Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a multi-function wheel be switched to a sport design wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 10:39 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal911
I'm with you Galion...big upgrade. Hated shifting with the buttons and much prefer shifting with the paddles. I couldn't swap it out fast enough. Suncoast has them online for around a grand I think.
Can we install the steering paddles by ourselves or require dealer install (code etc)?

PF
Old 07-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
Can we install the steering paddles by ourselves or require dealer install (code etc)?

PF
A few people reported on this and other forums that it was a plug & play swap, In my case I needed a reprogram via PWIS.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:51 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
On the Canadian configurator when you check off heated steering wheel it automatically makes you choose the MF wheel. Maybe different in the states or MY 2015. Or maybe the base steering wheel wasn't available on the 911/50.
Hmmm. My 2012 991 has a heated regular wheel. Must be a Canadian market thing.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can not do heated on SportsDesign steering wheel but you can on a MF S/wheel and by the sound of it on a standard S/wheel (according to studgarden) however standard steering wheel was not an option on 50th.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:34 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my MF wheel but not everyone does. I am constantly changing radio stations/volume/CD. It is a huge convenience to me(phone as well). Also, i had to have the heated steering wheel which is only available with MF wheel. Lastly, I rarely use my toggles....sport mode and let the computer do the work. If your favorite station is your exhaust system and you like to manually shift then sport design is the way to go.
I have the multifunction wheel for the reasons you mentioned and love to manually shift. That's why I bought a manual transmission for a sports car.

If manually shifting is important why did you spend $4,000 extra to get a sequential shift automatic using a DCT? As the OP said, just put it in auto and let the car do everything. I don't understand why you'd pay for a system to shift for you then get in the way with paddles?
Old 07-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal911
Well said. I replaced my multi function with a sport design because I love the paddle shifters and use them all the time. Bought it online and my dealer install took about 40 minutes. No problem with the swap
Where did you find it online?
Old 07-06-2014, 03:35 PM
Cal911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might be right. O to be young again. The important thing is just enjoy your 911 to the fullest.
We are!! The question is...are you?
Old 07-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am indeed enjoying it. I see no reason to shift slower than the computer. 2 hands on the wheel and let her rip. As Max said, I got out of MT (of which I had many) because I don't enjoy shifting anymore. If I wanted to shift, I would have purchased a MT car. To me the 911/50 is a GT car. I love ALL the convenience stuff and ALL the performance stuff. Thats why I ticked almost every single box and I love it. I think it was the most expensive non-turbo they ever sold. I enjoy every one of those ticks.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Galion
Pro

^We all enjoy in our own way, 991 comes in multiple flavors, thats the beauty of this thing.
In my case, PDK manual shifting for fun, PDK auto shifting for daily conmmuting.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:17 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
... when pulling both paddles at the same time you go to neutral on any mode, that is a great feature when driving on manual, you cant do that with the MF or STD wheel buttons. ...
Does anyone know, if you install the TechArt paddles on the MF wheel, do you still not gain this function?
Old 07-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by apias
Does anyone know, if you install the TechArt paddles on the MF wheel, do you still not gain this function?
No, you don't. TechArt paddles are only an extension for the buttons.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Cal911
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
^We all enjoy in our own way, 991 comes in multiple flavors, thats the beauty of this thing.
In my case, PDK manual shifting for fun, PDK auto shifting for daily conmmuting.
I guess thats the thing. No daily commute and I live in LA where you have few chances to ring it out. Although I didn't start out this way..I now leave the house with it in sport+ and return the same way...shifting up and down along the way. Not a total DD so when I'm in it I like the revs higher and love the sound of the motor up and down in the rev band. Thats just me.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:45 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I am indeed enjoying it. I see no reason to shift slower than the computer. 2 hands on the wheel and let her rip. As Max said, I got out of MT (of which I had many) because I don't enjoy shifting anymore. If I wanted to shift, I would have purchased a MT car. To me the 911/50 is a GT car. I love ALL the convenience stuff and ALL the performance stuff. Thats why I ticked almost every single box and I love it. I think it was the most expensive non-turbo they ever sold. I enjoy every one of those ticks.
This is what I do not understand about some PDK enthusiasts. They buy PDK because it is faster than MT. But then they use the toggles or paddles so they can shift themselves, which is slower than the computer. I have test-driven many PDK pcars and will likely own one one day. If and when I do, I will take advantage of the speed PDK provides, which to me, means allowing the computer/copilot to shift.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:53 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
This is what I do not understand about some PDK enthusiasts. They buy PDK because it is faster than MT. But then they use the toggles or paddles so they can shift themselves, which is slower than the computer. I have test-driven many PDK pcars and will likely own one one day. If and when I do, I will take advantage of the speed PDK provides, which to me, means allowing the computer/copilot to shift.
Inorite. The worst are the reviewers that turn everything off just so they can drift then shift themselves while trying to nail down lap times within a hundredth of a second. Pffft.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:00 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I've never understood the whole drifting thing. Why do we see so much of that in car reviews? Is that just to look cool? I guess I just don't understand how that is good driving.

Back to MF/SD, I have had the Sport Design wheel on both of my 991s. I like the way it looks better. But I can certainly see how some would prefer the conveniences of the multi-function steering wheel.

Last edited by FORENN; 07-07-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Can a multi-function wheel be switched to a sport design wheel?