Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Micro cracks on headlight

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

If the dealer gives you any pushback, point out that it's a safety hazard. Those scratches will diffract light into oncoming drivers' eyes at night.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:13 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Both Cracked

Drove through a "storm" of Love Bugs recently. When I got home I washed it as I always have, when rinsing I noticed the cracks. Unbelievable! Dealer examined said covered under CPO warranty. Took it in the other day to have them changed. N.G. One of the new headlights was broken. So, back again.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:05 PM
Andres De Vidts
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have the same problem with my 2013 Carrera S that have been always protected from sun and have only 18.000 miles . My country dealer only offers my a discount buying both headlamps but I have to pay over 5.500 dollars to change them, and it's a clear factory default. Does somebody have the germany customer email to write them? I have send two emails to Mr. Ecker thas it´s after sale manager from Porsche Germany without answer, this is the email address I have service.pzstuttgart@porsche.de but maybe it's wrong, if someone that can help me I appreciate.
Thanks a lot
Old 06-28-2018, 12:59 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by mmaturo
Now if only my clear bra guy hadn't damaged them for me. Getting the coating polished off and then put clear bra on them anyway over the next couple of weeks. I am surprised at how weak the coating really is.
this happened to me! Turned him into my insurance and they went after him (got two brand new headlights). Oh and he cracked them probably by using a blade on the edges (my thought)... and he broke tabs, and he did a **** job on the front bumper!!
than he told me to pound sand when I confronted him about it. ( that's what we have insurance for deal with those kind of people)

wqtch out...

i swearr I don't care if I pay more I'm only going to authorized Porsche centers from now. I have to much bad experience with independents recommendations from friends etc

so sick of delay with scum running mom and pop businesses that give you the shaft when they screw up
Old 06-28-2018, 10:08 AM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Headlights replaced under CPO warranty.

Here's the problem: How prevent cracking going forward?
Old 06-29-2018, 08:07 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine were replaced under CPO warranty. I asked if would happen again, they could not say.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:24 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I would think Porsche would try to get these lights right. I've had eight Porsches and never seen this, at least with my cars . My 2017 C2S though has the beginnings of it and my dealer is replacing before it gets worse. Clearly not the first time they have seen this.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:00 PM
CJJ23
4th Gear

Default cracks on both headlamps- dealer won't replace. Anyone else with similar issues?

So my 991 has started to show signs of cracks on headlamps (see images), my local dealer has discussed with Porsche head office and they are saying they won't replace under warranty as an external cleaning fluid has been used, and the fluid will have been bad from a PH perspective. I have explained I hand wash my cars and use the two bucket technique with standard shampoo, the same shampoo that I've used multiple times on several vehicles with no issues. They won't test the lights for thuis supposed PH balance. It feels like I have to prove their theory wrong even though I've told them several times that I haven't used any special cleaning equipment. Anyone got any advice?
Old 08-08-2018, 03:03 PM
CJJ23
4th Gear

Hey Perretar, I've just added a post and images to this thread as I'm having exactly the same issue. I see that Porsche changed your lights under warranty, they won't change mine! Any advice?
Old 08-08-2018, 03:14 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My headlights were similar. The dealer replaced under warranty. I mentioned it to my sales guy, and he knew the issue - so it's not something Porsche isn't aware of.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:16 PM
CJJ23
4th Gear

thanks Jsaviano, really appreciate your response.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:28 AM
Richard Miles
1st Gear

Angry Cracks on my 911 headlamps

Started about 3 weeks ago ad getting worse daily. I have a appointment to see the dealer and hopefully the warranty will cover this. Car is stored in air conditioned garage and covered at work. 2015 model. Any words of advice as to what to say to the dealer?

This is getting worse on a day by day basis! Got an appointment to see the dealer in 2 days...any words of advice to help me persuade them to cover this under the warranty?
Old 06-14-2019, 09:52 AM
CJJ23
4th Gear

Default Cracked headlamps- Hi Richard, my car went under inspection at Porsche cars great Bri

Originally Posted by Richard Miles
Started about 3 weeks ago ad getting worse daily. I have a appointment to see the dealer and hopefully the warranty will cover this. Car is stored in air conditioned garage and covered at work. 2015 model. Any words of advice as to what to say to the dealer?

This is getting worse on a day by day basis! Got an appointment to see the dealer in 2 days...any words of advice to help me persuade them to cover this under the warranty?
Hi Richard, my car went under inspection at Porsche cars great Britain for almost 10 days! Images were taken and sent to Porsche HQ in Germany where they decided that I'd either a) used acid on my lights (yeah right!) or b) had parked the car next to a furnace! 12 months later and I've just changed the lights, Porsche contributed 50% as goodwill gesture. I would recommend that if you are in the UK to send your case to the Motor Ombudsman. My case has gone to adjudication (it's all free of charge to you as the consumer) and I have also recently completed an independent inspection report (as I tried to claim on my car insurance). The report has shown a defect with the lights as the cracking is on the outside, so how can this be related to an external force such as heat or acid?! My war was under Porsche warranty but after several phone calls, emails etc I am now waiting for the Ombudsman to rule on this case. Porsche have agreed to reimburse me for the full amount of the lights replacement should the Ombudsman rule in my favour.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:19 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,189 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by CJJ23
Hi Richard, my car went under inspection at Porsche cars great Britain for almost 10 days! Images were taken and sent to Porsche HQ in Germany where they decided that I'd either a) used acid on my lights (yeah right!) or b) had parked the car next to a furnace! 12 months later and I've just changed the lights, Porsche contributed 50% as goodwill gesture. I would recommend that if you are in the UK to send your case to the Motor Ombudsman. My case has gone to adjudication (it's all free of charge to you as the consumer) and I have also recently completed an independent inspection report (as I tried to claim on my car insurance). The report has shown a defect with the lights as the cracking is on the outside, so how can this be related to an external force such as heat or acid?! My war was under Porsche warranty but after several phone calls, emails etc I am now waiting for the Ombudsman to rule on this case. Porsche have agreed to reimburse me for the full amount of the lights replacement should the Ombudsman rule in my favour.

Wow, how big of them! It is crazy you have to go through this - like you used acid to clean your headlights or parked by a furnace. The only thing close to parking to a furnace is parking outside in 100 degree temps, and if the headlights cannot withstand that kind of heat, Porsche needs to go back to the drawing board. .
Old 09-19-2019, 04:32 PM
jworms
2nd Gear

Bumping an older thread.

I picked up a 2014 Turbo S and [1 year later] I noticed this is happening on my headlights too. Dealer said they wouldn't cover it under the CPO warranty. However, they would have covered it under the factory warranty which reinforces the fact that this is a defective product and not related to wear and tear.
After a bit of back and forth with the dealer they offered a heavily discounted rate for replacing the lights. I am moving forward with the deal they offered despite my extreme dislike of financially contributing to the replacement of a defective product.

Here's a couple of pics of my lights for reference:

To my knowledge, the car has never had a protective film on it. Furthermore, I've never had a car that has delaminating headlights.

Quick Reply: Micro cracks on headlight