Sponsored by:

Micro cracks on headlight

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Husk.
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Husk.
Thank you for your replies. Have Porsche ever explained why is this happening? Is it a defect only affecting some cars, or is due to any particular conditions such as heat?

Also, have any of you faced this issue twice, being replaced and then happening again?
Replaced under warranty. But no explanation to the cause. Have any of you had this issue reappearing on the headlights?
Old 11-11-2017, 06:43 PM
BlackCS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks awful, 981's are also having similar issues, with the top layer peeling off along with the inner cracks.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:03 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I looked at my 2012.5 pretty close and didn’t notice this issue. Original lights/covers probably made in late 2011. 4 more months on warranty so if they crack hopefully it’ll be soon 😀
Old 04-23-2018, 03:43 PM
glbrighenti
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updating the thread with a new case. Mine looks like the one Husk posted.
You can see the delamination at the bottom edge, but after driving in a hot day (>90 degrees outside), these other cracks in the middle appeared. I don't believe was rocks, because the bumper looks ok, and it only happened in one side.

The problem is that my warranty expired few months ago. I have extended warranty from carmax, but not sure they will cover this. 99% chance they`ll blame rocks or something.
Will call Porsche of San Diego to see if they can help me.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:48 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

My 2014 991S is showing something quite similar. Taking it to the dlr in the near future.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:52 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by glbrighenti
Updating the thread with a new case. Mine looks like the one Husk posted.
You can see the delamination at the bottom edge, but after driving in a hot day (>90 degrees outside), these other cracks in the middle appeared. I don't believe was rocks, because the bumper looks ok, and it only happened in one side.

The problem is that my warranty expired few months ago. I have extended warranty from carmax, but not sure they will cover this. 99% chance they`ll blame rocks or something.
Will call Porsche of San Diego to see if they can help me.
Did u have PPF applied ? We’re they pulled if so?
Old 04-23-2018, 05:57 PM
glbrighenti
Rennlist Member

Nop, did not put any protection ever. I saw some people saying that putting films and removing can damage it. But they are the way they came from factory.
Saw in this thread in the very end of page 4 someone mentioning that maybe some car washing products may cause (accelerate?) this. Not sure if this is true, but coincidence or not I washed the car on Friday, and this happened on Sunday, after a hot day.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:14 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Nop, did not put any protection ever. I saw some people saying that putting films and removing can damage it. But they are the way they came from factory.
Saw in this thread in the very end of page 4 someone mentioning that maybe some car washing products may cause (accelerate?) this. Not sure if this is true, but coincidence or not I washed the car on Friday, and this happened on Sunday, after a hot day.
What products did you use?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:20 PM
glbrighenti
Rennlist Member

Just hand washed with Meguiars soap. Nothing specific for the headlight.
The car washing product that I saw in the other thread is just a theory, not sure is related. I think its most likely a factory defect since we have a number of people with the same issue.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:24 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Just hand washed with Meguiars soap. Nothing specific for the headlight.
The car washing product that I saw in the other thread is just a theory, not sure is related. I think its most likely a factory defect since we have a number of people with the same issue.
Yes. Sounds that way
Old 04-23-2018, 08:19 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
This is a well documented problem with Porsche headlights and PPF film.

Called headlight delamination. Search the forums. Many issues. Once that UV coating comes off, you have a big issue unfortunately.

Sorry to hear that. I've warned people on those threads about it.
ok so i have a small (under .5cm) of a peel of the uv film over the headlight. The vehicle is cpo.....i probably should talk to the dealership? But i also heard that cpo doesnt cover headlights. No?
Old 04-26-2018, 07:57 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

I commented above that my headlights were showing the exact symptoms. Took it to the Porsche dlr that has been servicing my car. They are going to replace them under warranty. They seemed to have seen it before, and so did a salesperson I spoke to. They couldn't tell my why it happened, but my guess is that Porsche is aware of the issue.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:00 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Thankfully, I don't think my car has this issue at all, but out of curiosity, does CPO cover such cosmetic issues?
Old 04-28-2018, 06:30 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

CPO covered my headlights, and they had PPF installed on them. In fact, it was the installer that pointed the delam out to me. My SA said they see new cars off the trailer with delamination.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:33 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Just had this exact damage on the outer edge of my headlights taken care under CPO warranty. It took a bit of debate with the dealer and their initial response that it was cosmetic and not covered under CPO. But having seen this thread, but I persisted and said "no, that is a defect" and I insisted that they submit with photos to PCNA and Porsche agreed to cover it. Just keeping this thread up to date...
The following users liked this post:
Mark Mullins (05-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Micro cracks on headlight