Sponsored by:

PDCC as a wear item?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 651 Posts
Default PDCC as a wear item?

I did a search and didn't find anything. I'm debating whether to add this to my still-not-frozen PTS C4S order (my September build got moved to November/December) and I'm wondering what happens down the road if it "breaks". Not software glitches as described, but mechanical failures. I suppose it's too new to have failed, but when it does, what is it likely to cost to repair it? And, will it function like any car without it when it goes out before it is "fixed"?
I almost certainly don't need it, but I'm down to "gee, it's only $3K more; should I get it?"
Old 08-01-2014, 10:43 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 418 Posts

At 60K there is a maintenance item listed to replace a reservoir. But don't really know the workings of the system to answer if it will "wear out".

Additional Maintenance every 60,000 miles / 90,000 km or 6 years
❏ Replace PDCC reservoir
Old 08-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
At 60K there is a maintenance item listed to replace a reservoir. But don't really know the workings of the system to answer if it will "wear out".

Additional Maintenance every 60,000 miles / 90,000 km or 6 years
❏ Replace PDCC reservoir
Yes, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I guess it's still pretty new, but they don't seem to failing left and right (other than what seem to be some software threads).
Thanks.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:26 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If I was ordering again I would skip it.
Just because of the maintenance and software glitch worries.
I will say that I like it much more after the last software update.
It seemed to stiff prior to that.
Now it is more transparent.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:24 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

While the software is complicated the mechanism itself is easy to understand. PDCC consists of a hydraulic lifter at each end of a conventional anti-roll bar. Being hydraulic they are more than likely made to last the life of the car. If one does fail the car will be left with the conventional anti-roll bar. In this case, with the lifters no longer working on the ends the car will roll more. In fact it will roll more than a non-PDCC car, because the bar is softer than what is used on a non-PDCC car.

Go search for paradocs posts about PDCC that quits working on the track. These things haven't been around long enough to have much real-world failure history but from everything I've read you are more likely to experience problems like paradocs than maintenance or failure issues. And of course you can cross that one off your list if you won't be tracking it real hard like he does. That leaves you with a feature that provides a better ride AND less roll AND sharper handling (and some also think more even tire wear)- which probably explains why so many of those who have it love it.

If you are in the category of "gee its only $3k more" and your track use will be occasional to moderate then it sounds like a good fit to me.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
While the software is complicated the mechanism itself is easy to understand. PDCC consists of a hydraulic lifter at each end of a conventional anti-roll bar. Being hydraulic they are more than likely made to last the life of the car. If one does fail the car will be left with the conventional anti-roll bar. In this case, with the lifters no longer working on the ends the car will roll more. In fact it will roll more than a non-PDCC car, because the bar is softer than what is used on a non-PDCC car.

Go search for paradocs posts about PDCC that quits working on the track. These things haven't been around long enough to have much real-world failure history but from everything I've read you are more likely to experience problems like paradocs than maintenance or failure issues. And of course you can cross that one off your list if you won't be tracking it real hard like he does. That leaves you with a feature that provides a better ride AND less roll AND sharper handling (and some also think more even tire wear)- which probably explains why so many of those who have it love it.

If you are in the category of "gee its only $3k more" and your track use will be occasional to moderate then it sounds like a good fit to me.
Thanks. Good explanation. It's not that I don't think about spending $3k, but I can't seem to get under $140k anyhow on the build. Planning on keeping the car a while, which is why I'm trying to get a handle on what if any increased costs down the road this option might entail before deciding on it.
I got a PM with a link to a British review from '12 recommending against it. I might flip a coin...
Old 08-02-2014, 10:59 AM
John O'
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get PDCC. I have had a chance to drive both vehicles with and without back-to-back in many situations. The one with PDCC is heads and tails of better driving vehicle.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have PDCC. I'd say it's marginally better. Definitely NOT heads over tails better. I'd get it again but if I had to trim the price it would be first to go. No issues with it but I have low mileage. You do notice less body lean.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:30 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
...because the bar is softer than what is used on a non-PDCC car.
Chuck, semantics question, but the rollbars themselves aren't softer than a non-PDCC car I don't think? Or else the PDCC droplinks would have less to push against, resulting in a softer rollbars at all times compared to a non-PDCC car, no?

What is the fail-safe on a malfunctioning PDCC drop link anyway? The maximum amount of travel / softest setting?

To OP -- perhaps search the Cayenne section? PDCC has been available there longer and so has more years of data.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:18 PM
bajowett
1st Gear

Hey guys, first post here.

I've been playing w/ active sway bar systems on Toyota Land Cruisers for some years now. Like the 991, they are a hydraulic system comprised of cylinders, valves, seals, etc. Obviously, usage will play a huge roll in how long things last... IMO, it would be unlikely to have a catastrophic failure of the system... it would be more probable for something to begin seeping or leaking, like a worn shock absorber/damper would. I have plenty of info on some of these systems, including history, servicing, etc. How much applies to the PDCC? Hard to say, but some is likely to apply and I'll be happy to share.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:52 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you order PDCC with SPASM ? I love the look of the SPASM but prefer a softer ride. I currently have a 2007 C4S and it does ride stiff over rough pavement in normal PASM.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:59 PM
rustish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in Talent
Would you order PDCC with SPASM ? I love the look of the SPASM but prefer a softer ride. I currently have a 2007 C4S and it does ride stiff over rough pavement in normal PASM.
If you prefer a softer ride, SPASM is not the way to go. I like a firm ride and was pleasantly surprised how firm it was. Feels like a sports car.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have spasm and PDCC. The PDCC gives a softer ride over bumps. I had spasm on my 997.2 and the 991 with spasm and PDCC is definitely a smoother ride. I'm very happy with the look/ride.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PDCC makes your car normally 10mm lower so ramps and bumps can be an issue. Also, it requires a hydraulic pump. Now this pump runs off the engine serpentine belt just like the old power steering pump so it sucks away fuel efficiency. This is why Porsche moved to electric steering in the first place. You can take it from there.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:34 PM
DKC64
Advanced

Originally Posted by Key Left
PDCC makes your car normally 10mm lower
PDCC does not make your car lower.

Compared to base:
PASM is -10mm (standard on S)
SPASM is -20mm
PDCC no effect.

Quick Reply: PDCC as a wear item?