Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a multi-function wheel be switched to a sport design wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 12:11 PM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Can a multi-function wheel be switched to a sport design wheel?

So I finally pulled the trigger on a certified C2S which has the multi-function wheel. I was under the impression that it could be swapped for a sport design wheel for about $1000-1500 but this particular dealer in Texas is saying that it's not possible due to a wiring issue. What's the real story? For those members with the multi-function wheel are you satisfied with your current set up? Thanks! 😊
Old 07-05-2014, 12:50 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I love my MF wheel but not everyone does. I am constantly changing radio stations/volume/CD. It is a huge convenience to me(phone as well). Also, i had to have the heated steering wheel which is only available with MF wheel. Lastly, I rarely use my toggles....sport mode and let the computer do the work. If your favorite station is your exhaust system and you like to manually shift then sport design is the way to go.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:33 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Porsche offers the sport design steering wheel as an after-market accessory, so I don't understand why it can't be installed after market.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Cal911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
If your favorite station is your exhaust system and you like to manually shift then sport design is the way to go.
Well said. I replaced my multi function with a sport design because I love the paddle shifters and use them all the time. Bought it online and my dealer install took about 40 minutes. No problem with the swap
Old 07-05-2014, 03:39 PM
DallasDave
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The paddles definitely changes the driver's connection with the car. Dealer charged me $100 to install on my .2. What Texas dealer are you talking with? Call John at Porsche Plano.

Good luck -
Dave in Dallas
Old 07-05-2014, 04:04 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Also, i had to have the heated steering wheel which is only available with MF wheel.
The standard wheel is also available with heat. Same price.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

On the Canadian configurator when you check off heated steering wheel it automatically makes you choose the MF wheel. Maybe different in the states or MY 2015. Or maybe the base steering wheel wasn't available on the 911/50.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:08 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoshuaKM1
So I finally pulled the trigger on a certified C2S which has the multi-function wheel. I was under the impression that it could be swapped for a sport design wheel for about $1000-1500 but this particular dealer in Texas is saying that it's not possible due to a wiring issue. What's the real story? For those members with the multi-function wheel are you satisfied with your current set up? Thanks! 😊
I have the sport design wheel and I like it. That being said I think I would wait until the first service to change it because you may grow to like it and it is already there.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:32 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Thats dealer Bullshirt, its an easy swap, you just need to buy the stalk.
I replaced mine and what an upgrade it was!
Old 07-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Galion, you have perked my interest. It's just a steering wheel. What is it about the sport design steering wheel that you find makes it a big upgrade? It's really a preference more than anything. X-51 is a big upgrade.....steering wheel very small potatoes. Just wondering. And I agree with above post. Don't change it on day 1 unless the dealer is doing it for free. You might be surprised on what YOU prefer. As ALWAYS on Rennlist everyone will sway you to what THEY have. Believe no one. Try it yourself.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Galion
Pro

Galion, you have perked my interest. It's just a steering wheel. What is it about the sport design steering wheel that you find makes it a big upgrade? It's really a preference more than anything. X-51 is a big upgrade.....steering wheel very small potatoes. Just wondering. And I agree with above post. Don't change it on day 1 unless the dealer is doing it for free. You might be surprised on what YOU prefer. As ALWAYS on Rennlist everyone will sway you to what THEY have. Believe no one. Try it yourself.
Bacura, besides the sportier look which I love (of course thats subjective) with PDK, the paddles are more intuitive and user friendly, driving in Sport + with paddles is the closest thing to an F1 race car :-) other than that, when pulling both paddles at the same time you go to neutral on any mode, that is a great feature when driving on manual, you cant do that with the MF or STD wheel buttons.
I can still control all the PCM functions with the side stalk (except volume) without taking my hands off the wheel.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Cal911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you Galion...big upgrade. Hated shifting with the buttons and much prefer shifting with the paddles. I couldn't swap it out fast enough. Suncoast has them online for around a grand I think.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:53 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Well there you go. I never use manual and almost never use the toggles. Thats why its preference and nothing more. The paddles make you"feel" like you are driving an F1 car. I'll bet you the computer is smarter,,,,,,,therefore a subjective benefit. On a cold Canadian morning that warmer is subjectively wonderful. Personal preference. No measurable benefit. So X-51/pccb/spasm are upgrades. Steering wheels are personal preferences like sunroofs and side mirrors.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Galion
Pro

Well there you go. I never use manual and almost never use the toggles. Thats why its preference and nothing more. The paddles make you"feel" like you are driving an F1 car. I'll bet you the computer is smarter,,,,,,,therefore a subjective benefit. On a cold Canadian morning that warmer is subjectively wonderful. Personal preference. No measurable benefit. So X-51/pccb/spasm are upgrades. Steering wheels are personal preferences like sunroofs and side mirrors.
Oh you are missing the fun part of PDK! ;-)
Old 07-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

You might be right. O to be young again. The important thing is just enjoy your 911 to the fullest.

Quick Reply: Can a multi-function wheel be switched to a sport design wheel?