Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Micro cracks on headlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:43 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have micro cracks developing on both of my headlamps. Service manager took pictures to forward to PCNA rep. I have requested to meet with rep next time he visits my dealership as I don't feel like pictures show the true nature and extent of cracking.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:30 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Micro cracks on headlight

Originally Posted by perretar
I have micro cracks developing on both of my headlamps. Service manager took pictures to forward to PCNA rep. I have requested to meet with rep next time he visits my dealership as I don't feel like pictures show the true nature and extent of cracking.
There have been reports of this on the GT3 forum too. Definitely replaceable by warranty.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:49 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
There have been reports of this on the GT3 forum too. Definitely replaceable by warranty.
Now if only my clear bra guy hadn't damaged them for me. Getting the coating polished off and then put clear bra on them anyway over the next couple of weeks. I am surprised at how weak the coating really is.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:54 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by mmaturo
Now if only my clear bra guy hadn't damaged them for me. Getting the coating polished off and then put clear bra on them anyway over the next couple of weeks. I am surprised at how weak the coating really is.
What happened to yours? How did the damage happen?
Old 09-08-2015, 05:26 PM
mmaturo
Racer

What happened to yours? How did the damage happen?
Clear bra guy didn't get the pieces on right the first time so he ended up trying to peel them up some a re-stretch the film and in that process took the coating right up. It is very easy to damage. He had not dealt with a Porsche with the coating yet and I do not think his skills were up to the task at all.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by mmaturo
Clear bra guy didn't get the pieces on right the first time so he ended up trying to peel them up some a re-stretch the film and in that process took the coating right up. It is very easy to damage. He had not dealt with a Porsche with the coating yet and I do not think his skills were up to the task at all.
This is a well documented problem with Porsche headlights and PPF film.

Called headlight delamination. Search the forums. Many issues. Once that UV coating comes off, you have a big issue unfortunately.

Sorry to hear that. I've warned people on those threads about it.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:34 PM
greta991gt3
Intermediate

i have this too on my 2015 car. I track the car but haven't hit anything; i think it's just maybe stresses on the adhesive?? not sure what it is but doesn't seem right; i'm planning to take it in.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:00 PM
mmaturo
Racer

This is a well documented problem with Porsche headlights and PPF film.

Called headlight delamination. Search the forums. Many issues. Once that UV coating comes off, you have a big issue unfortunately.

Sorry to hear that. I've warned people on those threads about it.
Yup, did not know about it back in April/May when I first bought the car and rushed to get it paint corrected and wrapped (since the bumper was 100% blemish free still) before researching everything to death...it literally happened one day before some of the threads showed up here again about it...and sure enough. Will have it ground off so not too worried. My detail guy has already done it to a few so waiting on getting the car to him.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:01 PM
MACH 86
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth I saw 2 xpel factory people applying xpel to head lights on 2 new 918's. Asked the Porsche facility manage rand the xpel people about the potential problem and was told definitely NO problem. Was glad to hear that as I have xpel on my head lights.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by MACH 86
For what it's worth I saw 2 xpel factory people applying xpel to head lights on 2 new 918's. Asked the Porsche facility manage rand the xpel people about the potential problem and was told definitely NO problem. Was glad to hear that as I have xpel on my head lights.
Sure, no potential problem until there's a reason to take it off. Xpel has a more aggressive adhesive than all the other brands I'm pretty sure. The risk is there with all films.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:03 PM
greta991gt3
Intermediate

I have this on my 2015 gt3. i track it but don't think it's from that. it looks like it's created from stress the way the headlights are attached or something. (i also never had this on my 997 turbo which i also tracked). do you guys that have this track your cars?
Old 09-11-2015, 02:53 AM
Chance2
3rd Gear

Hi there. I have been a lurker for sometime, and I just checked my 2012.5 CPO car and it has these. Still think Porsche would be willing to warranty them?
Old 09-13-2015, 03:25 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 617 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Huncowboy
We have noticed these very small cracks on one side of the headlight. They run for a good 5-6 inches long on the edge of the light. The other headlight has them also but only for half an inch. We think we have not hit anything but you never really know. It does not look like damage from an object anyways because the paint along it has no damage. We life in FL and during the day the car does sit outside on the sun for hours, so I am starting to think this may be from the heat. Has anyone else seen these?

By the way, the car is always hand washed, and the light has no protective cover.
This is a known issue with the 991 headlights. Mine did the same after just 3 months of ownership. I originally was denied coverage by my local Porsche field rep who told me the damage must have been caused by me or someone prying on the headlight (!!). This was my first experience with Porsche ever for a warranty item and let's just say I was not a happy new Porsche customer. But an escalation to Porsche Customer Care and a sharing of this video with them helped resolve it quickly and got them replaced a week or so later:

Here's the kicker: it's been about 1-1.5 months since they were replaced, and I've been watching the new lights carefully, and they are already showing very small cracks beginning at some of the edges (too small to normally notice unless you are looking for them). They were perfect on day 1.

I'm taking pictures every week or two in prep for my case to get them replaced yet again once they get bad enough to become visible at standing height and start to bother me.

There is clearly a manufacturing issue... Seems like a luck of the draw.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

I posted this a long time ago.

Although English is not my first language, that original post of mine was exceptionally poorly written.

Anyways... No cracks on the replacement lights.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:17 AM
andyws6
6th Gear

Not to rehash an old issue however, I was just searching for threads on headlight cracks as I seem to have developed one. I posted in one of the other forums however it may be in the wrong place. I'll copy the post here. Any feedback is appreciated.

"I'm new to this forum board so if this is in the completely wrong place, I apologize. I was just hoping for some advice with regards to a headlight crack I have noticed recently. It does not appear to have been caused by a rock or physical impact as there is no palpable defect. The headlight is completely smooth to the touch and not even a small abrasion. I have seen some cases were things somewhat like these have been warrantied. What's your opinion? I hate to pay an obscene amount of money to replace this headlight if it was in fact atraumatic and potentially a manufacturing defect of sorts. I'm no expert here so just looking for feedback and what some of you would do in my shoes. Thanks in advance"
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Micro cracks on headlight