http://www.jeanknowscars.com/cool-te...?__federated=1
Old 06-23-2014, 11:47 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
I don't need one I know ppl who love this
http://www.jeanknowscars.com/cool-te...?__federated=1
wow...I remember our parents' generation all had these in the 70s..prob why they never caught on back then
Old 06-24-2014, 12:13 AM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1996
Hmmmm... sounds like you may have ridden a motorcycle.
Originally Posted by chuck911

Next time you're in traffic, watch as the cars in adjacent lanes slowly go past. Adjust side mirrors so just as they go out of view of the rear view they come into view of the side. Almost always this means adjusting the sides almost as far out as they'll go. Next, pay attention to what happens as they continue passing. As they go out of view of the sides they should come into your peripheral vision. Not always. Depends on how big the car and how close or far away. This is why you go back and read what Lex wrote, about always doing a head check.
Motorcycling makes you a MUCH better car driver - you will become so aware of everything around you in traffic, it'll feel amazing! I rode throughout my university years and for many after.

Chuck is absolutely correct - if people would only figure this out there would be no "need" for blind-spot monitors on new cars. You can do it in your driveway with the help of another person: Get yourself in the best seat position for proper car control; then set your inside rear-view mirror for best view rearwards. Get your accomplice to stand at the right then left extremes of you field of vision in the rear view mirror, about one car length from your rear bumper, then set your outside mirrors to just catch them at the left and right positions in turn. This should give you the most coverage available. Next time you are out in traffic check as Chuck suggests. You will still have to turn your head left or right to check close beside you, but we all do that anyway.... right??!!
You will quickly accommodate to the loss of seeing your rear fender in the outside mirror, and the benefits are huge!
Old 06-24-2014, 12:35 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIC_50th
Motorcycling makes you a MUCH better car driver - you will become so aware of everything around you in traffic, it'll feel amazing! I rode throughout my university years and for many after.

Chuck is absolutely correct - if people would only figure this out there would be no "need" for blind-spot monitors on new cars. You can do it in your driveway with the help of another person: Get yourself in the best seat position for proper car control; then set your inside rear-view mirror for best view rearwards. Get your accomplice to stand at the right then left extremes of you field of vision in the rear view mirror, about one car length from your rear bumper, then set your outside mirrors to just catch them at the left and right positions in turn. This should give you the most coverage available. Next time you are out in traffic check as Chuck suggests. You will still have to turn your head left or right to check close beside you, but we all do that anyway.... right??!!
You will quickly accommodate to the loss of seeing your rear fender in the outside mirror, and the benefits are huge!
i spent many many many many liters of fuel doing the metchosin GP
Old 06-24-2014, 09:18 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

OK I tried this last night and it actually works VERY well. No more blind spot.

1 question: I lose the ability to use the side mirrors for backing, say into a parking spot where I'm looking to split the lines, etc.

How can I accommodate that loss?
Old 06-24-2014, 12:07 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There has been some good advice given on how to adjust the outside rear view mirrors. While adjustment can be made to eliminate the blind spot for a car or truck, there will still be a blind spot that can hide a motorcycle. I have 1"x2" stick on convex mirrors on every car and motorcycle I have owned. The only vehicle I have owned with perfect mirrors was my F250 horse hauler. The bottom 20% of the mirror was convex. I would like to see Porsche do something similar.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:28 PM
7and911
Advanced

Just wonder why porsche doesn't fix this issue.... More convex glass or bigger size....?!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:33 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by 7and911
or bigger size....?!
Shut the front door!!!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:58 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by solomonschris
there will still be a blind spot that can hide a motorcycle.
True, but about the first thing any living motorcyclist learned was maintain a proper position in the lane and to stay out of blind spots (trucks an even a bigger issue than cars). As VIC_50th mentioned, former and current motorcyclists make better car drivers because they are naturally so focused on keeping track of where all the vehicles surrounding them are and what they're doing.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:58 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

No matter how you adjust your mirrors, you will always have a blindspot directly next to you which requires that awkward look to the left. That's why I have always used one of those simple wedge mirrors - don't feel comfortable driving without one. A must for quickly clearing the left lane before jumping in and hammer down!
Old 06-25-2014, 03:02 PM
7and911
Advanced

WCE, CPTAmericaMV and Solomonschris could you post a pic please? where are you attaching the sticker, near the inside edge or the outside edge of the side mirrors? If it is near the outside edge would the view get obscured by the housing?
Old 06-25-2014, 04:55 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To clangpap: You are right about the defensive driving skills that one must learn to survive riding motorcycles. I have been riding for 52 years. I've had 36 street bikes and several dirt bikes. I am certain that the reason I have never been in an accident (aside from luck) is due to the skills I learned on bikes. With that said, the fact remains that there are tens of thousands of motorcycle riders that have not yet learned those skills. Some believe a really loud exhaust will save them! I buy the little convex mirrors mounted on a wedge shaped base. I place them at the bottom of the mirror. I much prefer these to the round mirrors. They are found in most any auto parts store. I'm an old fart and uploading pictures is really frustrating for me. My Avatar is a car I sold last August (like an idiot) and so far I haven't figured out how to change it. I don't like a constant reminder of my mistake ....Chris
Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been riding for 52 years.
I love it when someone makes me feel young (I'm only 58) - kudos to you for continuing to ride too.

Some believe a really loud exhaust will save them!
Loud pipes save lives...really? Then why do I want them to fall victim to Darwin?
Old 06-25-2014, 11:12 PM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 7and911
WCE, CPTAmericaMV and Solomonschris could you post a pic please? where are you attaching the sticker, near the inside edge or the outside edge of the side mirrors? If it is near the outside edge would the view get obscured by the housing?
I'm out of town and away from my car at the moment. I placed the mirrors on the outside edges in the corners.
My view is not obscured by the mirror housing. I am so much more comfortable with the blind spot mirrors on. I never have to turn my head behind to check when changing lanes now.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:26 PM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the girlfriend take some shots for you. I hope this helps.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Blind Spot mirrors