Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do the city slickers wash their cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 05:15 PM
ymg91150
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where do the city slickers wash their cars?

I found three possibilities so far to wash my anniversary model – none of which seem to please its paint. The problem: I live in the middle of a city in an apartment building. All expensive cars in the neighborhood park outdoor (F-Type) or in these – sorry, don't know what they are called in english – shared subterranean garages where you can only rent or buy an area (FF, 612, eg.). My cars should be more than happy to reside in tiny, private garages in our house. But they can't get washed on the premises. If there is a risk that oil can get into the groundwater, it is illegal to wash the car around here. I respect that.

So far I went to a car wash, which is near and considered the most modern in Europe. This was just fine until i became a 911 owner. The paint has gotten more and more swirls, which is not easy for me to accept. So I go whenever possible in a wash bay, where I can wash the car with a pressure washer. It takes me 20 minutes to get there and buckets and washmitts are totally verboten, (as you only pay while using the pressure washer). That means, it takes an hour and the car is not well prepared to clay it.

Having it hand washed regularly by a professional is not feasible for me, too expensive, too complicated, not available when I have time and the car needs a treat.

Does anyone of you has an idea how I can wash my car appropriate? Do the city slickers among you face the same difficulties? Where do they wash their cars?

Last edited by ymg91150; 07-16-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:23 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In my area many of the indoor parking lots have a hand wash car wash. Many people leave their keys with the attendant when the go to work.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:31 PM
TrackFan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be a city slicker.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

That sucks. I live in the 4th largest city in the US and I wash mine in my driveway.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:36 PM
aml161
Intermediate

When I lived in a downtown condo situation, this was convenient: http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

It takes 15 minutes to wash the car with a bucket, a container of water, a mitt and a towel. It's not ideal but it gives you better results than a high powered sprayer.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ymg91150
I found three possibilities so far to wash my anniversary model – none of which seem to please its paint. The problem: I live in the middle of a city in an apartment building. All expensive cars in the neighborhood park outdoor (F-Type) or in these – sorry, don't know what they are called in english – shared subterranean garages where you can only rent or buy an area (FF, 612, eg.). My cars should be more than happy to reside in tiny, private garages in our house. But it can't get washed on the premises. If there is a risk that oil can get into the groundwater, it is illegal to wash the car around here. I respect that.

So far I went to a car wash, which is near and considered the most modern in Europe. This was just fine until i became a 911 owner. The paint has gotten more and more swirls, which is not easy for me to accept. So I go whenever possible in a wash bay, where I can wash the car with a pressure washer. It takes me 20 minutes to get there and buckets and washmitts are totally verboten, (as you only pay while using the pressure washer). That means, it takes an hour and the car is not well prepared to to clay it.

To let it hand wash regularly by a professional is not feasible for me, too expensive, too complicated, not available when I have time and the car needs a treat.

Does anyone of you has an idea how I can wash my car appropriate? Do the city slickers among you face the same difficulties? Where do they wash their cars?
Three ideas:

1. So tape (or whatever) the pressure washer to keep it running while you hand wash.

2. Use Griot's Spray On Car Wash. http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...h+35+ounces.do This is kind of a backup thing I've done on road trips where you're stuck with limited options. With the right technique you can get surprisingly good results- almost as good as a real wash. The trick is to use very soft towels, folded to eliminate pressure points, and take an incremental approach. First pass should be very light, extremely light, almost no pressure, going in straight parallel lines one direction only with one hand pulling the leading edge while the other holds the towel gently against the paint. Slowly raise the leading edge as you go along so that you are always lifting the dirty leading edge away from the paint. Fold to a clean section of towel after each pass. When you've partially cleaned one area (roof, door, hood) this way it will be safe to hit it again with the same thing only now that most of the dirt is gone you'll be able to safely use a little more pressure.

Being Switzerland you'll probably want to put a painters drop cloth down first so they don't write you a ticket for drips.

3. Ask Suzy.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:15 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2 buckets technique or drive out side the city center.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:43 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,989 Likes on 5,227 Posts

This may or may not help your situation, but might I suggest you look into synthetic coatings for your car, such CQuartz or Opti-Coat?

I have Opti-Coat on my car, and I can go as long as a couple of months without washing the car without obvious visual signs of dirty or exterior grime (granted, I park indoors and do not live in an area with very much inclement weather)

Short of that, maybe you can just learn to enjoy a somewhat "lived-in" car exterior?
Old 07-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Living in the city of Chicago its an issue. However, I've found that many of the parking garages in the city are happy to let you use their water hose for $20 tip. BYOB (bring your own bucket)
Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you drive to the suburbs instead? Excuse to road trip.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:28 AM
pvr
Instructor

That rule makes no sense as if your car leaks oil, it gets in the ground water. If it rains, it runs in the ground water. So what is the difference with washing it?

I am afraid the love for the car goes above the love for the law ...

To answer the question, I would drive to a location where you can use a hose and wash it there. i use the one in Bulle when I am there.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 AM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by aml161
When I lived in a downtown condo situation, this was convenient: http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

It takes 15 minutes to wash the car with a bucket, a container of water, a mitt and a towel. It's not ideal but it gives you better results than a high powered sprayer.
This. I live in an apartment in NYC and don't have hose access in my garage for washes.

I've used ONR on my last two cars for nearly 7 years total and I really like the product.

Is it better than a traditional hose and two-bucket method wash if you can do one? Absolutely not, but it is a viable alternative that will let you have a clean car in great shape.

ONR scares a lot of people because it seems very harsh to the paint. If done correctly / carefully it can be totally fine. Any minor marring that it leaves can be fixed back to perfect with a polish / detail once or twice a year.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:48 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 I used to used this when i live in the city
Old 07-17-2014, 06:58 PM
ymg91150
Instructor

Thanks for all the helpful comments. Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
Living in the city of Chicago its an issue. However, I've found that many of the parking garages in the city are happy to let you use their water hose for $20 tip. BYOB (bring your own bucket)
Great idea! Will try to find one tomorrow!

Originally Posted by Grunty
Can you drive to the suburbs instead? Excuse to road trip.
And a good reason to visit friends! But I would still have to find a decent place with a hose where I don't risk to get a fine.
Uh, that is scary, but if the above fail, I'll try.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Short of that, maybe you can just learn to enjoy a somewhat "lived-in" car exterior?
Hard to accept, but if everything else fails, this is going to be the way. As much as I dig a flawless paint, I prefer my apartment and its location!

Originally Posted by chuck911
3. Ask Suzy.
Just wondering, is she still around? Have not read a post from her for quite some time!

Cheers!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:49 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Originally Posted by ymg91150
So I go whenever possible in a wash bay, where I can wash the car with a pressure washer. It takes me 20 minutes to get there and buckets and washmitts are totally verboten...
Every city I've lived (USA), buckets and washmitts are verboten also, though probably not as verboten as SUI. I do it anyway. Took a few tries to get over the verboten, but now couldn't care less what they think of me. In fact, if the owner/manager has a problem, let him/her come to my face and we'll discuss. As for other customers, they should mind their own business.

Incidentally, I flew into Zurich once, and almost every car I saw was dark Mercedes. I wonder where they all get washed?

Quick Reply: Where do the city slickers wash their cars?