Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual transmission clutch 'feel'

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 01:53 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=BlackBeauty;11560032]I understand your dilemma and you'll have no problem, it's much easier to shift than the 993 and you won't get tired. While Porsche designed the transmission it's made in Japan by Aisin which is the largest transmission manufacturer in the world.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._transmissions

I agree with Money, I had an S2000 also and that was the best transmission I ever drove, my '14 991 C2S however is fantastic. I've had a 987 Boxster, a 985 Cayenne manual and a 997.1 C2S Cab - the 991's box is by far the best and easiest of those IMHO.

A British journalist said it best when talking about a 964 and I'm going to borrow that statement and apply it to knowing what you want and truly enjoying it...

The story you quote from only indicates the Porsche 6 speed manual is made by Aisin, not 991 transmissions. I believe they are made by ZF.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:17 PM
RFMASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
+1, mostly.

I've had a 993 as well as everything in-between. The clutch pedal on the 993 is of course configured differently than all of its successors, so that will be the biggest difference. I think the clutch effort is a bit higher on the 993 than on the 991. The 991 shifter has gotten better as I've put more miles on it. As Keadog mentioned, the 981S is the supreme example. I had one for a week (service loaner) and just loved it. Not enough to give up my 911, but when time comes to replace it, it's going to be a difficult decision.

You will not be disappointed in the 991.

Are you keeping the 993 or selling it? Prices have gotten beyond ridiculous - you are probably at the peak of the market right now if you decide to part with it.
Keeping the 993. It's in excellent condition body and mechanics. Won a second place award at last years national St. John's concours d'elegance (formally Meadow Brook) here in Michigan.

Quick Reply: Manual transmission clutch 'feel'