders for the MY2016 911's will be filled quickly when the allocations are given to dealers in the Spring of 2015 - whether generated by custom orders from individuals or by the dealers on spec.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
I understand the ongoing order pipeline Eduardo; my point was that an announcement of a facelift 2016MY in Geneva at the beginning of March 2015 (and the associated new order guide) would be 'cutting it fine' to then have orders placed for that new model begin production at the beginning of May 2015.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:20 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Stop sale on the GT3 was a kick in the nuts to Porsche and delayed all kinds of sh*t.

I'm with Eduardo. Anything .2 991 earlier than next summer debut would cannibalize 2015 sales. We all know there are minions of 911 owners that order their cars and wait for months for them so it would be risky to do anything facelift earlier than the end of next year.

A lot of people including me would be quite pis*ed off if the base 911 or the S are anything but normally aspirated. Not to compare Porsche to Ford in any way other than to base a theory on the "faithful" but when Ford announced years back that the Mustang GT would be a turbo 4 or 6 cylinder there was blood shed all over Michigan and they backtracked like crazy.

If Porsche offered the S with a detuned turbo motor I'd be the first to turn up the boost and go crazy with tuning. Turbo performance with S pricing.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I'm sort of in the middle of this. My PTS C4S order was delayed from September to November/December. Now, even though I plan to drive the car in all but the worst weather with snow tires/wheels, I have no desire to break the car in during winter. So, I'm thinking of waiting for the GTS in the spring. But when I say GTS, I mean more HP/torque. I won't have CL wheels and much prefer natural leather to alcantera. In fact, ventilated seats are a "must have" for me, as well as a back up camera. But my order is pushing $145K MRSP without the power kit and I sure would like to know what the GTS package is with pricing...I think I have until about the end of September to change the build, which will be too early for anything official, but I'm hoping some accurate rumors are circulating by then. I would just call it a day and order the Power Kit if it wasn't so ungodly expensive, especially considering I have no desire to get the PSE. Eduardo, help!!!
Get PTS while you can! And if you want GTS performance, tick the current Powerkit option. You might not want PSE...but the guy you sell it to next will want it for sure! Trust me on that.

Here is my take:

1) There is no assurances the 991 GTS will be available right away in .2 facelift form. And you will not get much of a discount if it is.

2) PTS might be first available (perhaps) in the fall of 2015 for MY2016 cars...that is over one year away!

3) If you keep finding excuses to postponing your current 991 order...perhaps your daughter will be able to pick it up just in time to attend you funeral in style!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keadog
I'm sort of in the middle of this. My PTS C4S order was delayed from September to November/December. Now, even though I plan to drive the car in all but the worst weather with snow tires/wheels, I have no desire to break the car in during winter. So, I'm thinking of waiting for the GTS in the spring. But when I say GTS, I mean more HP/torque. I won't have CL wheels and much prefer natural leather to alcantera. In fact, ventilated seats are a "must have" for me, as well as a back up camera. But my order is pushing $145K MRSP without the power kit and I sure would like to know what the GTS package is with pricing. My dealer has been very supportive to my plight, as I pre-traded my 981S that resold in less than 10 days on 4/30 and I have been driving a Tundra since then. My Tundra is a great truck but no fun car.
I'm all ears for any updated info. I think I have until about the end of September to change the build, which will be too early for anything official, but I'm hoping some accurate rumors are circulating by then.
I would just call it a day and order the Power Kit if it wasn't so ungodly expensive, especially considering I have no desire to get the PSE.
Eduardo, help!!!
I feel for you, but I think that the soonest a 991 "facelift" (& and any GTS) announcement wont happen until either (hopefully) the Paris Motorshow at the beginning of Oct... or Geneva at the start of March next year for a possible MY2016 production run starting in May/June.

The pricing I would guess has to come somewhere between the MSRP of the C4S and the GT3.

Since the MSRP on a C4S w/powerkit and Sport-PASM is around $125k you would imagine that a GTS would come in below that somewhat.

I'm with Eduardo, keep the current PTS order (who know when the next PTS window will be for MY2016 cars).

enjoy!

- Larry
Old 08-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If memory serves (admittedly it gets worse each year!) the 996.2 and 997.2 received engine updates? In terms of 996.2 hp increase and 997.2 switch to 9A1 engine. What's expected here as it relates to the S? Would be a bummer to order a 991S and then .2 released with 25-50 more hp or a complete new engine. Exterior LED's don't phase me or the new caymanesque front bumper. I prefer the current taillights and the sport design steering wheel anyway. Just that nagging question of engine changes...
Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Those front vents look AWFUL!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:31 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Its a mule. Test car. They can test motors, air flow, all kinds of stuff without revealing what its going to look like in production.

Does anybody have any spy photo's showing anything like this looking exactly the same as what ultimately came out in production? Not holding my breath...
Old 08-22-2014, 12:28 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Every time I see that pic with the vanes I think this.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:41 AM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I am the curmudgeon of this thread. After 37 years my '74 911 is not that much fun a road car anymore, and when the 991 came out I liked the styling. First new 911 I have liked for decades. Now that the 991 has had a couple of years of customer testing, the warranty repairs should have debugged this new generation 911. I was uneasy with the "Spy Shots" showing the "new" 2015 Carrera with bigger taillights, plastic-looking screen engine vents, larger gaudy taillights and busy looking vents in the rear quarter panels. I had been looking at remaining 2014 inventory on various California dealer websites, as I like the current styling of the rear which finally slimmed down the fat butt look starting with the 1978 SC. The rear wheels moved back to me make a much better road car . . . remembering how much moving the rear wheels back 1 & 3/4 inch did to eliminate the choppy ride of my 1965 911 I drove or seven years before getting my current 1974 911. I especially like the raised interior console from the Panamera.
Last month my local dealer shared a confidential e-mail showing that the MY 2015 will have virtually no changes except a larger power window switch bezel and reversing camera option. I ordered a Carrera S in late July knowing that the 2015 won't show up with goofy styling I may not like.
So I am happy to get a sorted out 991 and will leave you folks to do customer field testing under warranty on the 991.2
Been there, done that with a 1965 911 with Nadella halfshafts having nine open u-joints, the Solex carbs, the weak mainshaft which let reverse gear break off . . . and a 1974 911 with the last magnesium alloy engine case that now has "case-savers" keeping it from pulling apart from the heat required to meet emissions before finally going to a catalytic converter, timing chain tensioners which failed from engine heat faster now replaced with oil fed tensioners, and the rubber center clutch that mostly exploded.
Wish me luck, as the dealer is 50 miles away for warranty work . . .
Old 08-22-2014, 01:01 AM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
Those front vents look AWFUL!
Looks to me like those front vents are Functional for whatever reason, they will open and close depending on speed but not sure what they will be using them for!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:57 AM
Oscarporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a project which is to config and to place an order for my dream C2S car w/ delivery in December/January. But with this .2 news and pics, I am uncertain if I should consider to postpone the project till .2 arrives.

Your thoughts would be highly appreciated.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tejstar01
Looks to me like those front vents are Functional for whatever reason, they will open and close depending on speed but not sure what they will be using them for!
Several other manufacturers (Ferarri) have these; they can close (thermostatically) to reduce drag when the engine does not need as much cooling and thus improving mpg I believe...

Quick Reply: Porsche 991 facelift spied