Sponsored by:

Blind Spot mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 06:47 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
OK I tried this last night and it actually works VERY well. No more blind spot.

1 question: I lose the ability to use the side mirrors for backing, say into a parking spot where I'm looking to split the lines, etc.

How can I accommodate that loss?
The passenger side RVM has a reverse setting that can be set when in reverse and then activates only when reversing.
Is that function active on your car?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:17 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by lunarx
The passenger side RVM has a reverse setting that can be set when in reverse and then activates only when reversing.
Is that function active on your car?
It isn't active but all that does is tilt the mirror _down_ so you can see the curb. Doesn't do what I'm looking for.

I had a thought though, I'm wondering if I can use one of my 3 presets which will have "side mirrors tilted in" set on it, nothing else
Old 06-26-2014, 07:54 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It isn't active but all that does is tilt the mirror _down_ so you can see the curb. Doesn't do what I'm looking for.

I had a thought though, I'm wondering if I can use one of my 3 presets which will have "side mirrors tilted in" set on it, nothing else
That seems like it would do the job for you.
I'm sure you know, just use PS #1 or #2, because #3 is the one recalled when you unlock your car.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:10 PM
7and911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CPTAmericaMV, thanks to you and GF for the pic..

The mirrors don't look bad at all.... Are these the fixed type or the adjustable angle? I am thinking of buying a fixed type as I have the adjustable angle blind spot mirrors on my Seven but they easily move and need frequent adjustment....
Old 06-27-2014, 06:28 AM
Theodor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the problem is also that the rear three quarter visibility on the 991 is the worst of any 911. It used to be that outward visibility was exceptional on the older cars. And blind spot was all about turning your head quickly.
Guess it's the thicker b and c pillars (which obviously have advantages if the car were to roll).
I have never spent significant times in the cabs so my observation is limited to the coupes.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:48 AM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Fixed type.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:13 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the side mirrors have a coating that could be damaged when removing the small inserted mirror?

I am glad this subject is being discussed, I have readjusted my side mirrors. It seems to work better for me on the passenger side than the drivers side .I have not had to many surprises develop on the drivers side in the past because i lean toward the window on that side as a matter of habit. One issue I was having was that I could not see objects located below the rear side window because the side of the car is so high i can not look down. I think it is a matter of perception because the 991 is so low that there is nothing down lower than me.

So what I do now is to look into the mirror on the side I am merging to, then lean to side again and recheck. Turn signals blazing away, a final check over shoulder , a push on gas and go for it. All the while I have been watching the cars around me to look for cars that are weaving in and out of lanes without looking at all. I is not uncommon in my area to be merging and have someone jump into the lane right next to me without looking or signaling.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 06-29-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:11 PM
jlanka
Drifting

I've got #1 setting mirrors out and #2 setting mirrors in (for backing etc). It's been working quite well for me.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:34 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I've got #1 setting mirrors out and #2 setting mirrors in (for backing etc). It's been working quite well for me.
So when the wife drives your car, she is allowed to drive in reverse only? LOL!

Seriously now, I like your idea - I am going to try this on mine!
Old 06-29-2014, 02:36 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by VIC_50th
So when the wife drives your car, she is allowed to drive in reverse only? LOL!

Seriously now, I like your idea - I am going to try this on mine!
My wife does not want to drive the 911. She thinks it is "too low"
Old 06-29-2014, 07:40 PM
7and911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have memory buttons, you should have auti dip on reverse which is adjustable to whatever way you like it and save memory function 2 for the wife

Quick Reply: Blind Spot mirrors