Sponsored by:

Xpel prevented serious damage to my car

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Montesquieu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xpel prevented serious damage to my car

Earlier this week, a careless valet slid my new Mexico Blue C2S into a wall. Deep slices were cut into the front right headlight and 30+ white scrapes were visible all over the front bumper.

I feared the worst, but by the time my detailer was done cleaning and buffing, nearly all of the white streaks had disappeared. A few very light scrapes can still be seen up close, if you're looking for them, and I can't tell whether these are scrapes to the Xpel or go through to the paint. The Xpel itself needed a slight, jagged trim at some edges, but that's it. I'm opting not to repaint anything or replace the Xpel because, for the most part, the visible damage is so minor. Unfortunately there's no option to replace just the deeply scratched lens of the front headlight; the whole light has to go, at a cost of $2,000+.

Point of all this: Xpel saved me and the valet company a fortune. Without it, I'm sure that a lot of damage would have been done to the paint, as it was to the headlight. If you're on the fence, I recommend getting the clear wrap. (I have no affiliation with the product.)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:21 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,187 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Not about XPEL per se, but I'd walk in a mile before I'd turn over any of my high-line cars to a Valet just for that reason.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad to hear you're happy but I'd at least make the valet co replace the film so you can ensure what's underneath is as good as it seems.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

I don't even valet a rental or loaner car.

Something about this story sounds fishy. Why isn't the valet company replacing the clear bra and headlight at the very least?

How's the wheel and alignment?
Old 08-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Wow. You just left the valet off with harsh words?
Old 08-07-2014, 06:31 PM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Why in the hell would you give a car to a punk at valet???
Old 08-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Montesquieu
Advanced

I'm still negotiating with them, but the valet company will end up paying for both the new headlight and detailing work, which will total roughly $2,300. That's my out-of-pocket expense.

I didn't actually discover the damage until I got home later that evening. The valet didn't fess up, but his company did a respectable job of listening to and believing me, confronting the valet, and getting him to admit guilt. They're separately dealing with the valet.

My detailer is also a certified Xpel installer, though not the one who did the original work. He believes the actual paint damage is minimal and the bra still in sufficiently good shape not to replace. One has to look very closely to see the trim on the bra and couple tiny scratches. I can live with them because I'll stop enjoying my car if I obsess about it.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Montesquieu
Advanced

For those asking why I valeted, it's because there were three empty valet spots immediately in front of the restaurant and nothing else off-street nearby. The valet only had to pull forward about 10 feet to safely park the car. I thought, "Not much risk in that." But then the dipsh*t decided to do me a solid and turn the car around while I was eating. That's when he pushed in the clutch and slid into a wall. Even had I parked the car in the spot, he might still have arbitrarily decided to turn it around while I was inside.

Fine, I learned my lesson. But you try explaining to my wife that I can never again valet.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:45 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Montesquieu
I didn't actually discover the damage until I got home later that evening.
This was your second mistake. Always do a walk-around before you depart.

How do you know there's no damage behind the bumper cover?
Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 PM
LexVan
Banned

Fine, I learned my lesson. But you try explaining to my wife that I can never again valet.
Easy 3 Step Process:

1) Drop wife at door
2) Go park
3) Pick up wife at door after dinner

She'll love you for it. Chivalry is not dead! If you're a real romantic, you do the whole open-the-door-thingy each time.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Tip the valet $20. Park car yourself in one of the valet spots. Take key!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Easy 3 Step Process: 1) Drop wife at door 2) Go park 3) Pick up wife at door after dinner She'll love you for it. Chivalry is not dead! If you're a real romantic, you do the whole open-the-door-thingy each time.
+1

My brother was a valet in high school and learned to drive manuals on other people's Porsches and Corvettes. I have the same deal with my wife. She gets curbside service and I get peace of mind.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
+1

My brother was a valet in high school and learned to drive manuals on other people's Porsches and Corvettes. I have the same deal with my wife. She gets curbside service and I get peace of mind.
No more valet service.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:04 PM
coxswain
Racer

For those asking why I valeted, it's because there were three empty valet spots immediately in front of the restaurant and nothing else off-street nearby. The valet only had to pull forward about 10 feet to safely park the car. I thought, "Not much risk in that." But then the dipsh*t decided to do me a solid and turn the car around while I was eating. That's when he pushed in the clutch and slid into a wall. Even had I parked the car in the spot, he might still have arbitrarily decided to turn it around while I was inside.

993 Valet Parking:

Old 08-07-2014, 10:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,120 Posts

I used to be a valet.

I now never valet my cars.

Quick Reply: Xpel prevented serious damage to my car