Sponsored by:

Installed a SprintBooster in my C4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 10:59 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
You could fit a mechanical stopper behind the pedal, like a rubber bit fixed on walls (or floors) to avoid door banging the wall.
I think you're thinking of something else, like the kickdown button. What the Sprint does, let's say without Sprint with the pedal halfway to the floor you get 50% of full throttle. Its actually less than that, but nevermind. Then all the way down you get full throttle. Well with Sprint, with the pedal halfway to the floor you get 60% of full throttle. So more throttle for the same pedal travel. Makes the car feel more responsive. But then you get full throttle when the pedal is only at say 90%. Pushing the pedal all the way to the floor won't do a thing, Sprint was giving you full throttle already.

The factory settings (Sport, Sport Plus) actually do the same thing, only in a more sophisticated fashion so that you still have throttle control over the full pedal travel.

I got a Scuttlebutt Belgian Tripel 7 for anyone able to explain "more sophisticated fashion."
Old 06-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911

The factory settings (Sport, Sport Plus) actually do the same thing, only in a more sophisticated fashion so that you still have throttle control over the full pedal travel.
Chuck, can you explain why with the SB activated, theres still a peceivable difference on how the car reacts on each mode? (std, sport, sport +)
Old 06-29-2014, 01:06 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
Chuck, can you explain why with the SB activated, theres still a peceivable difference on how the car reacts on each mode? (std, sport, sport +)
Sure. All SB does is feed the car a greater pedal movement than actually takes place. Its like, you move the pedal 5 degrees but SB tells the car the pedal moved 6 degrees. That's it. Now when you change from Normal to Sport, or Sport to Sport Plus, it does pretty much the same thing. So with SB you get the accelerated feed amplified by the accelerated Sport or Sport Plus mapping on top of it.

There's still more going on by the way. If every tiny little gas pedal movement translated into throttle input then all the little vibrations from the road or your twitchy foot would result in lower mileage. So Porsche builds in filters. SB doesn't affect any of that either. Still, by making the system think the pedal has moved more than it actually has, it will tend to defeat these filters. Part of the reason they say you may notice lower mileage. The other part being of course being the previously mentioned twitchy foot. But I believe it says on their website they haven't been getting feedback about lower mileage. This may be that buyers aren't that focused on mileage. Or it may be that they just learn to be more judicious with the throttle. I'd like to think its the latter.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand how it works but what I was referring to was to put a stopper behind the pedal so as to shorten its travel to 90% (or wherever you reach max). So the mechanical max travel is reached at the same point as max throttle, then it's just a case of getting used to the the shorter travel.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:07 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
Need for Sprint booster - fail
need to say need for a Sprint booster fail - fail
Old 06-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Galion
Pro

^^I find amazing that people that don’t own it seem to have the negative feedback and thats just plain weird..LOL
If anyone shows me one bad review of someone that actually installed a SB in his car, Ill give away two of Chuck's Scuttlebutt Belgian Tripel 7
Old 06-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Sask997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it be possible to simply change the sensitivity of the potentiometer that controls the throttle using PIWIS or Durametrics?
Old 06-29-2014, 05:27 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Need for Sprint booster - fail
I'm with zohan. Why the hell do you need a more aggressive throttle map for ? Less control ?
Old 06-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is not broken don't fok with it
And it will affect your warranty
Old 06-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by bccars
I'm with zohan. Why the hell do you need a more aggressive throttle map for ? Less control ?
Because the car feels more responsive hence more control. Love it!
I wish Id know before about the SB when I had a base 991, Damn! I'd would have kept that car.

If it is not broken don't fok with it
And it will affect your warranty
Nope, no warranty issues, the P service guy said that as long as I dont touch the ECM we were ok. They even help me with the install.

I am curious...are you the guy in your avatar??
Old 06-29-2014, 09:32 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am curious...are you the guy in your avatar??
No, His name is Kenny Hotz of Kenny vs Spenny

Last edited by Zohan; 06-29-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:26 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Because the car feels more responsive hence more control. Love it!
Have you driven it like that in anger on a soaking wet twisty mountain road ?

Last edited by bccars; 06-30-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by bccars
Have you driving it like that in anger on a soaking wet twisty mountain road ?
I have a 4S
Old 06-30-2014, 01:38 PM
DKC64
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Sprint Booster in my Mini Cooper before. That was definitely needed as the 1.6L petrol engine had a very bad lag with the throttle response. The sprint booster made it better.

Haven't really thought about the SB for my C4S but it may be a good idea to improve the "normal" mode!
Old 06-30-2014, 02:44 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

I have a 4S
They have the same throttle maps as the other Carreras, no ?

Quick Reply: Installed a SprintBooster in my C4S