Old 06-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Installed a SprintBooster in my C4S

I wanted to repost this on rennlist since I loved the results:
------
Wohooo!!! what a diference!!
if you are questioning to buy one, don't hesitate. do it!
This is the best mod I've done to any car so far.

Ok there will be guys that will flame me and say this is a gimmick (it certainly is) and those who will say you can get the same experience from just flooring the gas pedal, BUT in my opinion that's not the case, I don't have to mash the pedal to get that -mashed- feeling, and there's absolutely no delay between pushing the pedal and the car response, something I could never get rid even on Sport Plus.

I set my SB in red mode and took the cable off, this is the best setting for this car.
When driving in standard mode the car response is immediate but not aggressive, this is the way the 991 should come standard, I always felt it was a dog on Standard mode.
On Sport mode the pedal feels like driving in Sport Plus without the annoying redline gear holding which I find overkill around town, feels fantastic on this mode.
Sport Plus and manual should be called rocket mode, you have to ease into the throttle otherwise the traction control kicks in, but once you get the feather pedal feel, you'll love it! maybe a lot of fun for the streets but a bit aggressive for the track, but you can always disable it in one second.

Anyway I highly recommend this mod, my car now feels right!
Attached Images     
Old 06-28-2014, 07:47 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

If its' easy to remove for when you take it in for a service, then it's a great mod.

Congrats.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:05 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

how difficult was it to install?
Old 06-28-2014, 08:09 PM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by jlanka
how difficult was it to install?
Very easy, took me ten minutes, just unclip, clip, clip.
I could do it in 01 minute with my eyes closed if I were 20 years younger, had to squeeze my body under the dash.

Last edited by Galion; 06-28-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:27 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, there still people who use Sprint
My booster is called Verizon
Old 06-28-2014, 11:33 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zohan
fail
Old 06-28-2014, 11:40 PM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by Zohan
Is that supposed to be funny?
I loved your movie btw....Now that was funny.

Last edited by Galion; 06-29-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:05 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
I wanted to repost this on rennlist since I loved the results:
------
Wohooo!!! what a diference!!
if you are questioning to buy one, don't hesitate. do it!
This is the best mod I've done to any car so far.

Ok there will be guys that will flame me and say this is a gimmick (it certainly is) and those who will say you can get the same experience from just flooring the gas pedal, BUT in my opinion that's not the case, I don't have to mash the pedal to get that -mashed- feeling, and there's absolutely no delay between pushing the pedal and the car response, something I could never get rid even on Sport Plus.

I set my SB in red mode and took the cable off, this is the best setting for this car.
When driving in standard mode the car response is immediate but not aggressive, this is the way the 991 should come standard, I always felt it was a dog on Standard mode.
On Sport mode the pedal feels like driving in Sport Plus without the annoying redline gear holding which I find overkill around town, feels fantastic on this mode.
Sport Plus and manual should be called rocket mode, you have to ease into the throttle otherwise the traction control kicks in, but once you get the feather pedal feel, you'll love it! maybe a lot of fun for the streets but a bit aggressive for the track, but you can always disable it in one second.

Anyway I highly recommend this mod, my car now feels right!
Thanks for the review. But why do you say its a gimmick? It certainly is NOT! In fact your own review says as much!

What it is, is a clever way of getting around the slow throttle response that Porsche (and everyone else!) have engineered into their vehicles. It doesn't (and their website is very clear on this) add power or performance. All it does is adjust throttle mapping, by telling the car you've moved the pedal more than you have.

Its not as good a solution as what Porsche could- should- provide. But I wonder if you'll even notice the one drawback? Because this thing works by telling the car your gas pedal is moved more than you moved it, there comes a point where its saying "full throttle" when the pedal hasn't really reached full throttle. Because of this, there will be a small range just before its truly floored where pressing the gas pedal won't deliver any more throttle. It can't, because the 'booster' had you at full throttle before the pedal got there. Even their website is honest about this, however. But it doesn't sound like its a big deal. From the looks of the charts it shouldn't be. But like I said, I wonder if you'll even notice?
Old 06-29-2014, 04:25 AM
Galion
Pro

Chuck, in all honesty I havent noticed that, even though I had a few runs driving like I stole it, but I guess you are right since that is the principle of the SprintBooster.
What I do know is that this thing really works for me, I know the SB has nothing to do with torque or HP, but the car feels more alive now, definetely solved all the hesitation and lazy pedal issues I had with my 4S.
As stupid as this may sound, the SB tricks my brain into feeling that I am driving a 400 pounds lighter 991 with 50HP+ and huge torque down low.

in line with your words, heres an interesting article that explains what is this thing and what does it do.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...or_Booster.htm
Old 06-29-2014, 05:32 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The Pelican Parts article covers it nicely. Its nothing new to me, I've been talking about things like this for years- the only difference being implementation. The DME mapping in the Pelican Parts piece is what I had in mind, but the Sprint accomplishes the same thing. One could also achieve the same result by modifying the mechanical parts of the gas pedal to deliver a greater apparent angle delta to the sensors. But that entails a lot of custom work, different for each car, while the Sprint design can be easily used on many cars, and is easily adjustable.

Incidentally, its not a case of guessing I am right- what I said came right from the Sprint website!

In order to notice the full throttle 'dead zone' you would need to be rolling the throttle on, nearly full on, then notice the last few degrees of pedal don't affect power. But since at that point engine revs are climbing to redline, horsepower is maxing out, and either you're in a low gear and all this is happening incredibly fast or you're in a high gear and all this is happening while you've got more important things on your mind, well its probably unlikely you'll notice unless you're doing this a lot, as in on the track.

But this things not about full throttle anyway. What its about is exactly what you noticed, that the car feels a lot more responsive and powerful. Its exactly like the way most people feel about amplifiers. If it plays really loud with the volume barely cracked they just naturally assume its a powerful amp. So you still have the same 400 watts, I mean horsepower, its just you no longer have to crank it up, I mean floor it, to enjoy them.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 AM
Zohan
Racer

Is that supposed to be funny?:rolleyes
It is funny.
I used sprint years aro and it sucked, poor reception and always dropping calls. Looks like nothing changed.
Sprint needs a booster becase reception sucks.
The plans are cheaper for a reason
Old 06-29-2014, 09:17 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Is that supposed to be funny?
LOL!!!!
Old 06-29-2014, 09:48 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
But I wonder if you'll even notice the one drawback? Because this thing works by telling the car your gas pedal is moved more than you moved it, there comes a point where its saying "full throttle" when the pedal hasn't really reached full throttle. Because of this, there will be a small range just before its truly floored where pressing the gas pedal won't deliver any more throttle. It can't, because the 'booster' had you at full throttle before the pedal got there.
You could fit a mechanical stopper behind the pedal, like a rubber bit fixed on walls (or floors) to avoid door banging the wall.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:21 AM
jlanka
Drifting

nonononononononononono
Old 06-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Zohan
Racer

Originally Posted by jlanka
fail
Need for Sprint booster - fail

Quick Reply: Installed a SprintBooster in my C4S