Sponsored by:

Blind Spot mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 07:45 PM
7and911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blind Spot mirrors

C4S Cabrio with limited visibility especially at the passenger side...

Anyone has tried blind spot mirrors please? Are they any good?

Something may be like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Reach-Blind-Mirrors-Vehicle-Rearview/dp/B00JE7U244/ref=zg_bs_15736561_58 http://www.amazon.com/Reach-Blind-Mirrors-Vehicle-Rearview/dp/B00JE7U244/ref=zg_bs_15736561_58

Thank you
Old 06-23-2014, 03:55 AM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

I put them on my 991. Love them.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:22 AM
991cab
1st Gear

Default Blind spot mirrors

How so they look?
Could you post some pictures?
Thanks
Old 06-23-2014, 09:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Blind spots....really?

Properly adjust your mirrors. Use good driving techniques, meaning you use your peripheral vision, slight head turn, and actually use your properly adjusted mirrors. You should always assume THERE IS A CAR in your blind spot, look to make sure it is NOT there, not the other way around. Lastly be a good driver, and don't sit in others car's blind spots, move up, move back a car length, or change to the proper lane assignment. I just don't see the problem.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:53 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not know if I have ever gotten the passenger mirror set perfectly.
Sometimes if the car next to me is in the far side of the lane it can be hard to see if the car is real small.I try to compensate by checking mirrors often,looking over my shoulder,and hitting the gas when moving to the right. I still lack confidence in what I see in the mirror and over my shoulder if I have not been checking the passenger side regularly.

I try to never sit in another cars blind spot.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:56 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I find the visibility in the 991 to be really good - but then again I'm old-school and I actually turn my head to check.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:50 AM
Mark1996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Blind spots....really?

Properly adjust your mirrors. Use good driving techniques, meaning you use your peripheral vision, slight head turn, and actually use your properly adjusted mirrors. You should always assume THERE IS A CAR in your blind spot, look to make sure it is NOT there, not the other way around. Lastly be a good driver, and don't sit in others car's blind spots, move up, move back a car length, or change to the proper lane assignment. I just don't see the problem.
Hmmmm... sounds like you may have ridden a motorcycle.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:56 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
I do not know if I have ever gotten the passenger mirror set perfectly.
Sometimes if the car next to me is in the far side of the lane it can be hard to see if the car is real small.I try to compensate by checking mirrors often,looking over my shoulder,and hitting the gas when moving to the right. I still lack confidence in what I see in the mirror and over my shoulder if I have not been checking the passenger side regularly.

I try to never sit in another cars blind spot.
in a car with poor rear quarter visibility like a cab or big SUV , esp the passenger side, lean over towards the passenger seat , then set mirror to where you just see the side of the car

also, one should always look over the shoulder before changing lanes in any car, even ones with " good " visibility , since there is a blind spot in each eye
Old 06-23-2014, 12:24 PM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is an article on how to set your mirrors to eliminate blind spot:

"If somebody’s driving with a blind spot, they need to adjust the mirrors properly so they’re not looking at the side of the car – because you already know where that is,” says Scott Wilson, Senior Policy Analyst with the Alberta Motor Association (AMA). “Rather than buying an additional mirror, adjust the mirrors so they’re facing the adjacent lane.”

The idea has been around at least since George Platzer, an engineer from Rochester Hills, Mich. wrote his 1995 technical paper “The Geometry of Automotive Rearview Mirrors - Why Blind Zones Exist and Strategies to Overcome Them.”

Here’s how to do it. Lean your head against the left window and adjust the left mirror so you just barely see the left side of your car. Then, lean to the right, to about the middle of your dash, and adjust the right mirror just until you can just barely see the right side.

If it’s done properly, a car passing to your left or right should start to appear in your side view mirror just as it starts to move out of your rear view mirror. Platzer calls this the Blind Zone and Glare Elimination (BGE) setting. With it, the side mirrors show only the blind zones. There are still small blind zones left, but they're not big enough to hide a car, Platzer said.

“When driving with the BGE Setting, most drivers initially feel a sense of confusion with the outside mirrors; you are not sure where they are pointed; you miss not seeing the sides of the car; and you do not know how to interpret what you see,” he wrote in a 1996 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) brochure on the topic. “Don’t give up. The confusion will go away.”

