Sponsored by:

DE for me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:47 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Got back last night. Full write up will be done soon. All I can say for now is, you don't really know what you have until you take your car on the track. WOW!
Another one gets the bug. Sell your golf clubs and your fishing gear. No need for them anymore. Plus, you can use the extra cash for tires, brake pads, gas and DE entry fees.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:25 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm actually thinking about getting a cheaper car for DE
Old 08-18-2014, 07:29 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by jlanka
I'm actually thinking about getting a cheaper car for DE
Oh oh.... He is going racing...

I love taking my 991 to the track, but for many reasons, mostly related to $$, I built a Chump Mustang for racing, and can certainly use it for DE's. It is easier to relax when you have a full cage, HANS device and a car that you don't mind getting a little scuffed up.

Also, because it is a bit slower, it is also a bit "easier" to drive at the limit as things happen a bit more slowly. And you don't go as far when you leave the track..
Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Probably never race but all the reasons you gave applies to DE for me
Old 08-19-2014, 12:49 AM
balaclava
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuck911
Thanks for confirming what I basically said, that calling your insurance company is a BAD IDEA! The very best outcome one can possibly get is they try and sell you unnecessary extra coverage. The worst outcome, what you got, happened only after you told them you are not only using your car on a race track, but instructing with it, which to their ears is tantamount to professional use. People reading your story should bear that in mind.

Another thing people might want to consider is the lack of evidence backing up fear of loss. For all the fear, I have yet to hear of any loss. That's in over a decade of PCA and now three years of RL, not one person stepping up with solid info of a claim not being paid solely because it happened at a PCA Driver Ed event.
Checked all of my GEICO (FL) policy documents, not a fun read. The only exclusion that _might_ be even remotely relevant:

"To any loss caused by the insured in participation and/or preparation for any racing, speed, or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged or organized."

I think it would be really difficult to prove that a PCA-organized DE event is a race as there are no winners. Interesting that they would quickly cancel a policy if they suspect you might go anywhere near the track yet they are reluctant to include an explicit exclusion for all track events - at least in the case of GEICO in FL. Anyway, based on MY policy, spending $600-700 per day for track day insurance does not seem justifiable to ME... YMMV and IANAL, the only lesson here is that if you are in a contract, you might want to read and understand it...
Old 08-19-2014, 06:02 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by balaclava
Checked all of my GEICO (FL) policy documents, not a fun read. The only exclusion that _might_ be even remotely relevant:

"To any loss caused by the insured in participation and/or preparation for any racing, speed, or demolition contest or stunting activity of any nature, whether or not prearranged or organized."

I think it would be really difficult to prove that a PCA-organized DE event is a race as there are no winners. Interesting that they would quickly cancel a policy if they suspect you might go anywhere near the track yet they are reluctant to include an explicit exclusion for all track events - at least in the case of GEICO in FL. Anyway, based on MY policy, spending $600-700 per day for track day insurance does not seem justifiable to ME... YMMV and IANAL, the only lesson here is that if you are in a contract, you might want to read and understand it...
Indeed. And a big secret of the insurance racket is they are so heavily regulated that all policies from all insurers are virtually identical. Anyway, this wording is the reason why groups such as PCA emphasize education (the program itself is called Driver Ed), prohibit timing, discourage even talking about timing, allow passing only in designated sections, and even then only when cooperatively acknowledged by the driver being passed, and basically do everything possible to eliminate any confusion between DE and a "contest" or "stunt".

Wow, first you shattered the break-in myth, now the track insurance scam.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:42 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I also black it out just to reduce the amount of personally identifiable information out there as a matter of due diligence. An example would be if you **** off someone enough on the forums, they could theoretically stir up trouble you. In the "Don't Mess with Texas" litter campaign, you can report people by turning in their license plate number, make, and color of car. It's a stretch that someone would do such a thing, but it's not unheard of (e.g.: swatters).

Here's another place someone could get you listed: http://licenseplatereports.com and https://baddrivers.com. Not a big deal really, but why give someone the latitude to do it.

And most worrying of all: https://recordsfinder.com/plate. It correctly reported the make, model, year of my car and offers to report additional info for a fee.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:29 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

From a Track Junky ,
Welcome to the bug

seems like someone liked thier first DE day

Stick to DE for awhile and when you get better you will get invited to some private track day groups, where the passing rules are more relaxed.
Go a step further and get a spec maita

Its like an entry to fine wine... and can get much more expensive than golf.

The most important thing is driver skill - you will know when its time to upgrade the car.

Quick Reply: DE for me!!!