Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Micro cracks on headlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 11:29 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Absolutely BS on Porsche. This shouldn’t happen, and replacement cost is absurd. Mine are covered with PPF. If this ever happens, will have to coating sanded off and polished, before I drop $6K on replacements.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:08 AM
PBG
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by CJJ23

So my 991 has started to show signs of cracks on headlamps (see images), my local dealer has discussed with Porsche head office and they are saying they won't replace under warranty as an external cleaning fluid has been used, and the fluid will have been bad from a PH perspective. I have explained I hand wash my cars and use the two bucket technique with standard shampoo, the same shampoo that I've used multiple times on several vehicles with no issues. They won't test the lights for thuis supposed PH balance. It feels like I have to prove their theory wrong even though I've told them several times that I haven't used any special cleaning equipment. Anyone got any advice?

My 25,000 mile '14 981 Cayman is starting to exhibit this in random places across both headlights. My servicing dealer has yet to call me back after speaking to them about it and agreeing for me to meet the PCNA rep to plead my case. My local dealer presented it to PCNA, I assume as external damage because the tech and Service Manager have both come to the conclusion my paint is FAR more durable than a piece of 1/8" to 3/16" lexan and the abuse SUFFICIENT enough to create these small random cracks would not in any way leave paint damage. Even though there is also ACTUAL evidence of ACTUAL impacts on the headlights, like one would expect, totally unlike the cracks and one can assume that would mean the lexan is stronger in those particular areas to not create a crack, only a divot. PCNA offered an insulting $900 and the dealer offered to replace them with free labor for $3000 out of pocket on a $5500 job. In fact, the Service Manager said had it been caught withing the 4/50 warranty, we would see a different outcome. I'm not sure why the dealer concluded "impact damage" would be covered while in warranty any more than 12 months out of warranty? But, there in lies the question, my car has been in the dealer(yeah the one who has yet to call me back) once a year since new. Why was this NOT caught within warranty?

Of course I declined their ridiculous offer because it clearly isn't damage from impacts and I refuse to give them $3000. Even though I will likely pay that if I replace myself, via Suncoast, I refuse to agree and give it to them. It's like admitting I to something I didn't do. I always wondered why Suncoast has a listing for new headlights, and one that states they cannot be upgraded, so it's obviously not there for people to "Upgrade"...well now I know. The bottom line is, I'm pretty sure mine will look like this eventually and it's CLEARLY a manufacturer defect with the headlight lens material. It's just another case of Porsche refusing to acknowledge the existence of a flaw in their brand and leaving it up to the customer to take the hit. It can't possibly be Porsche's fault, they do everything right and all their cars and the components that make them up are obviously perfect and without flaw, right?

I have become informed of how this process works and Porsche gives a lot of latitude to the dealer to make the call but all involved have a stake. The dealer, the Tech, PCNA and lastly the customer who in the end, will take it in the end.

I'm curious CJJ, can you feel the cracks with your fingernail?

Last edited by PBG; 01-21-2020 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 01-06-2020, 08:02 PM
Adamtensta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this too on my 991.1. Does anyone know if this happens on 991.2?
Old 01-06-2020, 08:17 PM
TrainShop.se
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have a 991.2 and as you can see at my picture, it look like yours and have it on both headlamps.

!
Old 01-06-2020, 08:20 PM
Adamtensta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TrainShop.se
Yes, I have a 991.2 and as you can see my picture, it look like yours and both sides

!
Thanks for confirming. That's a pity and embarrassing. Both mine are like this, and my two rear tail lights have cracks. A car that costs this much and they can't even get this thing right... I've contacted porsche in Germany. It's not acceptabel. One tail light that cracked I got replaced by the sales guy and that one is free from cracks after two years. Guessing they fixed it later on.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:30 PM
TrainShop.se
4th Gear

Thanks, for the information. Can you please keep me up-dated what the outcome will be after your discussion with Porsche Germany. Would be highly appreciated!
Then I could also try to override the Porsche Sweden!
I have been in serious discussion with Porsche Sweden, but with very poor outcome. The car cost 190.000USD in Sweden as new, it now 5 year and have only use it for 30000 km.

I attached the answer from the manufacturer of those beams!

Dear Mr. Dikmen,
as I already informed you yesterday by our phone call, ZKW has a supply-contract with Porsche which does not allow us
to contact end customers or to give any information to end customers. I discussed this issue with our Legal Department,
but we are sorry in this case we cannot help you.

As we do not have the release from Porsche to sell Porsche headlamps to the Independent Aftermarket, we can also
not offer you a new headlamp.
Please understand you have to go to your Porsche workshop or to your Porsche Service Center.

We regret, that we cannot give you a better information.
We thank you for your understanding and wish you all the best.

Best Regards,

Siegfried Kloimwieder

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Siegfried Kloimwieder

Sales Manager Independent Aftermarket

Group Sales

[img]cid:image002.png@01D57F3A.BC5A4180[/img]+43 7416 505 2514

[img]cid:image003.png@01D57F3A.BC5A4180[/img]+43 664 80509 2514

[img]cid:image004.png@01D57F3A.BC5A4180[/img]+43 7416 505 2599
siegfried.kloimwieder@zkw-group.com

www.zkw-group.com

[img]cid:image005.png@01D57F3A.BC5A4180[/img]

[img]cid:image006.png@01D57F3A.BC5A4180[/img]

ZKW Group GmbH
Rottenhauser Straße 8
A-3250 Wieselburg
FN 88672 a

Last edited by TrainShop.se; 01-07-2020 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:33 PM
Adamtensta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TrainShop.se
Thanks, for the information. Can you please keep me up-dated what the outcome will be after your discussion with Porsche Germany. Would be highly appreciated!
Then I could also try to override the Porsche Sweden!
I have been in serious discussion with Porsche Sweden, but with very poor outcome. The car costed 190.000USD in Sweden as new, it now 5 year and have only use it for 30000 km.