This link has a picture of the "proper" set-up: http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-original.jpg
Old 06-23-2014, 12:38 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

interesting concept and one I was not aware of. I will have to try that.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:12 PM
7and911
Advanced

this is all ok but will not help if you are trying to get out of a parking slot at the right angle of the street or when doing 3-point turn... With cabrio, it is a COMPLETE blindness...
Old 06-23-2014, 04:24 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by p987yow
Here is an article on how to set your mirrors to eliminate blind spot:

"If somebody’s driving with a blind spot, they need to adjust the mirrors properly so they’re not looking at the side of the car – because you already know where that is,” says Scott Wilson, Senior Policy Analyst with the Alberta Motor Association (AMA). “Rather than buying an additional mirror, adjust the mirrors so they’re facing the adjacent lane.”

The idea has been around at least since George Platzer, an engineer from Rochester Hills, Mich. wrote his 1995 technical paper “The Geometry of Automotive Rearview Mirrors - Why Blind Zones Exist and Strategies to Overcome Them.”

Here’s how to do it. Lean your head against the left window and adjust the left mirror so you just barely see the left side of your car. Then, lean to the right, to about the middle of your dash, and adjust the right mirror just until you can just barely see the right side.

If it’s done properly, a car passing to your left or right should start to appear in your side view mirror just as it starts to move out of your rear view mirror. Platzer calls this the Blind Zone and Glare Elimination (BGE) setting. With it, the side mirrors show only the blind zones. There are still small blind zones left, but they're not big enough to hide a car, Platzer said.

“When driving with the BGE Setting, most drivers initially feel a sense of confusion with the outside mirrors; you are not sure where they are pointed; you miss not seeing the sides of the car; and you do not know how to interpret what you see,” he wrote in a 1996 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) brochure on the topic. “Don’t give up. The confusion will go away.”

This link has a picture of the "proper" set-up: http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-original.jpg
i made this change early on this year and i think i would caution anyone doing so to do it incrementally rather than all at once. it is quite a shocking change to see so much activity in the mirror and can be extremely disorientating.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:03 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
i made this change early on this year and i think i would caution anyone doing so to do it incrementally rather than all at once. it is quite a shocking change to see so much activity in the mirror and can be extremely disorientating.

Don't start driving correctly all at once. Its too big a shock. Ease into it. Continue doing as many things as possible wrong for as long as possible.

I have no idea how many hundreds of cars I've gotten into over the years, but am quite sure I could count on my fingers the ones with properly adjusted mirrors. Everyone seems to want to adjust the side mirrors to view the same area already covered by the rear view mirror. The problem is so pervasive I believe its even affected manufacturers, as almost all of them deliver side view mirrors to duplicate the rear view while barely going far enough out to the side to show what they're supposed to show.

Porsche is a rare exception, but they still need to be adjusted almost as far out as they'll go.

Next time you're in traffic, watch as the cars in adjacent lanes slowly go past. Adjust side mirrors so just as they go out of view of the rear view they come into view of the side. Almost always this means adjusting the sides almost as far out as they'll go. Next, pay attention to what happens as they continue passing. As they go out of view of the sides they should come into your peripheral vision. Not always. Depends on how big the car and how close or far away. This is why you go back and read what Lex wrote, about always doing a head check.

If you think adjusting mirrors is shocking, imagine adjusting everything else all at once….
Old 06-23-2014, 08:17 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
in a car with poor rear quarter visibility like a cab or big SUV , esp the passenger side, lean over towards the passenger seat , then set mirror to where you just see the side of the car

also, one should always look over the shoulder before changing lanes in any car, even ones with " good " visibility , since there is a blind spot in each eye
I agree you should lean over that will change the angle of vision
Old 06-23-2014, 08:51 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
interesting concept and one I was not aware of. I will have to try that.
it works exactly as stated in the paper above including being slightly uncomfortable in the beginning at the different information relayed to experienced drivers , but it is what I taught my two kids from day 1 .

however, I did turn the driver side mirror back inwards a bit because opposing cars in heavy traffic created a continual vertigo-inducing whipsaw image in the peripheral vision on that side as each passed and receded. Felt like I was on the spinning tea cup ride at Disneyland,

Quick Reply: Blind Spot mirrors