Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a multi-function wheel be switched to a sport design wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:18 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think there is a mental attachment to having the faster car, it doesn't mean you use it -same as most don't use the launch or flat out the max speed or need ceramics etc. Apart from that the option of having both Auto & paddle manual might appeal to some, but again it doesn't mean you use it though.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Tor Atle Lunde
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/991SD.html

"Fits the following models:

All Carrera models - 2012 or newer
All Cayman models - 2013 or newer
All Boxster models - 2013 or newer

Important Notes: VIN number required to order. If your car currently has heating or multifunction, you will lose those options and dealer installation and programming will be required to add this steering wheel. Multifunction controls will now be controlled by a new stalk on the steering column. If your car doesn't have steering wheel heating or multifunction, then this will be a steering wheel swap only. Airbag is not included, you can reuse your existing airbag. Available for cars with PDK or 7-Speed manual transmissions."
Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,605 Likes on 2,344 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
Bacura, besides the sportier look which I love (of course thats subjective) with PDK, the paddles are more intuitive and user friendly, driving in Sport + with paddles is the closest thing to an F1 race car :-) other than that, when pulling both paddles at the same time you go to neutral on any mode, that is a great feature when driving on manual, you cant do that with the MF or STD wheel buttons.
I can still control all the PCM functions with the side stalk (except volume) without taking my hands off the wheel.
+1 no way I would spec a PDk car w/o SD wheel & paddles ... the **** buttons on the 'regular' wheel just dont cut it for me...
Old 07-07-2014, 04:01 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didnt read the entire thread but to answer the OP's question yes its doable but not cheap. You need to get stalk, steering wheel casing, and wiring, in addition to the steering wheel of course . When I looked a couple of years ago it was around $2000-2500. Not worth it IMO. However I'd get this wheel to fit:
Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2014, 02:36 PM
pkumar
Intermediate

I just went from heated multifunction pdk steering wheel to alcantara

I have been driving too many Porsches and the Sport Design Steering wheel psychologically feels quicker than the Multi-Function steering wheel.* Not to mention that the paddles makes downshifting while flying into a corner so easy and fun.* Just feels fantastic.

I went with the Alcantara Sport Design Steering wheel. I have had alcantara before and it is a pain in the ***, but purchased some alcantara cleaner from Phil over at Detailers Domain.

Since the removal of the multifunction steering wheel eliminates the volume controls as well as the controls to the TFT screen, I had to get the stalk that fits under the windshield wiper stalk. This is not a simple plug and play. I had to buy an entire new steering column switch. It was a round bracket that had the control stalks for cruise control, turn signal, wiper control, as well as the stalk that controls the TFT screen.

That part # is 970613043501E0

Once installed, the steering wheel also has to be reprogrammed, to turn off the multifunction feature, the heated element, and has to be coded to display sport/sport plus/launch control.

Overall, I am in love.* The sport design wheel completely changes the car and makes it so much more fun to drive!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 AM
dr.alexs
Instructor

When I was looking for a car I went through the same debate and looked into this closely. I think Tor Atle Lunde and Kosmo have given you the best answers.
The truth is, yes it can be done, but for a high price. The basic problem is that there is a stalk that controls your in dash PCM screen when you have the SD steering wheel. With the MF steering wheel, the stalk is eliminated because the in dash PCM screen is controlled by the buttons on your steering wheel. To swap the steering wheel, you don't just pop out the airbag and unbolt the old wheel and put in the new one, you actually have to wire in a new stalk and replace part of the steering column housing. Then, once it's all back together, you have to reprogram the PCM to accept input from the stalk, rather than the steering wheel.
If you have the plain steering wheel (non MF, non SD) you can easily do the switch because you have the stalk with the basic steering wheel, and so all that happens is that you go from buttons/slide switches to paddles...no big deal.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:02 AM
Marcoboxer
3rd Gear

Does anyone have the correct parts numbers for the stalk and steering hub cover? I have the steering wheel and understand the requirement for reprogramming.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:55 PM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So, I have the standard steering wheel and would prefer multifunction. Is this move even possible?

That would mean I would have left over stalk and steering column pieces so I'd be up for a trade or have those bits to sell.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:23 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by zx5go
So, I have the standard steering wheel and would prefer multifunction. Is this move even possible?

That would mean I would have left over stalk and steering column pieces so I'd be up for a trade or have those bits to sell.
Some salient points --

1) Reportedly, your wiring harness was custom-made for your particular car's options. If that's true, it's possible to go from MF to standard or SD, but not from standard/SD to MF.

2) For those debating the eternal buttons-versus-paddles question: A lot of the hate for the MF buttons comes from people who accidentally hit them during their test drive. That's extremely annoying but after a few thousand miles, your muscle memory will probably keep it from ever happening again. Don't use this as a basis for deciding.

3) When contemplating a passing maneuver or an upcoming curve, it's nice to be able to select manual mode and get into the gear you want ahead of time. PDK shifts smoothly and quickly, but those of us who've driven manuals for a long time will never be 100% comfortable with stomping on the gas pedal at 1800 RPM when a passing opportunity finally opens up. That's the only time I really shift my car manually... but when I want to, it's a very good thing that I can. If this is typical of your use case, you will probably be perfectly happy with the buttons. OTOH if you think you'll spend most of your time in manual, the paddles may be a better fit for you.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:24 AM
Marcoboxer
3rd Gear

I'd be happy to do a trade. My MFC is tan, not sure if that's the particular color you'd want.

As for the compatibility, I can't answer that question. Seems odd that every vehicle would have a custom loom. I know from experience that fitting the SD ducktail was not as complex as some would have us believe...mainly due to standard loom fittings.

Rgds

Mark
Old 06-09-2016, 11:06 AM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcoboxer
I'd be happy to do a trade. My MFC is tan, not sure if that's the particular color you'd want.

As for the compatibility, I can't answer that question. Seems odd that every vehicle would have a custom loom. I know from experience that fitting the SD ducktail was not as complex as some would have us believe...mainly due to standard loom fittings.

Rgds

Mark
If removing the MF means adding the stalk then it seems the wiring connector from the MF plugs into the stalk. If that is true the reverse would be true (connector from stalk to MF). I guess if someone is willing to take their airbag out of their MF and see what the connectors look like I could do the same on mine down to the stalk...unless someone already has this info.

By the way, my interior is luxor beige so I would be looking for the beige MF wheel. Why is it Suncoast doesn't carry the alcantara accessories in beige?
Old 06-09-2016, 11:16 AM
Marcoboxer
3rd Gear

If you'd like to pm me you email address. I'm sure we can figure this out with pictures/skype. I'm happy to disassemble at my end so we can look at the connectors. I believe mine is Luxor.

Rgds

Mark
Old 06-21-2016, 11:35 PM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subscribed

Please keep everyone posted. I'm sure many are interested.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:02 PM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I’m trying to get clarification on one point. Can I swap out a MF wheel for a sport design wheel and NOT add a column stalk? I don’t care about losing the functions on the MF wheel but I do want the paddles on the sport design to work.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:06 PM
sp00nfedem1
Track Day

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BGA23
I know this is an old thread but I’m trying to get clarification on one point. Can I swap out a MF wheel for a sport design wheel and NOT add a column stalk? I don’t care about losing the functions on the MF wheel but I do want the paddles on the sport design to work.
Were you able to do it?

Quick Reply: Can a multi-function wheel be switched to a sport design wheel?