I attached the answer from the manufacturer of those beams!

Dear Mr. Dikmen,
as I already informed you yesterday by our phone call, ZKW has a supply-contract with Porsche which does not allow us
to contact end customers or to give any information to end customers. I discussed this issue with our Legal Department,
but we are sorry in this case we cannot help you.

As we do not have the release from Porsche to sell Porsche headlamps to the Independent Aftermarket, we can also
not offer you a new headlamp.
Please understand you have to go to your Porsche workshop or to your Porsche Service Center.

We regret, that we cannot give you a better information.
We thank you for your understanding and wish you all the best.

Best Regards,

Siegfried Kloimwieder

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards
Siegfried Kloimwieder

Sales Manager Independent Aftermarket

Group Sales

[img]cid:image002.png@01D57F3A.BC5A4180[/img]+43 7416 505 2514

[img]cid:image003.png@01D57F3A.BC5A4180[/img]+43 664 80509 2514

[img]cid:image004.png@01D57F3A.BC5A4180[/img]+43 7416 505 2599
siegfried.kloimwieder@zkw-group.com

www.zkw-group.com

[img]cid:image005.png@01D57F3A.BC5A4180[/img]

[img]cid:image006.png@01D57F3A.BC5A4180[/img]

ZKW Group GmbH
Rottenhauser Straße 8
A-3250 Wieselburg
FN 88672 a
Hah, that's funny. Cause I'm also from Sweden but decided to go directly to the Germans since the folks here are just sales guys. Will keep you posted. Mine is a 2014, 28000 km.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:36 PM
TrainShop.se
4th Gear

Aha, funny and small world!
Please, let us do something of this, this should blow up on their faces!

Could you please get in touch with me at my e-mail address instead, info@trainshop.se.

Cheers
Abbe
Old 01-06-2020, 11:22 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes

this happened to me! Turned him into my insurance and they went after him (got two brand new headlights). Oh and he cracked them probably by using a blade on the edges (my thought)... and he broke tabs, and he did a **** job on the front bumper!!
than he told me to pound sand when I confronted him about it. ( that's what we have insurance for deal with those kind of people)

wqtch out...

i swearr I don't care if I pay more I'm only going to authorized Porsche centers from now. I have to much bad experience with independents recommendations from friends etc

so sick of delay with scum running mom and pop businesses that give you the shaft when they screw up
find friends with higher standards. Or just find new friends.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:28 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

I think the simplest solution if not covered under warranty is to have the clear coated light sanded then polished. This is regularly done to rejuvenate yellowed or hazed headlights. Then put PPF over this pristine headlight. No reason to spend thousands on a new headlight if they work and just the coating is less than ideal.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:47 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

I bought a 2015 GTS a yer ago and took it in to have Expel put on the front and headlights and the installer said Expel suggests DO NOT use their fid on my model year 911. He said it can cause problems, and that I already HAD microcracks showing up.

I was surprised when I saw them. About that time my PDK failed and that started a 5 week ****show. They replaced the lights under warranty with no pushback. Most likely because I was pissed already.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:06 PM
FABS991
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE = Mech33; 12587906] Il s'agit d'un problème connu avec les phares 991. Le mien a fait de même après seulement 3 mois de propriété. À l'origine, mon représentant sur le terrain Porsche m'a refusé la couverture, qui m'a dit que les dommages devaient avoir été causés par moi ou par quelqu'un qui avait fait levier sur le phare (!!). C'était ma première expérience avec Porsche pour un article sous garantie et disons simplement que je n'étais pas un nouveau client Porsche heureux. Mais une escalade vers le service client Porsche et un partage de cette vidéo avec eux ont aidé à le résoudre rapidement et à les faire remplacer une semaine plus tard:

Voici le kicker: cela fait environ 1-1,5 mois depuis leur remplacement, et j'ai regardé attentivement les nouvelles lumières, et elles montrent déjà de très petites fissures commençant à certains des bords (trop petites pour remarquer normalement sauf si vous êtes les chercher). Ils étaient parfaits le premier jour.

Je prends des photos toutes les semaines ou deux en préparation de mon étui pour les faire remplacer une fois qu'ils deviennent suffisamment mauvais pour devenir visibles à hauteur debout et commencer à me déranger.

Il y a clairement un problème de fabrication ... On dirait une chance du tirage. [/ DEVIS]
Hello can you give me the video i have the problem.. thank ,s
Old 01-15-2020, 10:22 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

For anyone with a 991.2 w/ delaminating LED headlights (crackling around the edges) , i just saw what the seller says is a perfect pair FS on 991 Marketplace right now for $2000
Old 01-21-2020, 01:31 PM
PBG
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
I think the simplest solution if not covered under warranty is to have the clear coated light sanded then polished. This is regularly done to rejuvenate yellowed or hazed headlights. Then put PPF over this pristine headlight. No reason to spend thousands on a new headlight if they work and just the coating is less than ideal.
The problem is it's not cracks in the surface coating, at least on mine and the pictures I've seen like them, it's cracks IN the headlight assembly plastic. No amount of sanding will do anything to help.
The following users liked this post:
DiegoR (02-19-2021)
Old 01-21-2020, 02:32 PM
FABS991
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Pas pris en totalité en charge en FRANCE bravo PORSCHE

Quick Reply: Micro cracks on headlight