I'm going with Opti-coat

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 03:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,784 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Looks awesome.

There are people who don't like the look/effect of OptiCoat. I suppose there are people who don't like ice cream as well.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 08-25-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:35 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

yes I've heard that but I really think it looks great. I have to go back in a week for him to touch it up he said there will be some settling or something like that. He also said to try to avoid touching the paint, which is kind of hard to resist for me but whatever.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:49 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
The car has never looked as good, even the day I picked it up. I should have had this done when it was brand new. https://www.flickr.com/photos/224196...57646839412691
This is due to the expert paint correction. The OptiCoat just allows the finish to last longer. Looks great. Wait till you see how much easier washing will be.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:35 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
This is due to the expert paint correction. The OptiCoat just allows the finish to last longer. Looks great. Wait till you see how much easier washing will be.
Agreed - the orange peel that came from the factory seems to be gone
Old 08-25-2014, 05:37 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Looks awesome.

There are people who don't like the look/effect of OptiCoat. I suppose there are people who don't like ice cream.
Go have a look at Money's car in his thread. Look at Hammer's. Compare with the various nano coated cars. (There was a really good one several months ago.) Clearly there are differences. Differences great enough to show up even in iPhone photo's. Differences that remain apparent even with much better photography. Look at Money's car with the $179 luxury wax on it. Realize you are looking at a white car. Accept the full-on stunning realization that that car is white and it looks this good! Try not to fall off your chair.

But I'm pretty sure that's not the hardest thing for a person to get their mind around. No, the hardest thing is to understand that saying his car looks better is not the same thing as saying nano looks bad, or I don't like nano.

Lots of people prefer wax. The best waxed cars have a mesmerizingly buttery soft deep gleam they prefer to the shiny glassy mirror-clad hardness of the coatings. But a lot of people felt (and still do feel) the same way about transistors and CD's. They weren't able to stop tubes and turntables from being relegated over time to a tiny niche market too small even to qualify as a rounding error. (Except, please note, at the very top end of the market.)

Nano technology (and I really hate calling this stuff nano, because its not, but its not conventional coatings either, so what're you gonna do?) is really quite new, at least compared to wax, which has been around for hundreds of years. Its bound to get a lot better. Which we all of course know means, look more like wax.

And there you have it.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,784 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Go have a look at Money's car in his thread. Look at Hammer's. Compare with the various nano coated cars. (There was a really good one several months ago.) Clearly there are differences. Differences great enough to show up even in iPhone photo's. Differences that remain apparent even with much better photography. Look at Money's car with the $179 luxury wax on it. Realize you are looking at a white car. Accept the full-on stunning realization that that car is white and it looks this good! Try not to fall off your chair.

But I'm pretty sure that's not the hardest thing for a person to get their mind around. No, the hardest thing is to understand that saying his car looks better is not the same thing as saying nano looks bad, or I don't like nano.

Lots of people prefer wax. The best waxed cars have a mesmerizingly buttery soft deep gleam they prefer to the shiny glassy mirror-clad hardness of the coatings. But a lot of people felt (and still do feel) the same way about transistors and CD's. They weren't able to stop tubes and turntables from being relegated over time to a tiny niche market too small even to qualify as a rounding error. (Except, please note, at the very top end of the market.)

Nano technology (and I really hate calling this stuff nano, because its not, but its not conventional coatings either, so what're you gonna do?) is really quite new, at least compared to wax, which has been around for hundreds of years. Its bound to get a lot better. Which we all of course know means, look more like wax.

And there you have it.
So do you like ice cream, Chuck?
Old 08-29-2014, 11:17 PM
snowcar_C4S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modesta Coating

Modesta is the newest kid on the block as far as coatings go, and it is spectacular and more costly than the others. My 2011 M3 underwent full paint correction and received Opti-Coat Pro coating, wheels included and it still looks amazing. My C4S remains at the detailer undergoing paint correction and Modesta coating among other cleaning. I have attached a photograph showing work done on the hub (black ceramic coating) and the caliper finished with Modesta. Taken with a phone does not do it any justice, looks way better in the flesh.
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2014, 02:47 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
So do you like ice cream, Chuck?
Love it!

Sure people are always trying to sell me on ice milk, frozen yogurt, you know, all the other stuff people invented that are supposedly better than ice cream. And I know lots of people love those things. Enjoyed Dreyers Grand Light myself, for quite some time even. Ultimately though for me it seems no matter how many new things they keep trying out they just can't touch the old tried and true.

Remember that stuff they came out with some years back, supposed to be as rich and satisfying as ice cream? Only problem, **** leakage. At least there's no risk of that with these nano dealies. I mean, there isn't, is there?
Old 08-30-2014, 05:19 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Anyone heard of Xzilon? My Porsche dealer offers it and made it sound like opticoat other than that they also used it on the interior of the car.

I asked how it compared to opticoat, and all I got was blank looks.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:11 AM
snowcar_C4S
Advanced

Don't ever let a Dealer detail your car - never, ever, it's a scam and you will end up paying more to have your vehicle corrected thereafter. Go to your local Cars and Coffee Meet, look for the car with the best looking paint and ask where he/she had it corrected. Optimal paint correction is required prior to application of thee coatings, that's where the big expense comes in, my guy recently corrected an 80's Lambo, the paint was in bad shape and it took 40 hours to correct. By contrast, my 2011 M3 took about 10 hours to correct. These guys remove every and any imperfection in the paint, and then apply OptiCoat, the result is stunning, take a look here: http://teamspeed.com/forums/detailin...ar-detail.html

Always, always have the wheels done, inner barrel and outer section, you'll love the way it looks!
Old 08-30-2014, 11:14 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by snowcar_C4S
Don't ever let a Dealer detail your car - never, ever, it's a scam and you will end up paying more to have your vehicle corrected thereafter. Go to your local Cars and Coffee Meet, look for the car with the best looking paint and ask where he/she had it corrected. Optimal paint correction is required prior to application of thee coatings, that's where the big expense comes in, my guy recently corrected an 80's Lambo, the paint was in bad shape and it took 40 hours to correct. By contrast, my 2011 M3 took about 10 hours to correct. These guys remove every and any imperfection in the paint, and then apply OptiCoat, the result is stunning, take a look here: http://teamspeed.com/forums/detailin...ar-detail.html

Always, always have the wheels done, inner barrel and outer section, you'll love the way it looks!
Lots of truth in here.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:47 PM
wwspeeds
Advanced

DJlynch --

I am located in columbus OH now and I was having my other car (e93 M3) corrected, XPEL'd and coated at Esoteric Detail and I saw this gorgeous white C4S with white painted sport-techno wheels. I realized it was your car. The Kamikaze is done on it and it looks phenomenal. you're gonna be thrilled.

The guys at Esoteric are amazing. I am going to have my black C4S (SPASM,sportdesign,ducktail) done by them as well.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:34 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wwspeeds
DJlynch --

I am located in columbus OH now and I was having my other car (e93 M3) corrected, XPEL'd and coated at Esoteric Detail and I saw this gorgeous white C4S with white painted sport-techno wheels. I realized it was your car. The Kamikaze is done on it and it looks phenomenal. you're gonna be thrilled.

The guys at Esoteric are amazing. I am going to have my black C4S (SPASM,sportdesign,ducktail) done by them as well.
Awesome! Thanks! I am picking up the car Monday and can't wait to see it!!

Quick Reply: I'm going with Opti-coat