Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono - what does it actually do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014 | 09:56 PM
uhear
Rennlist Member

Default Sport Chrono - what does it actually do?

I have a 2013 PCS w PSE. In it I have the Chrono feature and have no freaking clue how to work it or what it actually does.

Yes I did a forum search and still have no clue. Even Googled it and YouTubed it and still no clue.

Help
Old 07-31-2014 | 10:22 PM
uhear
Rennlist Member

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...era/vid/52-86/
Old 07-31-2014 | 11:42 PM
djlynch
Pro

One of the features is the Sport Plus button which turns the car into an awesome beast. Higher shift points etc. The full sport chrono option includes dynamic engine mounts among many other things.

Also you get Launch Control (if you have PDK) with Sport Plus and Sport Chrono and the Dash Clock.

It is a separate and distinct option from PSE.
Old 08-01-2014 | 12:30 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

I think the dynamic engine mounts also come on to a lesser degree in sport.
Old 08-01-2014 | 02:57 AM
DKC64
Advanced

Well the Dynamic Engine Mounts are "on" all the time from AFAIK. In "normal", "sport" and "sport plus" it will probably has a different preset and range of adjustment, but still constantly adjusting depending on car input.
Old 08-01-2014 | 04:07 AM
chuck911
Race Car

The biggest difference you'll notice is between your car and one without Sport Chrono. That's because a main feature of SC, dynamic motor mounts, is always "on". So a SC car will always have crisper throttle response and more precise handling simply due to the dynamic mounts eliminating a lot of engine rotation and lateral movement inherent in the rubber mounts of a non-SC equipped car.
Old 08-01-2014 | 07:08 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
The biggest difference you'll notice is between your car and one without Sport Chrono. That's because a main feature of SC, dynamic motor mounts, is always "on". So a SC car will always have crisper throttle response and more precise handling simply due to the dynamic mounts eliminating a lot of engine rotation and lateral movement inherent in the rubber mounts of a non-SC equipped car.
I didn't realise it was on all the time... I thought it was only active during sport plus mode... Good to know!
Old 08-01-2014 | 10:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

The interplay between Sport Chrono and the PSM (Porsche Stability Management) is also key. When in Sport or Sport Plus modes, the PSM will engauge at different (higher) threshold levels, allowing more driver input.
Old 08-01-2014 | 10:50 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

uhear, I've struggled with SportChrono as well. I think it's an $1800 option on S models and is probably included in near-100% of dealer-stocked cars and over 95% of ordered cars. It feels like it's heresy to question SportChrono, but I've found it hard to get a direct answer to your question. Here's what I understand you get for your $1800.

- Higher shift points on PDK models (doesn't matter to me since I'm an MT guy)
- Launch Control on PDK models (ditto re MT)
- Rev matching/engine blip when down-shifting MT cars in Sport Plus mode (fun sound, but I'm not sure what else)
- Lap timer on dashboard (unbelievably un-Porsche, boy-racer feature imo)
- Dynamic engine mounts (useful I'm sure, but I question its real world utility in a light-weight, low center of gravity car)
- Firmer damper setting in Sport Plus mode (I like that)
- Higher threshold level for stability management system in Sport Plus mode (I like that too)
- Enhanced throttle response in Sport Plus mode (I think this is a very good feature)

LexVan and other more knowledgeable members - have I missed anything?

uhear - for MT-equipped cars especially, I question the value of this $1800 option. But maybe it's reasonably priced as Porsche options go. Also, although I don't believe in spec'ing cars for the next driver, I do worry that resale value will take a hit on non-SportChrono cars since it is on almost all of them. In short, I'm confused as well.

Last edited by hinckley; 08-01-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-01-2014 | 11:10 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by hinckley
uhear, I've struggled with SportChrono as well. I think it's an $1800 option on S models and is probably included in near-100% of dealer-stocked cars and over 95% of ordered cars. It feels like it's heresy to question SportChrono, but I've found it hard to get a direct answer to your question. Here's what I understand you get for your $1800.

- Higher shift points on PDK models (doesn't matter to me since I'm an MT guy)
Hinckley, it does matter with us MT guys, because Sport Chrono also has a "harder" redline. Meaning, the car will not start pulling timing, spark, and fuel prior to redline. In sport/sport plus, you get to go right to the edge, and then there's an abrupt end.
Old 08-01-2014 | 11:33 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LexVan
Hinckley, it does matter with us MT guys, because Sport Chrono also has a "harder" redline. Meaning, the car will not start pulling timing, spark, and fuel prior to redline. In sport/sport plus, you get to go right to the edge, and then there's an abrupt end.
I didn't know that. Is that in Sport Plus mode only? How does the car react when approaching redline in non-Sport Plus mode or non-Sport Chrono cars?
Old 08-01-2014 | 11:42 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by hinckley
I didn't know that. Is that in Sport Plus mode only? How does the car react when approaching redline in non-Sport Plus mode or non-Sport Chrono cars?
Both. I don't think you'd notice. It just allows you to extract the last few hundred RPM. Silly, really. But noted.
Old 08-01-2014 | 01:31 PM
RIndy
Advanced

The shifts are also much more aggressive in sport plus. Is this bc the shift interval shorter?
Old 08-01-2014 | 01:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by RIndy
The shifts are also much more aggressive in sport plus. Is this bc the shift interval shorter?
Because the shifts are done at redline or near redline. Observe your tach.
Old 08-01-2014 | 02:15 PM
maxpowers
Pro

The sport chrono was a dealer killer for me. I really dislike a giant stopwatch in the middle of the dash and love the clean look of cars without it.

I shift when I want to shift so don't care about anything with the automatic.

The dynamic engine mounts and recording additional info might be interesting as was the rev matching downshifts, but I couldn't stand the sight of the clock.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono - what does it actually do?